Laszlo Lovasz Talk TODAY at 4:00

From: Paul Beame (beame@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 14:36:03 PDT

    Sorry for the late notice in passing on this announcement!

    Combinatorics-Geometry seminar
    (Wednesday 5/12, at 4pm in PDL C-401) will be given by

                 Laszlo Lovasz of Microsoft.

    His title is:

           Graph homomorphisms, statistical physics, and quasirandom graphs

    Abstract:

    Counting homomorphisms between graphs has a surprising number of
    applications. Many models in statistical mechanics and many questions in
    extremal graph theory can be phrased in these terms.

    We introduce a matrix, which we call the connection matrix, and show that
    this is positive semidefinite (in statistical mechanics, this fact is
    called "reflection positivity"). We show that this fact contains many results
    in extremal graph theory and in the theory of quasirandom graphs.
    Through this, we find interesting applications of important techniques
    from statistical mechanics like cluster expansion and Dobrushin uniqueness.

    This is joint work with many people, including Christian Borgs, Jennifer
    Chayes,
    Mike Freedman, Jeff Kahn, Lex Schrijver, Vera Sos, Balazs Szegedy, Kati
    Vesztergombi,
    Dominic Welsh.