FW: Theory-Seminar Talk, Friday May 14, 11:30am EE1 045 Reminder

From: Anna Karlin (karlin@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 21:24:04 PDT

    TITLE: Polynomial time algorithms to compute market equilibria.

    SPEAKER: Kamal Jain, Microsoft Research

    Abstract: I will present some of the recent developments in the area of
    computing market equilibria with an emphasis on my latest work titled,
    "A polynomial time algorithm for computing the Arrow-Debreu Market
    Equilibrium for Linear Utilities". Existence of market equilibria was
    first conjectured in 1874 and formally proven in 1954 by two Nobel
    laureates, Arrow and Debreu. Their existence theorem holds for any
    concave utility function. The case of linear utilities provides a lot of
    simplification and a real opportunity to understand computational
    issues. For this reason, this case of linear utilities was heavily
    studied (at least for quarter century), which is recently settled in
    last December.