4/21/2004 Maximizing the Spread of Influence in a Social Network; David Kempe - University of Washington

From: Jennifer Janzen (jennifer@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 08:55:24 PDT

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: David Kempe

    AFFILIATION: University of Washington

    TITLE: Maximizing the Spread of Influence in a Social
    Network

    WHEN: Wed 4/21/2004

    WHERE: Microsoft Campus - Building 113 - 1021 Research Lecture
    Room

    TIME: 1:30PM-3:00PM

    HOST: Dimitris Achlioptas

    CONTACT: Jennifer Janzen (jennifer@microsoft.com)

    NOTE: If attending, please e-mail your name and UW
    affiliation to above contact

                            Directions are on the web by clicking on
    "Visiting MSR" at http://www.research.microsoft.com
    <http://www.research.microsoft.com/>

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

    A social network - the graph of relationships and interactions within a
    group of individuals - plays a fundamental role as a medium for the
    spread of information, ideas, and influence among its members. An idea
    or innovation will appear - for example, the use of cell phones among
    college students, the adoption of a new drug within the medical
    profession, or the rise of a political movement in an unstable society -
    and it can either die out quickly or make significant inroads into the
    population.

    The resulting collective behavior of individuals in a social network has
    a long history of study in sociology. Recently, motivated by
    applications to word-of-mouth marketing, Domingos and Richardson
    proposed the following optimization problem: allocate a given
    "advertising" budget so as to maximize the (expected) number of
    individuals who will have adopted a given product or behavior.

    In this talk, we will investigate this question under the mathematical
    models of influence studied by sociologists. We present and analyze a
    simple approximation algorithm, and show that it guarantees to reach at
    least a 1-1/e (roughly 63%) fraction of what the optimal solution can
    achieve, under many quite general models. In addition, we experimentally
    validate our algorithm, comparing it to several widely used heuristics
    on a data set consisting of collaborations among scientists.

    (joint work with Jon Kleinberg and Eva Tardos)

    BIO:

    David Kempe is a PostDoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer
    Science & Engineering at the University of Washington, working with
    Prof. Anna Karlin. Before coming to Seattle, he obtained a PhD from
    Cornell University, under the guidance of Prof. Jon Kleinberg. His
    research interests are centered around the dynamics of information flow
    in networks and its connections with decentralized algorithms, and
    lately, questions relating to auctions and mechanism design.