3/5/04 - Content Delivery - Practice and Principles - Ravi Sundaram - Northeastern University & Akamai Technologies

From: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\) (a-kellim@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 11:21:41 PST

    When: Friday, March 05, 2004 10:30 AM-12:00 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana.
    Where: 113/2181

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    You are invited to attend...
    WHO: Ravi Sundaram
    AFFILIATION: Northeastern University & Akamai Technologies
    TITLE: Content Delivery - Practice and Principles
    WHEN: Fri 3/5/04
    WHERE: 113/2181 Conference Room, Microsoft Research
    TIME: 10:30am to 12:00pm
    HOST: László Lovász
    ABSTRACT:
    In the short span of 5 years content delivery networks have established themselves as an integral part of the Internet infrastructure.
    Akamai, the world's largest content delivery network has deployed over 13,000 servers on 1,000 networks at 1,500 locations around the world. These servers deliver html documents, static images, and streaming media for over 1,300 of the most popular content providers on the web. Over the years Akamai's systems have had to contend with staggering growth as well as events ranging from network partitions to denial of service attacks. Our experience has been that solid engineering backed by sound principles and efficient algorithms is critical for scalable and robust systems.

    In this talk we consider the problem of mapping - directing browsers to servers - which is central to content delivery networks. We present a study of mapping from an engineering and experiential standpoint. We explore specifically the issues involved in directing traffic to website mirrors. Using topology discovery, clustering, congestion measurement and load-balancing algorithms we show how FirstPoint, Akamai's DNS-based application-level anycast service, has measurably improved the performance of many leading websites.

    BIO:
    Ravi was a Director of Engineering and the head of the Mapping group at Akamai from 1999 to 2001. In this role he designed and built Akamai's core infrastructure for directing browsers to servers. His research led to the creation of a number of new services that are in use by companies such as Microsoft and Yahoo!. In an earlier life he used to be a bond trader at a leading hedge fund. Ravi has a BTech from IIT(Madras) and a PhD from MIT.