Reminder: Theory Seminar TODAY at 2:30PM in CSE403

From: Venkatesan Guruswami (venkat@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 08:56:50 PST

  • Next message: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\): "3/5/04 - Content Delivery - Practice and Principles - Ravi Sundaram - Northeastern University & Akamai Technologies"

    Today, in place of 590zz, we have:

    *************

    Special CSE Theory Seminar

    TIME: Wednesday, Feb 11, 2:30-3:20PM

    PLACE: CSE 403

    SPEAKER: Kunal Talwar
                      University of California, Berkeley

    TITLE: Approximating arbitrary metrics by tree metrics
                 OR
                 Divide and Conquer type approximation algorithms

    ABSTRACT:

    Given a metric we consider the problem of approximating it by a
    distribution over tree metrics. Since several problems, such as group
    steiner tree, are easier on trees, this has applications to approximation
    algorithms for several such problems. Bartal(1996) showed an upper bound
    of O(log^2 n) (later improved to O(logn loglog n)) for the distortion of
    such an embedding, and a lower bound of log n is known for expander
    graphs. We close this gap by showing a simple algorithm that achieves
    O(log n) distortion.

    Our techniques apply more broadly to divide and conquer type approximation
    algorithms for various problems (e.g. minimum linear arrangement). Our
    decomposition techniques have also found other applications to metric
    embeddings.

    (Joint work with Jittat Fakcharoenphol and Satish Rao)