Updated: 7/13/2004 The Giant Component; Joel Spencer, Courant Institute, New York

From: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\) (a-kellim@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 15:52:24 PDT

    Updated Host: Jeong Han Kim.

    ________________________________

    From: Kelli McGee (Kelly Services Inc)
    Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 8:37 AM
    To: 'msrtalks@math.washington.edu'; 'theory-group@cs.washington.edu'
    Cc: Kelli McGee (Kelly Services Inc)
    Subject: 7/13/2004 The Giant Component; Joel Spencer, Courant Institute,
    New York

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: Joel Spencer

    AFFILIATION: Courant Institute, New York

    TITLE: The Giant Component

    WHEN: Tue 7/13/2004

    WHERE: 113/1159 Research Lecture Room, Microsoft Research

    TIME: 3:30PM-5:00PM

    HOST: Jeong Han Kim

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

    In 1960 Paul Erdos and Alfred Renyi showed that the random graph G(n,p)
    with p=c/n and c>1 contained, with high probability, a "giant
    component," whose size was roughly yn for an explicit y=y(c). We today
    consider the phase transition at c=1 and the subcritical, c<1, and
    supercritical, c>1, regimes as prime examples of percolation behavior.
    We give a somewhat novel approach to examining the giant component. We
    are able to derive the local joint distribution on the number of
    vertices and edges of the giant component. Applying some reverse
    engineering we are then able to find, in certain ranges, the asymptotics
    for the number C(k,l) of connected labelled graphs on k vertices with

    k-1+l edges.

    BIO:

    Joel Spencer is a Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science at the
    Courant Institute, New York. His research centers on the intersection
    of Discrete Mathematics, Theoretical Computer Science, and Probability.
    His books include "The Probabilistic Method" (with Noga Alon) and "The
    Strange Logic of Random Graphs." He is cofounder (with Michal Karonski)
    of the journal Random Structures and Algorithms.