7/2/2004 The Number of Linear Extensions of the Boolean Lattice; Prasad Tetali, School of Mathematics & College of Computing Georgia Tech., Atlanta

From: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\) (a-kellim@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 09:26:54 PDT

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: Prasad Tetali

    AFFILIATION: School of Mathematics & College of Computing Georgia
    Tech., Atlanta

    TITLE: The Number of Linear Extensions of the Boolean
    Lattice

    WHEN: Fri 7/02/2004

    WHERE: 113/1159 Research Lecture Room, Microsoft Research

    TIME: 3:30PM-5:00PM

    HOST: Jennifer Chayes

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

    Let L(Q^t) denote the number of linear extensions of the t-dimensional
    Boolean lattice Q^t, for t>1. We use an entropy technique of J. Kahn
    to show that

    log(L(Q^t))/2^t = log{t choose t/2} - (3/2)log e + o(1),

    where the logarithms are base 2, and o(1) goes to zero as t goes to
    infinity. We also find the exact maximum number of linear extensions of
    a d-regular bipartite order on n elements, in the case when n is a
    multiple of 2d.

    This is joint work with Graham Brightwell (London School of Economics).

    BIO:

    Prasad Tetali is a Professor in School of Mathematics (with a partial
    appointment with the College of Computing) at Georgia Tech, where he has
    been since fall 1994. His current research interests lie in
    Combinatorics and Discrete Probability. Prasad will be visiting MSR
    (for about two weeks) until July 2nd, 2004 and he is in Room 2104 of
    Bldg. 113.