5/24/2004 Asymptotic Enumeration of Spanning Trees via Traces and Random Walks; Russell Lyons, Indiana University

From: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\) (a-kellim@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 09:44:17 PDT

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: Russell Lyons

    AFFILIATION: Indiana University

    TITLE: Asymptotic Enumeration of Spanning Trees via Traces
    and Random Walks

    WHEN: Mon 5/24/2004

    WHERE: 113/1021 Research Lecture Room, Microsoft Research

    TIME: 3:30PM-5:00PM

    HOST: Oded Schramm

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

    Methods of enumeration of spanning trees in a finite graph and relations
    to various areas of mathematics and physics have been investigated for
    more than 150 years. We will review the history and applications. Then
    we will give new formulas for the asymptotics of the number of spanning
    trees of a graph. A special case answers a question of McKay (1983) for
    regular graphs. The general answer involves a quantity for infinite
    graphs that we call ``tree entropy", which we show is a logarithm of a
    normalized determinant of the graph Laplacian for infinite graphs.
    Proofs involve new traces and the theory of random walks.

    BIO:

    Russell Lyons got his Ph.D. in 1983 from the University of Michigan in
    harmonic analysis. Several years later, he switched to probability
    theory. His areas of research now include random walks, models from
    statistical mechanics, trees, and determinantal probability measures.
    He has had several research fellowships and teaches at Indiana
    University.