4/24/2004 The phase transition for random subgraphs of the n-cube; Gordon Slade, University of British Columbia, Visiting MSR

From: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\) (a-kellim@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 15:47:18 PDT

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: Gordon Slade

    AFFILIATION: University of British Columbia, Visiting MSR

    TITLE: The phase transition for random subgraphs of the
    n-cube

    WHEN: Tue 4/27/2004

    WHERE: 113/1021 Research Lecture Room, Microsoft Research

    TIME: 3:30PM-5:00PM

    HOST: Jennifer Chayes

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

    The phase transition for random subgraphs of the complete graph has been
    extensively studied since the pioneering work of Erdos and Renyi in
    1960. In this talk, we describe several results which prove that in
    many respects the phase transition for random subgraphs of general
    high-dimensional transitive graphs is like the phase transition for the
    complete graph. Our results are most far-reaching when the transitive
    graph is the n-cube. In this case, which will be emphasized in the
    talk, we also prove that the critical threshold has an asymptotic
    expansion to all orders in 1/n, and we compute the first three terms of
    the expansion. The talk is based on collaborations with Christian
    Borgs, Jennifer Chayes, Remco van der Hofstad and Joel Spencer.
    Preprints are available at http://www.math.ubc.ca/~slade .

    BIO:

    Gordon Slade is a Professor of Mathematics at the University of British
    Columbia and a Visiting Researcher with the Theory Group at Microsoft
    Research. His research is in the general areas of probability theory
    and statistical mechanics. Much of his work uses an expansion method
    known as the lace expansion to analyze high-dimensional systems.