[Cse321] PS2 + readings

From: Venkatesan Guruswami (venkat@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 12:41:40 PDT

    Hi,

    1. Some clarifications about PS2. In problem 6, there is typo, the second implication should of course read
    \forall x P(x) -> \forall x Q(x)
    (the x's after both \forall's are missing).
    For problem 4, positive means greater than zero, and nonnegative means at least 0, or in other words positive or 0.

    2. Since we are doing stuff somewhat out of order from the text now, I wanted to clarify the relevant reading sections for the next week or so. So far we have covered Sections 1.1 to 1.5 of the book, and it will be good to read these, especially Sec 1.5 on Methods of proof, as it has some material on common fallacies and existence proofs (to mention couple of things) we didn't cover explicitly.
    We are going to skip over Sec 1.6 momentarily, but it has fairly basic material on sets which most of you might already be familiar with (feel free to skim this section as well).

    For next couple of lectures, the main relevant sections will be 3.3
    (what we did today about dominoes falling is discussed in a different  guise in the last paragraph of Sec 3.3).

    We will elucidate mathematical induction by proving some interesting, basic facts about integers, and so we will develop the material of Sec 2.4 in parallel, and will follow this up with material from Sec 2.5.

    -- Venkat