CSE 312: Foundations of Computing II, Winter 2021

Course Staff/Office Hours

In addition to the staff contact information, this page contains the most up-to-date listing of staff office hours. Office hours are subject to change, but we'll try to keep this page accurate at least a week into the future. Enter office hours through Zoom , and use the Office Hours Queue to pose questions.

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
8:00-9:00 Rahul Chandra Rishabh Patted
9:00-10:00
10:00-11:00 Tyler Nguyen Zoey Shi
11:00-12:00 Yukai Yan Jerome Paliakkara
12:00-13:00 Shreya Jayaraman
13:00-14:00 Hunter Schafer Logan Milandin Rahul Chandra
14:00-15:00 William Howard-Snyder Logan Milandin
15:00-16:00
16:00-17:00 Zoey Shi Harrison Bay Aleks Jovcic
17:00-18:00 Yukai Yan & Zoey Shi Xinyue Chen
18:00-19:00 Anna Goncharenko Phawin Prongpaophan Ashwin Banwari
19:00-20:00
20:00-21:00 Rachel Lin Joseph Azizeh Ege Caglar Luxi Wang Ege Caglar

• Rachel Lin (she/her) (Instructor)
  • rachel [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Office Hours: Mondays 8:00pm - 9:00pm PST

• My name is Rachel Lin. I am a professor at the Allen school. I work on cryptography, which uses probability and statistics a lot !
  • Hunter Schafer (he/him) (Instructor)
  • hschafer [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Office Hours: Tuesdays 1:00pm - 2:00pm PST

• Hi there! 🙋‍♂️ My name is Hunter! I’ve lived in Seattle for almost my whole life after a brief stint in Alaska, where I was born, and a couple of years in Minnesota. I did my undergrad and masters here at UW in the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering.

Funnily enough, I had absolutely no idea what computer science was when I started at UW. I took CSE 142 on a whim and enjoyed it enough to continue on to CSE 143, but not enough to commit to it as a field of study. It wasn’t until I became a teaching assistant for the 14x series did I really find my passion for computer science: teaching computer science. Since then, I’ve shaped my college and post-college career around teaching computer science. Since graduating with my masters, I’ve worked here at the Allen School as a Teaching Professor.

Outside of school and work, I (used to) spend most of time hanging out with friends: just enjoying quality time or going out and exploring new restaurants, coffee shops, or bars. Now, during the inside-times, I’ve tried to make a routine with my available free time. I’ve gotten into reading and cooking more regularly, I started practicing yoga, and I got back into practicing Spanish, all while drinking probably an unhealthy amount of coffee."

• Aleks Jovcic (he/they)
  • ajovcic [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section BC
  • Office Hours: Wednesdays 4:00pm - 5:00pm PST

• Hi everyone! My name is Aleks Jovcic, and I'm very excited to be one of your 312 TAs this quarter! I'm a junior in the Allen School and I have a huge passion for inclusive and equitable comp sci education. Beyond that, I also love tabletop roleplaying games, music, and filmmaking! Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything!
  • Harrison Bay (he/him)
  • hcybay [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AA
  • Office Hours: Tuesdays 4:00pm - 5:00pm PST

• Hi, I'm Harrison and I am a junior. I consider myself sort of a generalist at this point in my education, but I have been taking a lot of machine learning classes recently. I am from Albuquerque, New Mexico, but I was born in Texas. As a result, I am a big fan of the San Antonio Spurs. In my free time, I like to play basketball and get active, though it's not easy in these times... let me know if you've figured out a good routine!
  • Ashwin Banwari (he/him)
  • ash1152 [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AD
  • Office Hours: Wednesdays 6:00pm - 7:00pm PST

• I'm Ashwin, a sophomore studying CS. Outside of my interests in theoretical computer science, my two passions are traveling and music. My favorite scenic locations are Santorini, Sakhalin Island, and the Himalayas. My favorite music genres are classical music and video game music from games like Legend of Zelda or Assassin's Creed. For classical music, I'm a fan of Borodin and Rimsky-Korsakov.
  • Phawin Prongpaophan (he/him)
  • phawin [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AF/BF
  • Office Hours: Tuesdays 6:00pm - 7:00pm PST

• Hi! As you might have guessed from my name, I’m from Bangkok, Thailand. At the beginning of 21wi, I’m currently a junior, double major in Computer Science and Economics. Outside of the classes, I enjoy doing competitive programming. For a little more relaxing stuff, I love playing varieties of modern board games, where probability usually plays a significant role in decision-making.
  • Rahul Chandra (he/him)
  • rahulc7 [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section BC
  • Office Hours: Tuesdays 8:00 am - 9:00 am, Fridays 1:00pm - 2:00pm PST

• Hello! I'm Rahul, and I'm a junior double majoring in CS and Math. I love working on interesting math problems, especially with friends! On the less academic side, I also love to watch/play basketball(haven't done the latter in like 10 months...), so if you want to discuss basketball or CS/Math, please reach out!
  • Xinyue Chen (she/her)
  • chenxy20 [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section BB
  • Office Hours: Fridays 5:00pm - 6:00pm PST

• Hi! I'm Xinyue and I'm a master student in Allen School. I love Math and theoretical computer science. Outside of study, I like longboarding and playing video games. I have two cats at home and they are siblings. Please reach out if you want to discuss these stuff with me!
  • Shreya Jayaraman (she/her)
  • shreyaj [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AE/BE
  • Office Hours: Wednesdays 12:00pm - 1:00pm PST

• Hi everyone, I’m Shreya! I’m a junior studying Computer Science and super excited to be helping teach 312 this quarter. Outside of CS and teaching, I love listening to music, running and traveling. I hope you’ll reach out to me if you need help with anything, or just want to chat in this rather isolating time!
  • William Howard-Snyder (he/him)
  • howarwil [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AB
  • Office Hours: Mondays 2:00pm - 3:00pm PST

• Hello, my name is William! I'm a junior studying computer science and philosophy. Outside of school, I enjoy hanging out with friends, and playing tabletop games such as Catan and Secret Hitler. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need help with this course or just want to chat!
  • Yukai Yan (he/him)
  • yukaiy [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AE/BE
  • Office Hours: Mondays 11:00am - 12:00pm, Wednesdays* 5:00 - 6:00 pm
  • *Starting next week

• Hello there! My name is Yukai and I'm a Senior majoring in ACMS and CS. In my free time, I enjoy traveling. I have been to Canada, England, Italy, and some Asian countries (right now I am computing the probability of me stepping out of my apartment this year). Feel free to come to my office hour, and I look forward to getting to know all of you throughout this quarter!
  • Anna Goncharenko (she/her)
  • angonch [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AC
  • Office Hours: Mondays 6:00pm - 7:00pm PST

• Hi! My name is Anna and I am a junior majoring in computer science. I am so excited to TA 312 this quarter! In my free time I enjoy crocheting, going on walks, and trying to be better at chess. Please reach out if you need anything!
  • Tyler Nguyen (he/him)
  • tyler543 [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AB
  • Office Hours: Tuesdays 10:00am - 11:00am PST

• Hi, everyone! I'm Tyler and I'm a sophomore studying CS and Linguistics. Outside of school stuff, I spend most of my free time playing games (I've been hooked on Apex Legends lately). My other interests include collecting mechanical pencils, singing karaoke, and being bad at ping pong. If you ever want to chat about anything, feel free to send me a message! I'm really excited to work with you all this quarter.
  • Rishabh Patted (he/him)
  • rsp22 [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AA
  • Office Hours: Fridays 8:00am - 9:00am PST

• Hey all! I'm Rish and I'm a rising senior. I'm excited to be a TA for this class with you guys! Outside of School, I enjoy singing, meditating, photography and just talking to new people! Fun Fact - I have been studying remotely for about 9 months now since the pandemic hit! I look forward to having meaningful conversations with you guys especially during these trying times.
  • Joseph Azizeh (he/him)
  • josephaz [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section BD
  • Office Hours: Tuesdays 8:00pm - 9:00pm PST

• Hi, I'm Joseph. I'm a senior and I have TAed CSE 312 a few times before. Really excited to be teaching again. Fun fact about me is that I like to row, and I spend ~16-20 hours a week training.
  • Jerome Paliakkara (he/him)
  • jeromp [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section BB
  • Office Hours: Wednesdays 11:00am - 12:00pm PST

• Hi, I'm Jerome, a senior and 5th year master's student. I've been a TA for CSE 312 once before, and it's probably my favorite theoretical CS course. I enjoy dank memes, hiking and listening to rock/punk/hip-hop. I'm also mildly obsessed with playing cards and magic, so ask me about it :)
  • Luxi Wang (she/her)
  • louis99 [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section BA
  • Office Hours: Thursdays 8:00pm - 9:00pm PST

• Hi! My name is Luxi, and this is my third quarter TAing for CSE 312. I am a senior CS and Math student, and my interest is Machine Learning and System programming. I know a lot of students wish to take Machine Learning when they are taking this class, and since I have TAed 446 once, do feel free to ask me anything about it. I also enjoy playing the violin, especially Bach.
  • Zoey Shi (she/her)
  • shiz27 [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AF/BF
  • Office Hours: Mondays 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm, Wednesdays* 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm, Fridays** 10:30am - 11:30am PST
  • * starting next week. ** removing next week

• Hi there, I'm Zoey, a junior studying both math and CS. I TAed for 311 last quarter, so some of you may know me:) Outside of school, I love classical music and strategy games (and Zelda); when it's warm I like water sports (oh the golden days). Feel free to reach out to me!
  • Ege Caglar (he/him)
  • cagege [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section BD
  • Office Hours: Wednesdays 8:00 - 9:00 pm, Fridays 8:00pm - 9:00pm PST

• Hello, I'm Ege, a Math and CS junior student. This is my first quarter TAing and I'm really excited to be here. 312 was one of my favourite classes and I hope you will also enjoy it as much as I did. Outside of Math and CS, I really love baking and singing. I returned to Seattle after working remotely from Istanbul for 9 months, and getting help from others really made that possible, so please feel free to reach out for anything at all (even at different time zones).
  • Logan Milandin (he/him)
  • mi1andin [at] cs.washington.edu
  • Section AC
  • Office Hours: Tuesdays 2:00pm - 3:00pm, Wednesdays 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm PST

• Hey, I'm Logan! I was born and raised in Bothell (30 minutes north of Seattle), and I'm a junior at UW studying Computer Science and minoring in Physics. I used to run track, but now I like to stay in shape via a combination of running, biking, swimming, and rock climbing. My less active hobbies include programming and reading, and I'm also an active member of Theta Xi fraternity.