Hi, I'm Jennifer

A Little Bit About Me

I'm a second year undergraduate student at the University of Washington (UW) pursuing degrees in computer science, math, and maybe psychology. I haven't decided quite yet, but I hope to be able to use my skills to enter the data science industry. Along with my coding experience and math skills, I also have experience with communication and design. Down below I have dedicated sections to each of these ideas, along with a brief discussion of what I am currently working on.

What I'm Up to Now

Right now I'm doing summer quarter at UW while working retail at Victoria's Secret at Belleve Square Mall, so if you're ever there around closing time, ask for Jennifer and I'd be happy to help you!

At UW I'm currently taking Biopsychology, Computer Programming II, and Web Development. In these courses, I'll be learning a lot of neuroscience, data structures with Java, and front-end and back-end web development using HTML, CSS, Javascript, and SQL.

Starting sometime in late July, I'll be working at UW Medical Center as a research helper analyzing MRIs of animal hearts with Dr. Anna Naumova. To prepare for this internship, I'll be spending the next few months reading all about Phillips MRI software, familiarizing myself with cardiology, and reading Cardiovasular Magnetic Resonance. If that sounds interesting to you, you can check out the book on Amazon here.

The Mathematician

In my opinion, my mathematics background is one of, if not the most universally relevant skills. At the moment, I have completed the calculus series, taken differential equations, and am enrolled in a matrix algebra course for the fall. I have also recieved credit for the introductory statistics course, which I took in high school. I am familiar with Microsoft Excel and have used it for several projects, including scientific labs, economic analysis, statistical validation of populations, and personal social media data trends. I have also worked as a math tutor, tutoring in Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus and Calculus II.

Having taken a variety of different classes, I have a background in mathematical applications. I have taken classes like economics, which make me familiar with how to interpret data based on maximixing profit and minimizing costs. I also have some experience solving problems related to ecology, biology, psychology, chemistry, and physics. I have practice applying my math background to many different disciplines, and would love the opportunity to expand my knowledge further.

The Coder

Despite the fact that I only first started learning how to code in late 2018, I have made a lot of progress in familiarizing myself with a few languages. While I am mostly working on being a better web developer right now, I am very familiar with Java as my strongest language. Here's a list of the languages I am familar with:

I am still working with these languages to improve. Over the course of the next few months, I plan on adding the following to this list:

The Designer

Thanks to some strong encouragement from my parents and elementary school teachers, I have been drawing for the better part of about fifteen years. While the majority of that time was spent working in traditional naturalistic art, my strong foundation in natrualism gave me the skills I needed to quickly pick up other types of art. I have managed to make myself familiar in all of the following:

I also have experience using both Adobe Indesign in newspaper publishing and Adobe Photoshop. Feel free to take a look at some of my work by looking at my Instagram page, which features my weekly-updated art. You can also take a look at my Gallery.

The Communicator

Over the years I have grown as a writer and a speaker through various extracurricular activities as well as writing courses I have taken over the years. As a high school student I joined the debate team, and over the four years I debated for Newport High School, I became a skilled orator, leading me to achieve the rank of Superior Distinction from the National Speech and Debate Association, as well as their Academic All American Award. I also qualified for the National Speech and Debate Tournament in 2016 and 2017, and in the process mastered oral communication. I used these skills to work for Climb the Mountain Speech and Debate Foundation in 2018 as a camp assistant, and taught middle and high school age students how to debate in various different competition settings effectively.

Writing what probably amounts to hundreds of arguments has also made me a skilled writer. Combined with other classes, I have learned to write in a variety of different contexts. Taking classes like the lab sciences, statistics, and a capstone class has helped me learn the skills it takes to write strong reports and research papers. I also have experience as the editor of my high school newspaper, for which I was an editor for one year. In this role I was responsible for writing some articles to be published, as well as editing the articles for the news section of the paper, as well as laying out their pages.

I have a strong sales background, having worked at both Theresa H. Nguyen Stat Farm agency and Victoria's Secret.