CSE 142, Winter 2022: Course Staff

Instructor

Please use cse142-instructors@cs.washington.edu to contact instructors about course logistics.

profile picture of Brett Wortzman
  • Support hours:
    • TBA
  • Hi, I'm Brett! I grew up outside of Boston, MA and moved to Seattle after college. I earned my B.A. in Computer Science from Harvard University and my M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction from UW. This is my fifth year teaching in the Allen School. Before I came here, I developed curriculum and trained teachers for Microsoft's TEALS program, taught CS at Issaquah High School, and worked as a developer at Microsoft. Outside of teaching, I am a high school football official, a frequent volunteer at local FIRST Robotics events, and an avid board game and RPG player.

profile picture of Kasey Champion
  • Kasey Champion
  • she/her
  • Instructor
  • champk@cs
  • Support hours:
    • TBA
  • I was born just outside Vancouver, Canada. Moved to the bay area when I was 11 months old and then to Seattle when I was 7 so I'm about as "west coast" as they come. I went to UW for undergrad where I studied Electrical Engineering (embedded systems) but TA'd 143 for 9 quarters so I decided to go full software post graduation. I have had a lot of different and weird tech jobs since graduation but teaching is my true love so I teach AP Computer Science A at Franklin High School in addittion to 373 and my day job.

Let's talk tech careers! Other less tech specific obsessions: my 1969 VW bus, camping, Disneyland, drag & burlesque, training service dogs.

Teaching Assistants

profile picture of Ana Jojic
  • Hi there, I'm Ana! For starters, the puppy in the picture is not mine :( although I do have the best cat in the world. Her name is Cream, but we call her Metz, and a good chunk of my Snapchat memories is just Metz videos. Taylor Swift saved my 2020-2021 with folklore (AOTY!!!), evermore, Fearless (Taylor's Version) and most recently Wildest Dreams (Taylor's Version) and I am counting down the days until Red (Taylor's Version) is out (November 12th mark your calendars). To anticipate any "it sounds the same" comments, I will point you to this tweet: https://twitter.com/alexandergold/status/1439297889126080513?s=21

profile picture of Ray He
  • Ray He
  • they/them
  • Deputy Head TA
  • hedr@uw
  • I'm a senior in my 13th quarter of TAing CSE142. I'm really excited to be managing 142 grading this quarter! Outside of my TAing duties, I like to bike, build computer servers, and teach math and sciences to students in Bellevue. Stay safe this quarter and see yall in lecture!

profile picture of Eyad Alsilimy
  • Coming soon!

profile picture of Poojitha Arangam
  • Hi, my name is Poojitha! I'm a sophomore studying Computer Science and Mathematics. I grew up in Mukilteo, WA, just outside of the Seattle area. In my free time, I love to play tennis, bake sweet treats, and go on hikes. This is my 4th quarter of being a TA! I look forward to meeting all of you! Let's have a great time this quarter in CSE 142!

profile picture of Ido Avnon
  • Hi all! My name is Ido, and I use he/him pronouns! I grew up in Seattle and am currently a Sophomore hoping to study education and computer science! I am super passionate about exposing people to new ideas and things they have never heard of, which is why I am so excited to be TA'ing the intro series! My hobbies include birdwatching, making music with my friends, and cooking.

profile picture of Andrew Awada
  • Hi I'm Andrew! I'm a sophomore studying to be a computer engineer. A couple hobbies I enjoy are running and chess, but I'm really spontaneous so I'm always down to try new things. I've lived in many places all around the world, so if you ask me where I'm from, I'll probably answer differently every time. Looking forward to making sure 142 is as fun as possible this quarter :)

profile picture of Julia Ball
  • Hi! My name is Julia, and I'm a senior majoring in CS. I'm from Edmonds, WA and in my spare time I like to draw, play video games and bake. I'm minoring in Education, Learning and Society, and I'm very passionate about CS education, so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email! I look forward to meeting all of you and having a great quarter.

profile picture of Muskan Bawa
  • Hi everyone, my name is Muskan Bawa and I am a junior in the Computer Science major. I am from New Delhi, India. I worked as an Orientation Leader this summer, so I might know a few of you :) Outside work, I love travelling and exploring new things, especially the outdoors with my family and friends. I also love watching rom-com or thriller movies and sitcom tv series. I enjoy meeting new people and I am always here to help you all, so feel free to reach out to me :)

profile picture of Jacob Berg
  • Hello, I'm Jacob! I grew up in Seattle and am studying Computer Science with a particular interest in robotics. In my spare time I enjoy playing hockey, walking my dog, and playing board games with friends. Looking forward to meeting you all this quarter!

profile picture of Ton Bodin
  • Hi, My name is Ton! I am from Bellevue, Washington and this is my second quarter as a CSE 142 TA. I am a computer science major going into my second year, and I'm also planning to minor in Mathematics. Outside of the classroom, I love travelling the world, listening to pop music, and watching/playing sports. I'm a Mariners megafan, and I can talk for days about baseball. I'm looking forward to meeting y'all and excited for a fun quarter!

profile picture of Nicholas Boren
  • Nicholas Boren
  • they/them
  • Section AP
  • nboren@uw
  • Hi everyone! I'm Nicholas! I've lived in the Seattle area my whole life, and I'll be applying for Mathematics and Computer Science this quarter. Before I took CSE 142 and 143 I was initially a Music Major, after I took CSE 143 I had fallen in love with the subject. Aside from teaching I am currently working with The Department of History on the Racial Restrictive Covenants Project. As a part of this project I have created scripts that analyze and process millions of Washington Deeds for Racial Language. If anyone wants to learn more about the project feel free to send an email and I'm happy to chat about it :)

profile picture of Jessica Burroughs
  • Hi, my name is Jessica! I'm a second-year CS student from a small-ish town called Yelm, which is down south of Seattle in Washington State. This is my second quarter as a TA, but I'm extremely excited to be TAing this course. In my free time, I enjoy taking photos of clouds, walking in nice parks, and reading psychology or historical fiction books.

profile picture of Andrew Cheung
  • Friends! I'm Andrew, an upcoming fourth-year computer science student. This is my seventh quarter TAing for 142, and I'm super excited to meet you all! I love music, movies, and making cool stuff with code. My favorite musical artists are Kanye, Tyler, and Brockhampton. In my free time, I've been demolishing my closest friends and family in GamePigeon 8 Ball Pool. Hope to meet you soon!

profile picture of Shananda Dokka
  • Shananda Dokka
  • she/her
  • Section BG
  • sdokka@uw
  • Hi there, I'm Shananda! I am a sophomore majoring in Computer Science. This is my third quarter as a CSE TA. I was born in Singapore and lived there for seven years. In Singapore and after moving to Seattle, I've grown up around birds, and right now I have the best parakeet in the world named Boboy. Some of my favorite pastimes are rowing, dance, and I'm not going to lie but I'm a movie fanatic! I can't wait to work with all of you this quarter!

profile picture of Noa Ferman
  • Noa Ferman
  • she/her
  • Support TA
  • noaf7@uw
  • Hi everyone, I'm super excited to be TAing CSE142 this quarter. I am currently majoring in computer science. Outside of school, I enjoy staying active, exploring Seattle, and gaming.

profile picture of William Galvin
  • Hey, everyone, I'm William! I grew up near Seattle and this is my first year at UW—I don't have a major yet, but I'm hoping to eventually graduate :) Outside of school, I'm a very enthusiastic and very amatuer cook, enjoy weird science fiction, and have an unhealthy fascination with forcing computers to play chess. This is my first quarter TAing for 142, and I'm so excited to be working with you all!

profile picture of Serena A Gilani
  • Coming soon!

profile picture of Kyler Gray
  • Hi everyone! I'm Kyler and I'm going into my second year at UW studying computer engineering. I am happy to talk about anything CSE-related in or outside of this course but I also love football (go packers), hiking, snowboarding, and am trying to become a better cook. Feel free to drop by my support hours or email me any time to chat!

profile picture of Parker Gustafson
  • I'm from Vancouver, WA, though I've also lived in New York and Alaska. Growing up, Hockey was a huge part of my life. I played Goalie for the Portland Junior Hawks for several years. I discovered my CS passion through my High School Robotics Team (Go Geared Reaction!), and I've been nose deep every since. I like to work out, read, and play piano in my spare time.

profile picture of Vidhi Jain
  • Hello, my name is Vidhi Jain! I was born in Rajasthan, India, and moved to Seattle in 2012. I love the rainy/cold weather of Seattle. Currently, I am a sophomore pursuing a B.A. in Computer Science. In particular, I am very interested in exploring Artificial Intelligence and Data Science. This is my first quarter TAing for CSE 142. Outside of college, I enjoy watching new TV shows, spending time with my family/friends, and exploring new food places.

profile picture of Jacqueline Jou
  • Jacqueline Jou
  • she/her
  • Section AJ
  • jjou@uw
  • Hello, my name is Jacqueline! This is my first quarter as a TA and I couldn't be more excited to meet you all! Please don't hesitate to say hi or ask me any questions. For a little about me, I'm a sophomore and I was born and raised in Bellevue, just across the lake from UW. Some fun-ish facts about me: I used to swim on a club team so I enjoy being active, I LOVE food (mostly eating but sometimes cooking), I'm the youngest child in my family so I have some youngest child tendencies, and, not to hype this course up too much, but CSE 142 has been my favorite UW class to date!

profile picture of Yafqa Khan
  • I'm a computer engineering student and I'm really interested in both hardware and software. I've TA'd in an engineering workshop called ENGR 197 where I helped students with math 126, and I found that I really liked teaching. I'm very excited to be TA'ing for 14x this quarter!

profile picture of Lauren Kim
  • Hi everyone, I'm Lauren! I'm a third-year studying Computer Science and this will be my fifth quarter as a TA for 142. In my free time, I love cooking new recipes, traveling, and reading (let me know if you have any good historical fiction recs). Excited to meet you all this quarter!

profile picture of Andrew Kuhn
  • I lived all over the US growing up but most recently I'm from San Diego, California. I am currently studying Computer Science in the Allen School. In my free time, I make stained glass pieces, read fantasy series, and play Magic: The Gathering. Ask me about ants!

profile picture of Anju Lam
  • Hi, I'm Anju! I'm from Malaysia and I'm a sophomore majoring in ACMS. Outside of school, I like to bake, watch anime, and hangout with friends. I also really enjoy cafe hopping so hit me up if you ever want to catch coffee together! This will be my first quarter TAing and I'm super excited to get to know all of you :)

profile picture of Joe Lang
  • Coming soon!

profile picture of Aerin Malana
  • Hi <3 I'm a 4th-year majoring in Computer Science and minoring in Diversity Studies! I'm a Filipina (Ilokana) settler on unceded Duwamish and Coast Salish land (from Kent, WA). My interests in CS include networking, databases, and justice-centered and equitable CS pedagogy (hoping to become a high school CS teacher in the near future :D). Some of my favorite things include elite gymnastics (the 2012 u.s. olympic team<3), NCT, Game of Thrones (s1-s7), and avocado smoothies! If there's anything that I can do to make your CSE 142 experience better, please feel free to reach out!!

profile picture of Mitchell Massie
  • Mitchell Massie
  • he/him
  • Section AQ
  • belief@uw
  • Lifelong PNW brat, taking my sweet time finishing studies of Finance and Computer Science. This makes 5 quarters as a 14x TA, and I'm hyped for another round of remote learning with you all! Don't be a stranger this quarter, we're here to help :)

profile picture of Michelle Morris
  • I'm a sophomore majoring in computer science.

profile picture of Sravani Nanduri
  • My name is Sravani Nanduri (she/her), and I'm a freshman direct to computer science here at the UW. This is my first quarter as a TA, so I'm very excited. I've been coding and teaching coding for almost 6 years, and I've worked at various companies/labs and in various languages (Python, Java, R). Please use me as a resource if you have any questions at all about anything I listed above! Outside of coding, I also teach skiing, am part of ARUW (advanced robotics at UW), and I love cooking.

profile picture of Khai-Huy Nguyen
  • Hi, I'm Khai! I'm from all over the place, but my heart lies closest to Seattle. I love composing music that fits any mood, whether that's chill, romantic, tragic, or terrifying. When people ask me what genre my music is, I can't give a simple answer because there's no genre for "anime-esque classical jazz with a hint of electronic, lo-fi, and perhaps Disney." My inspiration for teaching has got to be Sal Khan, founder of Khan Academy, because he's a pioneer for making K-12 education free and accessible to everyone with an internet connection. I just began my journey at UW a few months ago, and I hope to pursue projects that strengthen the intersection between Computer Science and Psychology

profile picture of Drew Nguyen
  • Hi everyone, I'm Drew! I'm a senior in CS and neuroscience, and this is my fifth quarter TAing for 142. Outside of classes and work, I like to draw, read sci-fi, and cook. I'm also into Dungeons and Dragons, Magic the Gathering, and Apex Legends. Looking forward to a great in-person quarter with you all!

profile picture of Shreyash Nigam
  • Hello! I am Shreyash. I am a senior studying Computer Science. I was born in India and moved to Seattle for college. In my free time, I love playing soccer and hiking. I'm super excited for this in-person quarter and cannot wait to meet you all!

profile picture of Ramya Prabakar
  • Hi everyone! I'm Ramya, and I am in my second year of college at UW studying computer science. I love singing, baking, and watching shows in my free time. I also really enjoy mathematics and coding. I am super excited to be TAing this quarter and am looking forward to meeting you all!

profile picture of Adithi Raghavan
  • Hi everyone! My name is Adithi! I'm a CS major interested in entrepreneurship and education. Outside of school, I enjoy watching F1/soccer, baking, and watching cat videos. I look forward to meeting you all this quarter!

profile picture of Jun Song
  • Hi, I'm Jun! I am a senior at UW studying CS. My friends and I developed an app called KiwiLink that matches UW students with similar interests, including finding study buddies! If you guys want to find study buddies for CSE 142, feel free to use the app!

profile picture of Yoonseo Song
  • Hi, I'm Yoonseo! I'm a third year student studying computer engineering and pursuing a minor in neural computation and engineering. I had my first programming experience in CSE 142 at UW, so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns about the class or programming. Outside of classes, I enjoy traveling, cooking, and watching Netfilx. This is my first quarter as a TA for CSE 142 and I am so excited to meet you all this quarter!

profile picture of Nicolas Matthew Suhardi
  • Nicolas Matthew Suhardi
  • he/him
  • Section AC
  • nicmatt@uw
  • Hey y'all, my name is Nicolas and I'm a sophomore from Indonesia. I am studying chemistry, but I have a big interest in web dev, CS pedagogy and other CS related stuff. I'm also curious about a lot of stuff, so HMU if you want to talk about anything! I have an unspoken bond with Indomie (best instant ramen in the world, don't @me hahaha), gigantic monitors, and RGB things. Recently started taking care of carnivorous plants (my childhood dream!). Hopefully they are big enough to showcase by the end of this quarter ^_^

profile picture of Thien Tran
  • Hey, I'm Thien! This will be my second quarter as a TA for CSE 142 (the best class at UW - change my mind). Aside from being a student and TA, I'm also involved in computational biology research. In my spare time, I make Spotify playlists, take care of my plants, go hiking, bake bread, and look at pictures of dogs. I look forward to meeting and working with you all :)

profile picture of Justin Ung
  • Hello everyone, my name is Justin and I am a junior studying Informatics. In my free time, I enjoy lap swimming, playing TFT, and reading manga and manhwa. Let me know if you want to lap swim together or want some reading recommendations. I'm excited to meet you all!

profile picture of Julia Wendling
  • Julia Wendling
  • she/her
  • Section AR
  • jwendl@uw
  • Hi! I grew up in San Jose, CA and came to UW in 2018 very unsure of what I wanted to study. I am now a senior studying CS and this is my first quarter being a TA. In my free time I like to go on hikes/walks with my dog and do small sewing projects.

profile picture of Claris Winston
  • Hi! I'm Claris, and I'm a sophomore majoring in computer science. Outside of school, I enjoy gymnastics, drawing, baking, and composing music. Looking forward to a great quarter with you all!

profile picture of Elizabeth Xiong
  • Elizabeth Xiong
  • she/her
  • Section AN
  • xionge@uw
  • Hi, I'm Elizabeth! I'm a second year from Vancouver WA, majoring in computer science and art history. Some of my favorite things are oil painting, cats, jasmine green tea, and quality time with friends. I'm really excited for this quarter, and looking forward to working with you all!

profile picture of Mia Yamada-Heidner
  • Mia Yamada-Heidner
  • she/her
  • Section BC
  • miayh@uw
  • Hi! My name is Mia, and I'm currently a freshman majoring in Computer Science (and also hoping to minor in Chinese). I took CSE 143 last quarter, and this will be my first time TA-ing, which I am thrilled about. Outside of classes, I enjoy experimenting with new dessert recipes, creating playlists on Spotify, and finding new TV series to watch. I am so excited meet and work with everyone this quarter. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would just like to chat!

profile picture of Andrew Zhang
  • Hi,I'm Andrew! I use he/him pronouns. I grew up around the Chicago area and I am currently a sophomore studying computer science. I am particularly interested in computing and data accessibility, which I am exploring through research and projects. Outside of school,I love traveling and hiking, jamming out to R&B, and checking out cool restaurants around me. This is my first quarter as a TA and I'm excited to meet y'all!

profile picture of Jolie Zhou
  • Hello, I'm Jolie! I'm a freshman and this is my first quarter as a TA for 142. I enjoy amigurumi crochet as well as baking (but unfortunately something always goes wrong so I end up making very suspicious foods). Looking forward to working with you all :D

Support Hours

Support hours will be hosted by TAs via the Introductory Programming Lab (IPL).

The IPL is open:

• 12:30pm to 9:30pm Monday through Thursday
  • 12:30pm through 6:30pm Friday
  • 1:30pm through 3:30pm Saturday and Sunday

See the full schedule for TA shifts and more details.