CSE 142, Spring 2021: Course Staff

Course staff

This page shows all of the course staff, their contact information, and their support hours. All support hours will be held online.

All times are in PDT (local time in Seattle). You can use this page or Google to convert times to your local time zone.

Instructor

profile picture of Miya Natsuhara
  • Miya Natsuhara
  • she/her
  • Instructor
  • mnats@cs
  • Coffee hours:
    • Wed 1:00pm-2:00pm
    • Thurs 8:30-9:30am
  • Hi all, I'm Miya! I graduated with a BS in Computer Science and BA in Mathematics from UW and TAed for CSE 142 during much of that time. I am also a software engineer at Microsoft, and have been working remotely since starting in April 2020. Outside of teaching and Microsoft, I spend lots of time with my fluffy tricolor corgi Gumball and enjoy knitting.

profile picture of Brett Wortzman
  • Hi, I'm Brett! I grew up outside of Boston, MA and moved to Seattle after college. I earned my B.A. in Computer Science from Harvard University and my M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction from UW. This is my fourth year teaching in the Allen School. Before I came here, I developed curriculum and trained teachers for Microsoft's TEALS program, taught CS at Issaquah High School, and worked as a developer at Microsoft. Outside of teaching, I am a high school football official, a frequent volunteer at local FIRST Robotics events, and an avid board game and RPG player.

Teaching Assistants

profile picture of Omar Ibrahim
  • Omar Ibrahim
  • he/they
  • Head TA; Section A1
  • oibra@uw
  • Support hours:
    • Thurs 3:00pm-5:00pm
  • Hey y'all, I'm Omar. I'm a senior at UW studying Computer Science with a minor in Informatics. I'm very passionate about CS education and ethics research, and I'm happy to talk about either anytime! Outside of academia, I love music (playing, writing, listening; all of it), playing video games (really big into Hades right now), watching anime, and cooking, among other things. Looking forward to getting to know y'all this quarter!

profile picture of Poojitha Arangam
  • Support hours:
    • Sat 1:30pm-3:30pm
  • Hi, my name is Poojitha! I'm a freshman in the College of Engineering, intending on majoring in Computer Engineering. I grew up in Mukilteo, WA, just outside of the Seattle area. In my free time, I love to play tennis, bake sweet treats, and go on hikes. I am very excited to be a TA for CSE 142 this spring quarter, and I look forward to meeting all of you!

profile picture of Julia Ball
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 1:00pm-2:00pm
    • Thurs 4:00pm-5:00pm
  • Hey, I'm Julia! I'm from Edmonds, Washington and I'm a junior majoring in CS and minoring in Education. This is my second quarter teaching 142, and I'm excited for the upcoming quarter! Outside of school, I like spending too much time making PowerPoint slides, drawing and playing the violin.

profile picture of Jeremy Chen
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 10:00am-12:00pm
  • Hi, I'm Jeremy! I'm from Sammamish, Washington finishing up my third year studying CS. I've had a great time TAing for this course and hope that you all enjoy it! Outside of TA/school work, I enjoy playing video games/badminton and watching anime :)

profile picture of Sandy Cheng
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 1:30pm-2:30pm
    • Wed 12:30pm-1:30pm
  • Hey everyone, I'm Sandy! I'm a sophomore majoring in computer science. I'm also passionate about biology and sustainability, and grew up in sunny Florida before moving to the beautiful PNW. Outside of school, you can usually find me sight-reading piano pieces (to the dismay of my roommates), hiking in the rain, or *attempting* to bake layer cakes.

profile picture of Andrew Cheung
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 11:30am-1:30pm
  • Friends! I'm Andrew, a third-year computer science student. This is my sixth quarter TAing for 142, and I'm super excited to meet you all! I love music, movies, and making cool stuff with code. My favorite musical artists are Kanye, Tyler, and Brockhampton. In my free time, I've been trying to watch more TV so let me know if you have any recommendations. Hope to meet you soon!

profile picture of Anthony Chung
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 5:00pm-6:00pm
    • Wed 5:00pm-6:00pm
  • Hey everyone, my name is Anthony! I am a second-year studying CS with a minor in ELS. I like to spend my free time drinking boba and eating tacos. My go-to boba fluctuates between an oolong milk tea or a ginger milk tea. I look forward to a great quarter with all of you!

profile picture of Thevina Dokka
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 3:30pm-5:30pm
  • Hi! My name is Thevina and I am a sophomore majoring in CS and Math. When I'm not coding, I love to sing and am part of the UW Chorale. I've also taken up baking goods over quarantine. Some of my other hobbies include playing the violin and rowing. CSE 142 was a great introduction to CS and I hope to make it a great one for you too. I am super excited for this quarter and look forward to getting to know everyone!

profile picture of Paul Druta
  • Support hours:
    • Fri 9:30am-11:30am
  • Hello! My name is Paul and this is my third quarter TAing CSE 142. I am from Sammamish, Washington and I am a junior studying Computer Science (Data Science option). Outside of school, I enjoy going on hikes, reading, and playing basketball, tennis, soccer, and fantasy football.

profile picture of Noa Ferman
  • Noa Ferman
  • she/her
  • Section AJ
  • Noaf7@cs
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 3:00pm-5:00pm
  • Hello! My name is Noa and I am a freshman studying computer science! I was born in Israel, but have lived in Redmond for most of my life. Outside of school I enjoy watching The Bachelor/Bachelorette, exploring new places, and running (Luca’s Instagram (@lucaluithegsd)).

profile picture of Kyler Gray
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 6:00pm-8:00pm
  • Hi everyone! I'm Kyler and am hoping to major in Computer Engineering at UW. I grew up in a tiny town in southwest Washington and love the outdoors. I enjoy hiking, backpacking, snowboarding, and am also a big Packers fan. Looking forward to an awesome quarter even if it is virtual!

profile picture of Sumant Guha
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 6:30pm-8:30pm
  • Hey I'm Sumant! Teaching has been one of my favorite parts of college so I'm very excited to share this experience with you all :)) I spent all of spring break getting bored of Netflix so hit me up with all the fun things you have been doing. Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

profile picture of Daniel He
  • Daniel He
  • they/them
  • Support TA
  • hedr@cs
  • Support hours:
    • Thurs 11:30am-1:30pm
  • I'm a junior from Bellevue, WA in my 10th quarter of TAing this awesome course. I'll be working on the grading team behind the scenes, so you won't see me in section. Outside of my TAing duties I split a lot of time between running a minecraft server and developing niche tech solutions for problems that I created.

profile picture of Ana Jojic
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 3:30-5:30pm
  • Hi there, I'm Ana! For starters, the puppy in the picture is not mine :( although I do have the best cat in the world. Her name is Cream, but we call her Metz, and a good chunk of my Snapchat memories is just Metz videos. My quarantine guilty pleasures include re-watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra, and listening to folklore and evermore on repeat (folklore won AOTY!!) I'm looking forward to jamming out to Fearless (Taylor's Version) and reliving my childhood this quarter in between intro Java content :)

profile picture of Rinav Kasthuri
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 11:30am-1:30pm
  • Hi there! I'm a sophomore who spent spring break sleeping a lot :). My main sources of pleasure right now are drinking tea (black, peppermint, and Earl Grey) and listening to Undertale music. I'm super excited to work with y'all this quarter!

profile picture of Lauren Kim
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 8:00pm-10:00pm
  • Hi, my name is Lauren! I'm studying Computer Science, and since coming to UW, I've been involved in NLP and accessibility research. In my free time, I like to read and I love traveling (I've also been getting into cooking recently). Looking forward to a great remote quarter with you all!

profile picture of Joe Lang
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 8:00-10:00pm
    • Wed 11:30am-1:30pm
  • Hey everyone, I'm Joe. I'm a Junior pursuing a double degree in computer science and Chinese. I grew up in England and was born in Korea, then moved to Seattle for college. In my free time I climb and train, play jazz guitar, listen to music (I love soul music) and play games. I'm excited to meet and code with you all this quarter!!!

profile picture of Elizabeth Lin
  • Elizabeth Lin
  • she/her
  • Section AA
  • elin6@uw
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 11:00am-1:00pm
  • Hi, I'm a senior studying CS and I am excited to meet everyone this quarter! Some of my hobbies are running, doing arts and crafts, and video editing :)

profile picture of Mitchell Massie
  • Mitchell Massie
  • he/him
  • Section AO
  • belief@uw
  • Support hours:
    • Fri 6:30-8:30pm
  • Long-term student, medium-term TA, short-term job-hunter and happiness chaser. Looking forward to an awesome Spring quarter with you all. Here to help you have an excellent 142 experience! Be happy, and be well :)

profile picture of Michelle Morris
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 2:00pm-4:00pm
  • I am currently a sophomore studying Computer Science at UW! I love watching tv shows, and my favorite has to be the Office! My favorite genre of music right now is R&B, and I usually spend my free time hanging out with my friends getting food!

profile picture of Kelvin Ng
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 11:30pm-1:30pm
  • Yo, I'm Kelvin! I'm from the Tampa Bay area (lesgo Bucs) and I'm studying CS. I like to play chess and ultimate frisbee, but I've also recently been rock climbing. Hope to have you in my section!

profile picture of Daniel (Danny) Saelid
  • Support hours:
    • Thurs 10:30am-12:30pm
  • Hi, I'm Danny! I'm starting my second year at UW, and autumn 2020 will be my first quarter as a 14X TA. I've worked as a tutor in math and German, and more recently, I developed software for the InfoSeeking lab. Outside of computer science, I enjoy running, learning about languages and literature, and cooking (mostly unsuccessfully).

profile picture of CC Sent
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 2:30-4:30pm
  • Hi I'm CC! I just graduated from UW with a major in Computer Science, but I love teaching so I'm teaching here one last quarter! Some other things I love are soccer, hiking, food, and cats :) Excited for a great quarter and to get to know you all more!

profile picture of Justin Shaw
  • Support hours:
    • Wed 12:30pm-2:30pm
  • Sup! My name is Justin and I am a second-year undergraduate at UW studying CS and Math. In my free time, I like to play soccer, drink coffee and code. Outside of school, I like to dabble in various projects (I'm a big dabbler). Recently, I designed and built a geodesic greenhouse in my backyard, wrote a debate app for iOS, and co-founded a fin-tech startup (blubbr.io) with some friends. I am always happy to connect with other UW students so feel free to drop me a line at brobeans@uw.edu and say hi. I don't bite, I promise.

profile picture of Jun Song
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 3:00pm-5:00pm
  • Hi everyone! My name is Jun, and I'm a third-year studying CS. I helped develop an app called KiwiLink, the UW study buddy finder. If y'all need study buddies in 142, feel free to use the app :)

profile picture of Nicolas Matthew Suhardi
  • Nicolas Matthew Suhardi
  • he/him
  • Section AB
  • nicmatt@uw
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 8:00pm-10:00pm
    • Fri 9:30pm-10:30pm
    • Sat 9:00pm-10:00pm
  • Hey y'all, you can call me Nicolas or Matthew! This is my third quarter as a Husky and I am so excited to be a TA for 142 this spring. I love playing Table Tennis (my favorite player is Jan-Ove Waldner) and Clash of Clans. I also started speed typing recently but I'm still bad at it hahaha. Need a food recommendation? Try Indomie! Hands down the best instant ramen in the world (no cap hahaha).

profile picture of Aidan Thaler
  • Support hours:
    • Tues 12:00pm-2:00pm
  • Hey waddup, I'm Aidan and this is my 8th quarter TAing for the intro CS courses. I've been pretty bored lately so I've mainly just been watching Jujutsu Kaisen and playing Stardew Valley for the past 2 months. Hmu if you have any anime recommendations.

profile picture of May Wang
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 9:30am-10:30am
    • Wed 9:30am-10:30am
  • Hi, I'm May! I'm from Alberta, Canada, and I'm currently studying computer science. Some of my interests include music, watching Netflix, and bubble tea (fun fact: I like to get no sugar and double pearls). I'm excited to be a 142 TA again this quarter!

profile picture of Evelyn Yang
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 2:30pm-4:30pm
  • Hi! I'm Evelyn and I'm a sophomore majoring in computer science. I'm a Myers-Briggs INFJ and an enneagram type 1. I grew up in the Seattle area, and some of my favorite things include cats, boba, and spending time with friends!

profile picture of Siming Yin
  • Support hours:
    • Mon 5:00pm-7:00pm
  • Hi, this is Siming! It's my seventh quarter in TAing CSE 142, and is also my third year in UW. I am studying math, which is really "FUN". I am also a big shopper, because when I feel very stressful, shopping is the best way to release the stress.

Support Hours

We'll be using Discord as our Support Hours queue platform this quarter. We aim for Discord to be an environment where you can comfortably collaborate with others, intuitively queue yourself for support hours questions, and build community with your peers. Please give us frequent feedback - we are still in the experimental phase of using online tools like Discord in this course. Remember that TAs do not monitor this Discord except during their assigned Support Hours times. For staff help outside of Support Hours times, please post on Ed.

Joining Discord

You can find the links to join our course Discord in the Resources tab on Ed. There are two ways to use Discord: by using a Discord account, or by joining anonymously (Separate links are provided for each option).

Thanks to the staff of CSE 373 from Summer 2020 for piloting these instructions.

Note that Discord is a 3rd party application. Course staff will never release your personal information on Discord without your permission. If you choose to create a Discord account, you have the option of putting in personal information such as your real name or email address, but doing so is NOT necessary to participate in support hours. TAs will generally help you via Zoom after getting to you on the queue, so it's possible to treat Discord as nothing more than an anonymous queueing system.

1. Choose the "Join Anonymously" Discord invite link. You will be asked to enter a username. Feel free to use whatever username you would like, as long as it's appropriate and doesn't reveal any of your personal information. Enter your name
  2. You will be asked to enter your email and password to claim your account. However, you are not required to do this and you can exit this popup box by clicking anywhere outside of it. Dismiss the login step
  3. You can now use Discord anonymously! There will be an orange bar on the top of your screen asking you to claim your account. You can ignore this.

Queueing for support hours

• Once in Discord either with an account or anonymously, go to the #hours-queue channel
  • Send a single message to enter yourself into the queue. In the message:
    • Start with @TA_on_Duty, which alerts all TAs currently running support hours
    • Include a brief description of your question(s) and/or issues you are running into
    • Mention which assessment, assignment, or problem you're asking about (if any)
  • Once it is your turn to receive help, we will send you a direct message with instructions to talk with a TA
  • While you're waiting, chat with other students in other channels to find people you can work with!
  • The #hours-queue channel is the support hours queue. When you enter the above message, you enter the queue. The TAs will typically help students in chronological order.

Support hours schedule