CSE 142, Autumn 2021: Course Staff

Instructor

profile picture of Brett Wortzman
  • Support hours:
  • Hi, I'm Brett! I grew up outside of Boston, MA and moved to Seattle after college. I earned my B.A. in Computer Science from Harvard University and my M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction from UW. This is my fifth year teaching in the Allen School. Before I came here, I developed curriculum and trained teachers for Microsoft's TEALS program, taught CS at Issaquah High School, and worked as a developer at Microsoft. Outside of teaching, I am a high school football official, a frequent volunteer at local FIRST Robotics events, and an avid board game and RPG player.

Teaching Assistants

profile picture of Ana Jojic
  • Hi there, I'm Ana! For starters, the puppy in the picture is not mine :( although I do have the best cat in the world. Her name is Cream, but we call her Metz, and a good chunk of my Snapchat memories is just Metz videos. Taylor Swift saved my 2020-2021 with folklore (AOTY!!!), evermore, Fearless (Taylor's Version) and most recently Wildest Dreams (Taylor's Version) and I am counting down the days until Red (Taylor's Version) is out (November 12th mark your calendars). To anticipate any "it sounds the same" comments, I will point you to this tweet: https://twitter.com/alexandergold/status/1439297889126080513?s=21

profile picture of Sumant Guha
  • Sumant Guha
  • he/him
  • Deputy Head TA
  • guhas2@uw
  • Hey I'm Sumant! Teaching has been one of my favorite parts of college so I'm very excited to share this experience with you all :)) I spent all of summer playing Valorant and getting bored of Netflix so hit me up with all the fun things you have been doing. Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

profile picture of Eyad Alsilimy
  • Wassup! My name is Eyad like you're adding e (ee-add). This is my 3rd quarter being a TA, but my first time TAing in person! Outside of being a TA, I'm a senior in Computer Engineering. I'm involved in choir, greek life, and I try to go to random club meetings that sound cool. I love music (went to rolling loud miami this year), sports, and being around people! Feel free to hit me up, see y'all around campus!

profile picture of Marcus Amalachandran
  • Hi, I'm Marcus! I'm from Bothell, WA and am a Senior studying Computer Engineering. This will be my 6th quarter TAing CSE 142 and I am excited to be working with you all! Outside of TAing you can find me baking, bouldering, or trying to solve some twisty puzzles.

profile picture of Poojitha Arangam
  • Hi, my name is Poojitha! I'm a sophomore studying Computer Science. I grew up in Mukilteo, WA, just outside of the Seattle area. In my free time, I love to play tennis, bake sweet treats, and go on hikes. I am very excited to be a TA for CSE 142 this autumn quarter, and I look forward to meeting all of you! Let's have a great time this quarter!

profile picture of Ido Avnon
  • Hi all! My name is Ido, and I use he/him pronouns! I grew up in Seattle and am currently a Sophomore hoping to study education and computer science! I am super passionate about exposing people to new ideas and things they have never heard of, which is why I am so excited to be TA'ing the intro series! My hobbies include birdwatching, making music with my friends, and cooking.

profile picture of Julia Ball
  • I'm a senior from Edmonds, Washington majoring in Computer Science and minoring in Education. I love animals, baking and video games, and in my free time I like to draw and play the violin. Super excited to meet everyone and get back to campus!

profile picture of Muskan Bawa
  • Hi everyone, my name is Muskan Bawa and I am a junior in the Computer Science major. I am from New Delhi, India. I worked as an Orientation Leader this summer, so I might know a few of you :) Outside work, I love travelling and exploring new things, especially the outdoors with my family and friends. I also love watching rom-com or thriller movies and sitcom tv series. I enjoy meeting new people and I am always here to help you all, so feel free to reach out to me :)

profile picture of Jacob Berg
  • Hello, I'm Jacob! I grew up in Seattle and am studying Computer Science with a particular interest in robotics. In my spare time I enjoy playing hockey, walking my dog, and playing board games with friends. Looking forward to meeting you all this quarter!

profile picture of Ton Bodin
  • Hi, My name is Ton! I am from Bellevue, Washington and this is my first quarter being a TA in any capacity. I am a computer science major going into my second year, and I'm also planning to minor in Mathematics. Outside of the classroom, I love travelling the world, listening to pop music, and watching/playing sports. I'm a Mariners megafan, and I can talk for days about baseball. I'm looking forward to meeting y'all and excited for a fun quarter!

profile picture of Jessica Burroughs
  • I'm a second-year CS student from a small-ish town called Yelm, which is down south of Seattle in Washington State. This is my first year as a TA, but I'm extremely excited to be TAing this course. In my free time, I enjoy taking photos of clouds, walking in nice parks, and reading psychology or historical fiction books.

profile picture of Jeremy Chen
  • Hi, I'm Jeremy! I'm from Sammamish, Washington finishing up my third year studying CS. I've had a great time TAing for this course and hope that you all enjoy it! Outside of TA/school work, I enjoy playing video games/badminton and watching anime :)

profile picture of Andrew Cheung
  • Friends! I'm Andrew, an upcoming fourth-year computer science student. This is my seventh quarter TAing for 142, and I'm super excited to meet you all! I love music, movies, and making cool stuff with code. My favorite musical artists are Kanye, Tyler, and Brockhampton. In my free time, I've been demolishing my closest friends and family in GamePigeon 8 Ball Pool. Hope to meet you soon!

profile picture of Kai Daniels
  • Hello, I'm Kai! I'm currently a Junior studying Computer Science (Data Science) and I grew up here in Washington just north of Seattle. My interest in CS is primarily through an ethics perspective, so if you ever wanna nerd out about the social implications of coding feel free to chat me up about it. Some of my hobbies outside of school include playing sports (such as League of Legends) and listening to K-pop. My favorite food is either Malatang or Hot Pot and I look forward to working with y'all during this course :)

profile picture of Thevina Dokka
  • Hi! My name is Thevina and I am a sophomore majoring in CS and Math. When I'm not coding, I love to sing and am part of the UW Chorale. I've also taken up baking goods over quarantine. Some of my other hobbies include playing the violin and rowing. CSE 142 was a great introduction to CS and I hope to make it a great one for you too. I am super excited for this quarter and look forward to getting to know everyone!

profile picture of Shananda Dokka
  • Shananda Dokka
  • she/her
  • Section AA
  • sdokka@uw
  • Hi there, I'm Shananda! I am a sophomore majoring in Computer Science. This is my third quarter as a CSE TA. I was born in Singapore and lived there for seven years. In Singapore and after moving to Seattle, I've grown up around birds, and right now I have the best parakeet in the world named Boboy. Some of my favorite pastimes are rowing, dance, and I'm not going to lie but I'm a movie fanatic! I can't wait to work with all of you this quarter!

profile picture of Paul Druta
  • Hello! My name is Paul and this is my fourth quarter TAing CSE 142. I am from Sammamish, Washington and I am a senior studying Computer Science. Outside of school, I enjoy going on hikes, reading, and playing basketball, tennis, soccer, and fantasy football.

profile picture of Noa Ferman
  • Noa Ferman
  • she/her
  • Section BN
  • noaf7@uw
  • Hi everyone, I'm super excited to be TAing CSE142 this quarter. I am currently majoring in computer science. Outside of school, I enjoy staying active, exploring Seattle, and gaming.

profile picture of Gaurav Gowda
  • I am currently a junior studying Computer Science from Federal Way, WA. In my free time, I enjoy working out and hanging out with friends. I also enjoy going to new restaurants and trying new food. Feel free to hit me up for any food recommendations!

profile picture of Kyler Gray
  • Hi everyone! I'm Kyler and I'm going into my second year at UW studying computer engineering. I am happy to talk about anything CSE-related in or outside of this course but I also love football (go packers), hiking, snowboarding, and am trying to become a better cook. Feel free to drop by my support hours or email me any time to chat!

profile picture of Ray He
  • Ray He
  • they/them
  • Section AL
  • hedr@uw
  • I'm a rising senior in my 12th quarter of TAing CSE142. I'm really excited to get back into in person teaching. Outside of my TAing duties, I like to bike, build computer servers, and teach math to K-12 students. Hope you're all as excited as I am for this quarter and I'll see you in lecture!

profile picture of Kelly Ho
  • Hi everyone! My name is Kelly, I'm a senior majoring in Informatics and Psychology. I do research in the Psychology and CSE department and like to look at data visualizations. Outside of class, I like to spend quality time with friends and watch some shows and movies. This will be my first-time TA-ing this quarter and can't wait to get to know you guys!

profile picture of Thai Hoang
  • Hi everyone, I'm Thai, a current senior in Computer Science! I'm specializing in Machine Learning, especially Natural Language Processing, but I'm also having quite experience in other fields such as Software Engineering, Backend/Frontend development, and software development,..., so please don't be hesitate to reach out to me as I'm more than willing to chat with you guys. This is my first quarter of TAing at UW, and I'm really excited to work with all of you! Let's make this quarter becomes great for all of us!

profile picture of Anson Huang
  • Hello! My name is Anson and I am a third-year studying Computer Science and Political Science. Outside of class, I was an ASUW Senator for 2 years and the chair of the Committee for Resolution Follow-Up in the latter year, and am currently serving as the Viz director for an RSO called the Polling and Open Data Initiative at the UW (PODUW). I enjoy working out, playing basketball, and watching anime in my free time. CSE 142 was the first time I ever dipped my toes into CS. I hope you will enjoy the class as much as I did!

profile picture of Hayoung Jung
  • Hi, my name is Hayoung! I am currently a third-year student studying computer science and political science. I was born in Seoul, South Korea, grew up in Vancouver (WA, not Canada), and moved to Seattle for college! I came to college unsure about whether I should study computer science. Thanks to this class, I realized my passion for the field. Since then, I've done research in misinformation at the iSchool (don't hesitate to hit me up if you are interested in research), co-founded a data science RSO (poddata.org), and planned social and career events for the UW Association for Computing Machinery (UW ACM). Outside of academics, I love to play Settlers of Catan, drink coffee, and work out at the gym. This is my first time TA-ing for CSE14X. I am excited to share my passion for computer science with y'all!

profile picture of Yafqa Khan
  • I'm a computer engineering student and I'm really interested in both hardware and software. I've TA'd in an engineering workshop called ENGR 197 where I helped students with math 126, and I found that I really liked teaching. I'm very excited to be TA'ing for 14x this quarter!

profile picture of Joo Kim
  • Hi, I'm Joo! I was born and raised in Korea until 2015. I am in my second year at UW, majoring in computer science. Though I'm studying computer science, I'm also interested in education and art. In my free time, I take a walk, listening to music. I am excited to get to know you all this quarter :D

profile picture of Lauren Kim
  • Hi everyone, I'm Lauren! I'm a third-year studying Computer Science and this is my fourth quarter as a TA for 142. In my free time, I love cooking, traveling, and reading (let me know if you have any good historical fiction recs). Excited to teach in person and meet you all this quarter!

profile picture of Melody Lam
  • Melody Lam
  • she/her
  • Section BQ
  • mlam3@uw
  • Hi everyone, my name is Melody and I'm a junior studying computer science! This past summer, I spent lots of time with my family and dog, tried lots of new recipes, watched the Bachelor and Love Island, and did a bit of traveling. CSE 142 was the first time I've ever programmed, so I completely understand what it's like to start from scratch - please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about anything!

profile picture of Eric Latham
  • Hey, I'm Eric! I'm from Tacoma, WA and this is my second year at UW. Outside of school, I'm interested in weightlifting, trying new foods, and gaming. I'm looking forward to TA'ing this quarter. Feel free to reach out with any questions!

profile picture of David Lee
  • Hi, I'm David, and I'm a senior in CS. I was born in Korea and moved to the states at 8 years old (proud to say I'm still fluent in Korean – thanks mom). I recently completed a SWE internship at Nordstrom, during which I was able to enjoy some very nice employee discounts on some very nice items. Oh and I did coding and stuff too. Aside from CS, I asked my friends how I should describe myself and they all said something like "I love health, singing, and Jesus." and I think that's pretty accurate.

profile picture of Leon Li
  • Hey everyone! My name is Leon and I am currently a third year computer science student. Outside of school, I enjoy watching football/basketball and am also obsessed with The Mandalorian series! I loved the 14x series and am excited to meet all of you :)

profile picture of Allison Li
  • Allison Li
  • she/her
  • Section BI
  • allli@uw
  • Hello! My name is Allison and I'm a rising junior majoring in CS and Biochemistry. In my free time, I love to do art - mainly watercolor, acrylic, and digital animations. I also love to explore new boba shops and cook with my friends. Nice to meet y'alls

profile picture of Aerin Malana
  • Hi y'all <3 I'm a senior from Kent, WA studying CS, Diversity, and Labor Studies. I'm so excited to TA CSE 142 for the 4th time :D Outside of classes, I'm involved with DubHacks, GEN1, and FASA's Political Committee. CSE 142 is such a fun and exciting class packed with so much interesting material, so if there's anything that I can do to make your CSE 142 experience better, or if you just want to chat, I'd love to talk to you!

profile picture of Kelvin Ng
  • Yo, I'm Kelvin! I'm from the Tampa Bay area (lesgo Bucs) and I'm studying CS. I like to play chess and ultimate frisbee, but I've also recently been rock climbing. This quarter, I'm a support TA so I'll more or less be behind the scene!

profile picture of Drew Nguyen
  • Hi everyone, I'm Drew! I'm a senior in CS and neuroscience, and this is my fifth quarter TAing for 142. Outside of classes and work, I like to draw, read sci-fi, and cook. I'm also into Dungeons and Dragons, Magic the Gathering, and Apex Legends. Looking forward to a great in-person quarter with you all!

profile picture of Thien-An Nguyen
  • Hey, I'm Thien-An! I grew up in Burien, Washington and am currently a sophomore at UW. Outside of school, I like to play basketball, watch sports and anime, go to the gym, and play the piano. I hope this will be a enjoyable quarter for you all!

profile picture of Shreyash Nigam
  • Hello! I am Shreyash. I am a senior studying Computer Science. I was born in India and moved to Seattle for college. In my free time, I love playing soccer and hiking. I’m super excited for this in-person quarter and cannot wait to meet you all!

profile picture of Ramya Prabakar
  • Hi everyone! I'm Ramya, and I am in my second year of college at UW studying computer science. I love singing, baking, and watching shows in my free time. I also really enjoy mathematics and coding. I am super excited to be TAing this quarter and am looking forward to meeting you all!

profile picture of Adithi Raghavan
  • Hi everyone, my name is Adithi! I'm from Western Washington, and I am a second year studying CS. In my free time, I enjoy playing intramural sports, watching sports, and baking! This is my first quarter TA'ing, and I am excited to meet everyone in person this year!

profile picture of Jun Song
  • Hi, I'm Jun! I am a senior at UW studying CS. My friends and I developed an app called KiwiLink that matches UW students with similar interests, including finding study buddies! If you guys want to find study buddies for CSE 142, feel free to use the app!

profile picture of Nicolas Matthew Suhardi
  • Nicolas Matthew Suhardi
  • he/him
  • Section AB
  • nicmatt@uw
  • Hey y'all, my name is Nicolas and I'm a sophomore from Indonesia. I am studying chemistry, but I have a big interest in web dev, CS pedagogy and other CS related stuff. I'm also curious about a lot of stuff, so HMU if you want to talk about anything! I have an unspoken bond with Indomie (best instant ramen in the world, don't @me hahaha), gigantic monitors, and RGB things. Let's enjoy CSE 142 together and cheers to being back in person again!

profile picture of Thien Tran
  • Hey, I'm Thien! I grew up in the PNW, so I really enjoy hiking, skiing, and chasing sunsets. In my spare time, I make Spotify playlists, bake bread, and look at pictures of dogs. I look forward to meeting and working with you all :)

profile picture of Justin Ung
  • Hello everyone, my name is Justin and I am a junior studying Informatics. This is my first quarter TAing CSE 142 so I'm am so excited to meet you all. In my free time, I enjoy lap swimming, playing TFT, and reading manga and manhwa. Let me know if you want to lap swim together or want some reading recommendations.

profile picture of Claris Winston
  • Hi! I'm Claris, and I'm a sophomore majoring in computer science. Outside of school, I enjoy gymnastics, drawing, baking, and composing music. Looking forward to a great quarter with you all!

profile picture of Elizabeth Xiong
  • Elizabeth Xiong
  • she/her
  • Section A2
  • xionge@uw
  • Hi, I'm Elizabeth! I'm a second year majoring in computer science and art history. I'm from Vancouver WA (not BC!), and this is my first quarter TA-ing CSE 142! Some of my favorite things are oil painting, hiking, cats, jasmine green tea, and quality time with friends. I'm really excited for this quarter, and looking forward to working with you all!

profile picture of Evelyn Yang
  • Hi! I'm Evelyn and I'm a third year majoring in computer science. I'm a Myers-Briggs INFJ and an enneagram type 1. I grew up in the Seattle area, and some of my favorite things include cats, boba, and spending time with friends!

profile picture of Siming Yin
  • Hi, this is Siming! It's my nineth quarter in TAing CSE 142, and is also my last quarter in UW. I am studying math, which is really "FUN".

Support Hours

Support hours will be hosted by TAs in the Introductory Programming Lab (IPL) in Mary Gates Hall 334. The IPL is open:

• 12:30pm to 9:30pm Monday through Thursday
  • 12:30pm through 7:30pm Friday
  • 1:30pm through 3:30pm Saturday and Sunday

See the full schedule and more details here.