CSE 142, Autumn 2020: Course Staff

Course staff

This page shows all of the course staff, their contact information, and their office hours. All office hours will be held online.

All times are in PDT (local time in Seattle). You can use this page or Google to convert times to your local time zone.

Instructor

profile picture of Brett Wortzman
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 4:00-5:00pm
    • Thu 5:00-6:00pm
  • Hi, I'm Brett! I grew up outside of Boston, MA and moved to Seattle after college. I earned my B.A. in Computer Science from Harvard University and my M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction from UW. This is my fourth year teaching in the Allen School. Before I came here, I developed curriculum and trained teachers for Microsoft's TEALS program, taught CS at Issaquah High School, and worked as a developer at Microsoft. Outside of teaching, I am a high school football official, a frequent volunteer at local FIRST Robotics events, and an avid board game and RPG player.

Teaching Assistants

profile picture of Omar Ibrahim
  • Omar Ibrahim
  • he/him
  • Head TA; Section AQ
  • oibra@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 1:30-2:30pm
    • Wed 5:30-6:30pm
  • Hey y'all, I'm Omar. I'm a senior studying Computer Science here at UW and minoring in Informatics and Music. I'm Egyptian American, from Eastern Washington. This is my 3rd year as a TA in the Allen School, and I'm really excited to do more work on CS education this year and after I graduate! Outside of school, I love playing and writing music, playing video games, and cooking.

profile picture of Ana Jojic
  • Ana Jojic
  • she/her
  • Deputy Head TA; Section BN
  • jojica@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Fri 2:30-4:30pm
  • Hi there, I'm Ana! For starters, the puppy in the picture is not mine :( although I do have the best cat in the world. Her name is Cream, but we call her Metz, and a good chunk of my Snapchat memories is just Metz videos. The best month so far of my 2020 has been July because 2 things happened in July that changed my life. First, I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender for the first time (don't judge me, I wasn't watching Nickelodeon when it came out). Second, Taylor Swift dropped my favorite album of all time, folklore, in a surprise release I didn't even know I needed. Since then, most of what I (re)watch and listen to has been Avatar and folklore, so if you happen to want to talk about either one of those topics, I would be more than happy to do so!

profile picture of Anjali Agarwal
  • Office hours:
    • Thu 1:00-3:00pm
  • Hi, I'm Anjali! I'm a Junior studying CS and Math, and this is my 5th quarter TA-ing CSE 142. I've spent my quarantine board gaming (Set, Ticket to Ride, and Monopoly Empire are current favorites), learning to cook, and taking nearly daily naps :). Very excited about this quarter, and looking forward to working with you!

profile picture of Marcus Amalachandran
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 6:00-8:00pm
  • Hi, I'm Marcus! I'm from Bothell, WA and am a Junior studying Computer Engineering. This will be my 5th quarter TAing CSE 142 and while we won't be able to see each other, I am still looking forward to working with you all! Outside of TAing you can find me baking, bouldering, or trying to solve some twisty puzzles.

profile picture of John Bato-Borja
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 2:00-4:00pm
  • Hi guys, I'm John! I'm from Kent, WA and am a senior in the Allen School this quarter. This'll be my first quarter as a TA for the intro series and I'm excited to meet and work with you all! Outside of classes I enjoy road trips, watching anime, and exploring new music. Very self-conscious about my typing speed because of my friends :/

profile picture of Emilia Borisova
  • Emilia Borisova
  • she/her
  • Section AH
  • eboris@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Fri 11:30am-1:30pm
  • Hi I'm Emilia! I spent my early childhood years in Ukraine, which is where I learned Russian and Ukrainian but grew up in the United States for the most part. My favorite pastimes include watching cat videos and binging "mind-bending" shows on Netflix. I am really excited to be a part of your CSE 142 experience and hope you all have fun learning how to code this quarter! :)

profile picture of Benjamin (Ben) Brusniak
  • Benjamin (Ben) Brusniak
  • he/him
  • Section AB
  • brusniak@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 9:00-11:00am
  • Hi, I'm Ben! I grew up in Lynnwood, Washington, and I am currently a Junior studying Computer Science. Some of my favorite hobbies are powerlifting, chess, and playing the trumpet.

profile picture of Jeremy Chen
  • Office hours:
    • Thu 10:00am-12:00pm
  • Hi, I'm Jeremy! I'm from Sammamish, Washington going into my third year studying CS. I've had a great time TAing for this course and hope that you all enjoy it! Outside of TAing/schoolwork, I enjoy playing video games/badminton and watching anime :)

profile picture of Sandy Cheng
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 11:00am-12:00pm
    • Tue 6:30-7:30pm
  • I'm Sandy! I'm a sophomore majoring in computer science. I'm also passionate about biology and sustainability, and grew up in sunny Florida before moving to the beautiful PNW. Outside of school, you can usually find me sight-reading piano pieces (to the dismay of my roommates), hiking in the rain, or *attempting* to bake layer cakes.

profile picture of Andrew Cheung
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 2:30-4:30pm
  • Hey everyone! I'm Andrew. I'm from Portland, Oregon and this is my fourth quarter TAing for 142. I'm super excited to meet all of you! My interests outside of CS include food, fitness, and video games, and I'm always down to have a discussion about hip-hop music.

profile picture of Esther Chien
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 2:30-3:00pm
    • Wed 2:30-3:00pm
    • Fri 2:30-3:30pm
  • Hi everyone, I'm Esther! I actually have the best cat in the world. She's a grey tabby named Soufflé (it was either Soufflé or Mercutio due to her mercurial nature), which accurately captures my fondness for baking, one of my favorite pastimes during quarantine. Something I can't stop baking is crème brûlée. When I'm not baking, I'm probably biking on the Burke-Gilman to picnic at Gasworks with some sushi or doing New Yorker crosswords with friends. I've also rewatched Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch version) and House of Cards multiple times and am addicted to Spotify. If any of those pique your interest, feel free to stop by my office hours and we can chat while we debug! (Also, I heard that exploration sessions are pretty cool...)

profile picture of Trinity Heejin Cho
  • Trinity Heejin Cho
  • she/her
  • Section AA
  • thcho@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 11:30am-12:30pm
    • Fri 11:30am-12:30pm
  • My name is Trinity and I'm a junior studying Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE). CSE 142 was extremely daunting for me because I had never coded, but I ended up loving the class and I'm looking forward to supporting beginner coders now as a TA. I'm an aspiring UX Designer, and I feel very passionate about advocating for diversity and equity in tech. Outside of school & quarantine, you can find me taking photos, playing basketball or flag football, and hanging out with family & friends.

profile picture of Kai Daniels
  • Kai Daniels
  • he/him or they/them
  • Section AL
  • dokikai@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 12:00-2:00pm
  • Hello, I'm Kai. I'm currently a Sophomore studying Informatics and I grew up here in Washington just north of Seattle. For me, I got into Computer Science through my interest in data ethics and algorithmic racial biases so if you wanna nerd out about that stuff (or any social aspects of computer science in general) feel free to bring it up during my office hours! I'm also currently coaching high school debate for Bellevue School District at Newport High School. Some of my hobbies outside of school include badminton, cooking, and inting mid on League of Legends. My favorite movie is Mulan and my favorite food is probably Hot Pot (even during summertime). I am excited to work with y'all during this course!

profile picture of Riya Dheer
  • Office hours:
    • Sat 9:00-11:00am
  • Hey, my name is Riya! I use she/her pronouns. I am currently in New Delhi, India, my hometown. It's a 12 and a half hours time difference, haha! I love driving and travelling to new places! I love pad thai noodles from 'Noodle Nation' on the Ave. It's highly recommended to try it. I am a sophomore and just got into my major, this summer- Computer Engineering. I am really excited to TA this quarter and introduce my peers to the world of programming. I, myself love to explore coding concepts. Currently, I am learning about how to use Graphical User Interface in Python.

profile picture of Paul Druta
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 6:00-8:00pm
  • Hello! My name is Paul and this is my first quarter TAing CSE 142. I am from Sammamish, Washington and I am a junior studying Computer Science (Data Science option) and I am also in the Interdisciplinary Honors Program. Outside of school, I enjoy going on hikes, reading, and playing basketball, tennis, soccer, and fantasy football.

profile picture of Isabella (Bella) Eriksen
  • Isabella (Bella) Eriksen
  • she/her
  • Section BF
  • beriksen@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Thu 11:30am-1:30pm
  • Hi I'm Bella! I'm from Redmond, Washington and a senior here at UW. This is my sixth quarter being a TA for cse 142 and I can't wait to meet and work with all of you! I enjoy running, hiking, reading, and watching Criminal Minds on Netflix! A fun fact about me is that I was born in Denmark!

profile picture of Dylan Geva
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 2:30-4:30pm
  • I am a sophomore at UW majoring in Computer Science by way of the College of Engineering. I love Singaporean food and I'm currently obsessed with RuPaul's Drag Race. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the class or the school in general, and I'm excited to work with you this quarter!

profile picture of Elijah Greisz
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 2:00-3:00pm
    • Fri 1:00-2:00pm
  • Hello, I'm Elijah! I grew up just north of Seattle in Everett, but I moved here to attend UW to study computer science. Now in my second year, I am excited for my first quarter of being a TA to help teach all of you. When I'm not studying and figuring out my own college experience, I am a movie aficionado (I've seen over 500!), enjoy all sorts of tabletop games, and closely follow politics. I am looking forward to our quarter together!

profile picture of Sumant Guha
  • Office hours:
    • Fri 1:00-3:00pm
  • Hi Y'all! My name is Sumant and I'm super excited to TA 142 this quarter! I'm grew up in India but I've lived in Singapore for a large part of my life. Teaching has been one of my favorite parts of college and I'm looking forward to share this experience with you all :) I also love playing the piano, and I'm very colorblind!

profile picture of Daniel He
  • Daniel He
  • he/him
  • Section BG
  • hedr@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 3:30-4:30pm
    • Thu 12:30-2:30pm
  • I'm a junior from Bellevue, WA studying Computer Science with the intent to pursue a career in grade school and high school education. This is my 8th quarter TAing the awesome course that is CSE142. I'm really excited about all the new content that we've prepared for yall. We're going to have a great time together! Outside of my teaching duties I split a lot of time between running a minecraft server and developing niche tech solutions to problems that my friends don't necessarily have.

profile picture of Kristen Hewson
  • Kristen Hewson
  • she/her
  • Section BQ
  • hewsok@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 10:30am-12:30pm
  • Greetings! My name is Kristen and I am going into my forth year studying Business: Information Systems. I'm half (?) Canadian, love musical theater, have changed my intended major several times (Drama > Applied Math > Communications > International Studies > Computer Science > Business), and enjoy laughing with friends and family! I recently accepted a job offer to work for a tech consulting company based in France (Capgemini), and will be moving to Nashville post grad **AHHHH**. No dumb questions, let's do this thing!!

profile picture of Maggie Jiang
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 1:00-2:00pm
    • Wed 1:00-2:00pm
  • Hello world (pun intended)! I am a sophomore in computer science, and I'm from Kirkland, WA. I love sunsets, EDM, tennis, kayaking, and suffering heart attacks watching the Seahawks. I spent my summer nocturnal, in bed, and on Netflix, and I miss eating in restaurants. Teaching has been one of the best experiences in college for me, so I'm super excited to TA 142 this quarter!

profile picture of Rinav Kasthuri
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 2:30-3:30pm
    • Tue 11:30am-12:30pm
  • I'm a sophomore who currently enjoys gaming, pixel art, machine learning, and philosophy. This is my first time TAing and I'm really excited to learn to embrace the online world from the "other" side! Let's work together to have a super fun quarter :)

profile picture of Millen Katyal
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 12:00-1:00pm
    • Thu 1:30-2:30pm
  • Hi, my name is Millen! I'm a CS major starting my junior year here at UW. I grew up in Redmond, WA just outside of the Seattle area. In my free time, I enjoy playing guitar, cooking, playing video games, and tinkering with small Arduino/Raspberry Pi projects. I'm really excited to be working as an intro TA this year, and I look forward to meeting all of you!

profile picture of Lauren Kim
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 3:30pm-5:30pm
  • Hi, my name is Lauren! I grew up in Sammamish, WA. I took my first Computer Science class in high school and loved it, and I've been programming ever since. I'm majoring in CS, and since coming to UW, I've been involved in NLP and accessibility research. In my free time, I love reading and staying active!

profile picture of Melody Lam
  • Melody Lam
  • she/her
  • Section AZ/BV
  • mlam3@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 12:00-1:00pm
    • Tue 10:00-11:00am
  • Hi everyone, I'm Melody, and I'm a sophomore studying computer science! During quarantine, I've enjoyed reading, cooking, gardening, and consistently losing Scrabble games against my mom. I also have a dog who loves to eat zucchini! Can't wait to meet you all virtually this quarter :)

profile picture of Joe Lang
  • Office hours:
    • Fri 2:30-4:30pm
  • I'm not teaching this quarter but I'm looking forward to meeting you all in lecture and office hours. Feel free to drop in for help or just for a chat! Also some fun facts about me, I was born in Korea and I speak Chinese!

profile picture of Jeremy Lipschutz
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 2:30-4:30pm
  • Hi everyone! My name is Jeremy Lipschutz and I am a senior studying Computer Science at UW. This is my sixth quarter TAing the 14X series. I'm from the beautiful Bainbridge Island across the Puget Sound and in my free time I love to play tennis! Looking forward to meeting all of you this quarter!

profile picture of Kimi Locke
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 3:00-5:00pm
  • Hi, I'm Kimi! I'm a second year in the College of Engineering, and this is my first quarter TA-ing CSE 142. Outside of academics, I enjoy singing, leading a small group for AAIV, and playing board/card games.

profile picture of Aerin Malana
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 3:30-4:30pm
    • Tue 11:30am-12:30pm
  • Hi all, I'm Aerin! I'm a junior majoring in CS and minoring in Diversity Studies, focusing on centering equity and justice in tech. I'm from Kent, WA and this is my third quarter TAing CSE 142. In my free time I love to nap, rewatch my favorite shows (Game of Thrones, Parks and Rec, ATLA, Breaking Bad), and make Pinterest boards. I also really love corgis, so if you have one... you're always more than welcome to stop by my office hours to say hi :D

profile picture of Mitchell Massie
  • Mitchell Massie
  • he/him
  • Section AP
  • belief@uw
  • Office hours:
    • Thu 2:30-3:30pm
    • Thu 4:30-5:30pm
  • Lifelong PNW brat, taking my sweet time finishing studies of Finance and Computer Science. This makes 5 quarters as a 14x TA, and I'm hyped for another round of remote learning with you all! Don't be a stranger this quarter, we're here to help :)

profile picture of Logan Milandin
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 12:30-1:30pm
    • Thu 12:30-1:30pm
  • Hey, I'm Logan. I was born and raised in Bothell (30 minutes north of Seattle), and I'm a second-year student at UW studying Computer Science and minoring in Physics. I used to run track, but now I like to stay in shape via a combination of running, biking, swimming, and rock climbing. My less active hobbies include programming and reading, and I'm also an active member of Theta Xi fraternity.

profile picture of Michelle Morris
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 4:30-6:30pm
  • I'm a sophomore majoring in computer science.

profile picture of Drew Nguyen
  • Office hours:
    • Fri 4:00-6:00pm
  • Hi, I'm Drew! I'm a junior dual majoring in computer science and neuroscience. Outside of academics, I draw, read, and play tabletop rpgs. Looking forward to working with you all!

profile picture of Shreyash Nigam
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 6:30-7:30pm
    • Fri 3:00-4:00pm
  • Hello! I am Shreyash. I grew up in Noida, India and moved to Seattle for college. I am currently in my junior year majoring in Computer Science and minoring in Mathematics. In my free time, I love playing soccer and hiking

profile picture of Oscar Perez
  • Office hours:
    • Thu 3:30-5:30pm
  • Hello! My name is Oscar and I am a third-year studying computer science. This is my fourth quarter as a TA for the intro series! I was actually born in Seattle but grew up in Bremerton, Washington, which is just a ferry ride away from Seattle. I enjoy gaming, lifting, playing the bass, and eating good. I'm looking forward to working with you all!

profile picture of Daniel (Danny) Saelid
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 1:30-3:30pm
  • Hi, I'm Danny! I'm starting my second year at UW, and autumn 2020 will be my first quarter as a 14X TA. I've worked as a tutor in math and German, and more recently, I developed software for the InfoSeeking lab. Outside of computer science, I enjoy running, learning about languages and literature, and cooking (mostly unsuccessfully).

profile picture of CC Sent
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 1:30-2:30pm
    • Tue 6:30-7:30pm
  • I'm a senior studying Computer Science! Some of my favorite things are soccer (I'm captain of the UW Women's Club Soccer team), hiking, cats, and food! Super excited for this quarter and getting to know you all :)

profile picture of Jun Song
  • Office hours:
    • Sat 2:00-3:00pm
    • Sun 2:00-3:00pm
  • Hi everyone! My name is Jun, and I'm a third-year studying CS. This summer, I helped develop an app called KiwiLink, a UW study buddy finder. If y'all need study buddies in 142, feel free to use the app :).

profile picture of Aidan Thaler
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 5:00-6:00pm
    • Thu 3:30-4:30pm
  • Hey waddup, I'm Aidan and this is my 6th quarter TAing intro. I'm not really doing much right now so I've mostly just been binge watching anime and sleeping for the last 4 months. Recent favorites of mine include Haikyuu and Given - definitely recommend checking them out. See you in section!

profile picture of Thalia Tsai
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 2:30-3:30pm
    • Wed 2:30-3:30pm
  • Hi everyone, I'm Thalia! I'm a sophomore at UW and this'll be my first quarter TA-ing. In my free time, I love to play tennis and watch it too! Aside from tennis I enjoy reading and watching Parks and Rec. Excited to meet you all this quarter!

profile picture of May Wang
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 9:30-10:30am
    • Wed 9:30-10:30am
  • Hi, I'm May! I'm from Alberta, Canada, and I'm currently studying computer science. Some of my interests include music, watching Netflix, and spending time with animals. I'm excited to be a 142 TA this year!

profile picture of Emily Whelan
  • Office hours:
    • Wed 11:30am-12:30pm
    • Sat 10:30-11:30am
  • Hi, I'm Emily! I'm from Redmond, Washington and am a junior studying Industrial & Systems Engineering. I am passionate about operations research and currently getting into actuarial science! In my spare time you can find me hiking, skiing, or exploring different coffee shops around Seattle. Can't wait to meet you all!

profile picture of Evelyn Yang
  • Office hours:
    • Tue 9:00-11:00am
  • My name is Evelyn and I am a sophomore majoring in computer science and minoring in Education, Learning, and Society. Careerwise, I am interested in topics related to equity and accessibility, and I hope to learn how to use technology to address those issues. I grew up in the Seattle area and I love cats, boba, and spending time with friends!

profile picture of Siming Yin
  • Office hours:
    • Mon 2:30-3:30pm
    • Tue 2:30-3:30pm
  • Hi, this is Siming! It's my fifth quarter in TAing CSE 142, and is also my third year in UW. I am studying math, which is really "FUN". I am also a big shopper, because when I feel very stressful, I would to release my stress through shopping.

Office hours

We'll be using Discord as our Office Hours queue platform this quarter. We aim for Discord to be an environment where you can comfortably collaborate with others, intuitively queue yourself for office hours questions, and build community with your peers. Please give us frequent feedback – we are still in the experimental phase of using online tools like Discord in this course. Remember that TAs do not monitor this Discord except during their assigned Office Hours times. For staff help outside of Office Hours times, please post on Ed.

Joining Discord

You can find the links to join our course Discord in the Resources tab on Ed. There are two ways to use Discord: by using a Discord account, or by joining anonymously (Separate links are provided for each option).

Thanks to the staff of CSE 373 from Summer 2020 for piloting these instructions.

Note that Discord is a 3rd party application. Course staff will never release your personal information on Discord without your permission. If you choose to create a Discord account, you have the option of putting in personal information such as your real name or email address, but doing so is NOT necessary to participate in office hours. TAs will generally help you via Zoom after getting to you on the queue, so it's possible to treat Discord as nothing more than an anonymous queueing system.

1. Choose the “Join Anonymously” Discord invite link. You will be asked to enter a username. Feel free to use whatever username you would like, as long as it’s appropriate and doesn’t reveal any of your personal information. Enter your name
  2. You will be asked to enter your email and password to claim your account. However, you are not required to do this and you can exit this popup box by clicking anywhere outside of it. Dismiss the login step
  3. You can now use Discord anonymously! There will be an orange bar on the top of your screen asking you to claim your account. You can ignore this.

Queueing for office hours

• Once in Discord either with an account or anonymously, go to the #oh-queue channel
  • Send a single message to enter yourself into the queue. In the message:
    • Start with @TA_on_Duty, which alerts all TAs currently running OH
    • Include a brief description of your question(s) and/or issues you are running into
    • Mention which assessment, assignment, or problem you're asking about (if any)
  • Once it is your turn to receive help, we will send you a direct message with instructions to talk with a TA
  • While you're waiting, chat with other students in other channels to find people you can work with!
  • The #oh-queue channel is the office hours queue. When you enter the above message, you enter the queue. The TAs will typically help students in chronological order.

Office hours schedule