A Reliable Multicast Framework for Light-weight Sessions and Application Level Framing Floyd, et al. This paper presents a multicast analogue of TCP which relaxes some of the constraints of previous proposals. The authors of this paper suggest that the existing generic reliable multicast protocols are insufficient flexible for general use by applications. While TCP works well for unicast communication, it doesn't extend well to multicast, primarily due to scalability issues. To address this, the authors propose Scalable Reliable Multicast (SRM). The SRM framework assumes IP multicast, unique persistent names for data, and the ability to separate the application's name space into 'pages'. In SRM, members periodically multicast session messages to maintain state. For reliable delivery, SRM has a loss recovery algorithm in which members that have missed a packet multicast a repair request and members which have received the packet multicast a repair response. In the loss recover scheme, many requests and responses may turn out to be unnecessary, so it works best when the request and response timer parameters are tuned to avoid those unnecessary packets. This path latencies for a given network topology may be uniform or quite varied. Since the tuning can have a significant effect on the recover time, the authors outline an adaptive algorithm which attempts to self-tune the mechanism. Another optimization explored by the authors is limiting the recovery communication to some subset of the group so that traffic to the entire group can be avoided. SRM makes many assumptions about the application. Two assumptions which stand out are the naming scheme for the data and that the data represent idempotent operations. I question how many WAN-level distributed systems obey these assumptions. The demonstrated application, wb (for White Board), seems like a relatively limited case, and the authors don't investigate what existing applications could use it. I see the benefit of SRM over n^2 TCP connections in terms of network overhead, though I wonder how many WAN-level applications have IP multicast available and need this protocol. Outside of the SRM framework itself, I thought the data on loss recovery was interesting, and I would expect some of the principles to apply well to other distributed communication protocols.