The Process Group Approach to Reliable Distributed Computing Birman What I like best about ISIS system described in this paper is that it is an attempt to build a system to allow not-so-experts to build at least some kinds of distributed systems without needing the skills to analyze the full complexity of the system. Perhaps the effort is futile, but this is the sort of area where I tend to feel its worth exploring even likely futile directions, because the value of a simple interface is often great enough to outweigh the problems behind it. The great thing about virtual synchrony is that it can be described by derivation from close synchrony, which itself is a reasonable model to understand above the basic "can't assume anything" distributed system model. In a preview of my complaints about the other paper, I would point out that not understanding application semantics is not always a bad thing. Lots of really useful bits of infrastructure are widely used primarily because they don't try to understand what the application is doing, and instead just try to provide a well-described hammer of a service that programmers so that programmers will be able to see how their problems can be viewed as nails. My canonical example of this has long been the combination of Unix sockets and TCP: simple interface, probably does at least twice what most applications want, and therefore at a substantial cost in performance, but it makes writing applications easier because it is easy to describe what it does and the interface is simple and doesn't tend to spread throughout your code. In the end, this paper leaves me with the feeling that ISIS/process groups are best suited as a way to build a simple locally replicated system. They claim, and I believe, that wide-area latency is too large to allow a system without better understanding of application-level semantics. I seems to me, though, that if this is really all that this sort of system does well, it likely could be better specialized, or at least better described in that context. I had difficulty, from the description in this paper, really understanding what I could do with the system. Finally, a pure rant: Correct me if I'm wrong, but were they totally on drugs when describing figure 4? They keep talking about all the cases where message reordering happens, and I understand that such reorderings are possible, but the figure shows everything happening hunky-dory. I wonder if some editor decided the supplied picture was ugly with all those crossing lines and "fixed" it.