CSE 594: Database Management Systems , Summer 1998
Instructor: Scott L. Vandenberg
Office: 217 Sieg Hall
Office Phone: (206)616-3423
Office Hours: Wed 4-6, 9:20-whenever you run out of questions; and by
Meeting: Wednesday, 6:30-9:20pm, EE1, room 045
(1) Database Management Systems
by Raghu Ramakrishnan, McGraw-Hill, 1998
(2) Object Databases: An ODMG Approach
by Richard Cooper, International Thomson Computer Press, 1997
Welcome to the CSE 594 Home Page.
Please keep in mind that this document is not static, and that new
information will be added frequently (particularly to the Announcements
section). You are expected to check this page often for announcements and
No prior database experience is required for this course.
- Classroom: The room in which the class meets is correctly listed
above; it recently changed.
- Final Exam: Friday August 21, 6:30PM - 8:30PM, room EE1 045 (our
- A Microsoft Word version of the syllabus
- For some of the course work, it will be very useful for you to have access
to X Windows. Good emulation packages are available.
- For those of you unfamiliar with UNIX (the operating system on orcas,
which you'll be using for the implementation project and other things),
I've provided a brief help sheet, as well as one
for Emacs, one of the
available editors (use any editor you like, of course).
- DINNER: Wednesday June 22, 5-6:30, Sieg Hall 422. Meet Dreama, the new
PMP coordinator, and talk to your wonderful classmates in a more relaxed
setting with free food. Bring only an appetite.