REMINDER: Theory seminar at 11am today

From: Venkatesan Guruswami (venkat@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 08:41:35 PST

Special Theory Seminar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TIME: Thursday, Mar 18, 11-11:50 am

PLACE: CSE 403

SPEAKER: Piotr Indyk, MIT

TITLE: Algorithms for Dynamic Geometric Problems over Data Streams

ABSTRACT:

The vast majority of known data structures use space at least linear
in the number of objects stored. Are there any interesting problems
that can be solved in sub-linear space? In this talk we present
several new results of this type, in the context of
geometric/spatial data. Our data structures support insertions and
deletions of points, as well as (approximate) queries about
geometric properties of the data, such as the value of the minimum
cost tree connecting the points, the minimum weight matching of the
points, and various clustering problems.