Special Theory seminar this Thursday, Mar 18.

From: Venkatesan Guruswami (venkat@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 12:00:58 PST

    Special CSE Theory Seminar

    TIME: Thursday, Mar 18, 11-11:50 am

    PLACE: CSE 403

    SPEAKER: Piotr Indyk, MIT

    TITLE: Algorithms for Dynamic Geometric Problems over Data Streams

    ABSTRACT:

    The vast majority of known data structures use space at least linear
    in the number of objects stored. Are there any interesting problems
    that can be solved in sub-linear space? In this talk we present
    several new results of this type, in the context of
    geometric/spatial data. Our data structures support insertions and
    deletions of points, as well as (approximate) queries about
    geometric properties of the data, such as the value of the minimum
    cost tree connecting the points, the minimum weight matching of the
    points, and various clustering problems.