5/10/2004 - The Sharp Form of the Strong Szego Theorem; Barry Simon, California Institute of Technology

From: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\) (a-kellim@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 14:30:59 PST

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: Barry Simon

    AFFILIATION: California Institute of Technology

    TITLE: The Sharp Form of the Strong Szego Theorem

    WHEN: Mon 5/10/2004

    WHERE: 113/1021 Research Lecture Room, Microsoft Research

    TIME: 3:30PM-5:00PM

    HOST: Jennifer Chayes

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

    This talk will discuss a proof of the Strong Szego theorem on the second
    term in the asymptotics of Toeplitz determinants. After a brief
    discussion of the history, I'll discuss the elementary argument that
    reduces the sharp (optimal) result to the case of analytic symbols.
    I'll then present a new proof of the theorem in the analytic case. I'll
    present the necessary background from the theory of orthogonal
    polynomials on the unit circle along the way.

    BIO:

    Barry Simon is the IBM Professor of Mathematics and Theoretical Physics
    at Caltech. Prior to joining the faculty of Caltech in 1981, he was on
    the faculty at Princeton for 12 years and he also got his PhD there
    under Arthur Wightman. He has worked on a variety of areas in
    mathematical physics and functional analysis including problems in
    Quantum Field Theory, Statistical Mechanics and Schrodinger Operators.
    Much of his recent work is on spectral theory and on inverse problems.