TODAY: 2/26/2004 PCP Testers: Towards a combinatorial proof of the PCP Theorem; Irit Dinur - University of California, Berkeley

From: Rosa Teorell (rosat@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 07:24:44 PST

  • Next message: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\): "3/11/2004 - Brownian loop-soup, SLE and conformal field theory II; Wendelin Werner, University of Paris-Sud in Orsay"

    Please note abstract has been updated.

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: Irit Dinur

    AFFILIATION: University of California, Berkeley

    TITLE: PCP Testers: Towards a combinatorial proof of the
    PCP Theorem

    WHEN: Thu 2/26/2004

    WHERE: 113/1021 Research Lecture Room, Microsoft Research

    TIME: 3:30PM-5:00PM

    HOST: Jennifer Chayes and Assaf Naor

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

    In this work we look back into the proof of the PCP theorem, with the
    goal of finding new proofs that are ``more combinatorial" and arguably
    simpler. For that we introduce the notion of assignment tester. This
    natural object is a strengthening of the standard PCP verifier, and
    enables simpler composition that is truly modular (i.e. one can compose
    two testers without any assumptions on how they are constructed). A
    related notion was independently introduced by Ben-Sasson et. al. Based
    on this notion, we present two main results:

    1. The first is a new proof of the PCP theorem. This proof relies on a
    rather weak PCP given as a ``black box". From this, we construct
    combinatorially the full PCP, relying on composition and a new
    combinatorial aggregation technique.

    2. Our second construction is a ``standalone" combinatorial construction
    showing NP in PCP[polylog, 1]. This implies, for example, that max-SAT
    is quasi-NP-hard.

    Based on joint work with Omer Reingold.

    BIO:

    Irit Dinur is currently a Miller fellow in Computer Science at UC
    Berkeley. She graduated from the school of computer science in Tel-Aviv
    University with Muli Safra as her advisor.