Special Theory Seminar: Wednesday Feb 25

From: Paul Beame (beame@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 16:48:46 PST

    CSE Theory Seminar

    TIME: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2:30-3:20PM

    PLACE: CSE 203

    SPEAKER: Irit Dinur
             U.C. Berkeley

    TITLE: PCP Testers: Towards a combinatorial proof of the PCP Theorem

    ABSTRACT:
    In this work we look back into the proof of the PCP theorem, with the goal of
    finding new proofs that are either simpler or more "combinatorial". For that we introduce the notion of a PCP-Tester. This natural object is a strengthening of the standard PCP verifier, and enables simpler composition that is truly modular (i.e. one can compose two testers without any assumptions on how they are constructed, as opposed to the current proof in which one has to construct the two PCPs with respect to "compatible encoding" of their variables).

    Based on this notion, we present two main results:

    The first is a new proof of the PCP theorem. For this proof, we employ
    composition of PCP-Testers, and a new combinatorial aggregation technique.
    We achieve the final NP \subset PCP(logn,1) result relying only on a very
    weak basic PCP, i.e. one where the verifier reads chunks of n^{1-\alpha}
    bits. While this implies an arguably simpler proof of the PCP theorem,
    we still rely (in the construction of that basic PCP) on some of the
    algebraic components of the original proof (most notably, on low-degree tests).

    Our second result overcomes this difficulty for a weaker variant of the
    PCP-theorem (a variant which still implies very interesting hardness of
    approximation results). Particularly, we give a purely combinatorial
    standalone proof for NP \subset PCP[polylog n,1].

    This talk is based on joint work with Omer Reingold.