2/26/2004 PCP Testers: Towards a combinatorial proof of the PCP Theorem; Irit Dinur - UC Berkeley

From: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\) (a-kellim@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 09:04:37 PST

  • Next message: Kelli McGee \(Kelly Services Inc\): "3/8/2004 Superdiffusivity of two dimensional stochastic particle systems; Horng-Tzer Yau - Stanford University"

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: Irit Dinur

    AFFILIATION: University of California, Berkeley

    TITLE: PCP Testers: Towards a combinatorial proof of the
    PCP Theorem

    WHEN: Thu 2/26/2004

    WHERE: 113/1021 Research Lecture Room, Microsoft Research

    TIME: 3:30PM to 5:00PM

    HOST: Jennifer Chayes and Assaf Naor

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

     In this work we look back into the proof of the PCP theorem, with the
    goal of finding new proofs that are either simpler or "more
    combinatorial". For that we introduce the notion of a PCP-Tester. This
    natural object is a strengthening of the standard PCP verifier, and
    enables simpler composition that is truly modular (i.e. one can compose
    two testers without any assumptions on how they are constructed, as
    opposed to the current proof in which one has to construct the two PCPs
    with respect to "compatible encoding" of their variables). Based on this
    notion, we present two main results. The first is a new proof of the PCP
    theorem. For this proof, we employ composition of PCP-Testers, and a new
    combinatorial aggregation technique. We achieve the final NP \subset
    PCP(logn,1) result relying only on a very weak basic PCP, i.e. one where
    the verifier reads chunks of n^{1-\alpha} bits. While this implies an
    arguably simpler proof of the PCP theorem, we still rely (in the
    construction of that basic PCP) on some of the algebraic components of
    the original proof (most notably, on low-degree tests). Our second
    result overcomes this difficulty for a weaker variant of the PCP-theorem
    (a variant which still implies very interesting hardness of
    approximation results). Particularly, we give a purely combinatorial
    standalone proof for NP \subset PCP[polylog n,1]. This talk is based on
    joint work with Omer Reingold.

    BIO:

    Irit Dinur is currently a Miller fellow in Computer Science at UC
    Berkeley. She graduated from the school of computer science in Tel-Aviv
    University with Muli Safra as her advisor.