REMINDER: Interesting Talk in Applied Math this Tues, Feb 3

From: Paul Beame (beame@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 18:40:51 PST

    Immediately after theory seminar...

           "Networks, power laws and phase transitions"

            Raissa M. D'Souza
            Theory Group, Microsoft Research

            2:30pm, Tuesday February 3, 2004
            Guggenheim 317

    We are beginning to understand how pervasive network structures are in
    natural and engineered systems, and to formulate mathematical theories
    of network growth. A common observation in technological, biological
    and social networks is the existence of "scale-free" probability
    distributions, and of phase transitions (abrupt changes in behavior,
    such as the emergence of a giant connected core). Mathematical models
    of
    random graphs based on the paradigm of preferential attachment (PA) have
    had much success in reproducing the observed scale-free properties.
    Rather than assuming PA, we begin with a more basic mechanism, of
    competition between opposing forces, and show that PA can arise as the
    solution to the optimization problem. In addition, certain aspects of
    Internet growth, that have not been captured by previous models, emerge
    from our framework. =20

    I begin this talk by surveying characteristic structures of different
    types of networks. Then present the formulation of our model of
    "competition induced preferential attachment", including our main result
    proving that the degree distribution for the resulting network
    structures is scale free up to a finite threshold, and decays
    exponentially above this threshold. Time permitting, I will digress to
    a discussion of phase transitions, and present a computational study of
    "traffic" on a lattice, which shows a sharp transition from free flowing
    to fully jammed. It is a simple model whose behavior remained elusive
    for over a decade.