1/23/2004 Tur\'{a}n-type results for topological graphs; Rados Radoicic - Mass. Institute of Technology

From: Rosa Teorell (rosat@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 10:03:35 PST

    You are invited to attend...

    WHO: Rados Radoicic

    AFFILIATION: Mass. Institute of Technology

    TITLE: Tur\'{a}n-type results for topological graphs

    WHEN: Fri 1/23/2004

    WHERE: 113/1159 Research Lecture Room, Microsoft Research

    TIME: 10:30AM -12:00PM

    HOST: Jennifer Chayes/Christian Borgs

    ABSTRACT:

    A geometric (topological) graph is a graph drawn in the plane so that its vertices are represented by points and its edges by segments (curves) connecting the corresponding points. It follows from Euler's formula that every geometric (topological) graph with no two crossing edges has at most $3n-6$ edges. How far can we {\em relax} this simple condition so that it still implies that we have at most a linear number of edges?

    I will survey some known results and open problems on this subject. Among others, I will estimate the maximum number of edges of a geometric (topological) graph if there is no edge crossed by 2, 3, 4, and in general, by $k$ edges. I will also sketch the proof that if we do not have {\em three} pairwise crossing edges, then we still have a linear number of edges.

    As an application, I show how this is connected, through the well known Crossing Lemma of Ajtai, Chv\'atal, Newborn, Szemer\'edi, and Leighton, to many problems in discrete and computational geometry.

    If the time allows, I will also sketch the proof that any topological graph on $n$ vertices and $\Omega (n^{8/5})$ edges contains a self-crossing cycle of length four, with further applications.

    Joint work with subsets of $\{$ J. Pach, R. Pinchasi, G. Tardos and G. T\'oth$\}$.