1/19/2004 Quick Algorithms for Lattice Point Problems; Kevin Woods - University of Michigan, Dept of Mathematics

From: Rosa Teorell (rosat@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 12:23:20 PST

    You are invited to attend...

    *****************************

    WHO: Kevin Woods

    AFFILIATION: University of Michigan - Dept of Mathematics

    TITLE: Quick Algorithms for Lattice Point Problems

    WHEN: Mon 1/19/04

    WHERE: 113/1021 Research Lecture Room; Microsoft Research

    TIME: 10:30AM-12:00PM

    HOST: Jennifer Chayes

    ******************************

    ABSTRACT:

    I will talk about several problems related to lattice points, from an
    algorithmic perspective. The Frobenius problem is a good example. Let S
    be the set of all numbers representable as a nonnegative integer
    combination of given coprime positive integers a_1,...,a_d. What is the
    largest integer not in S? How many positive integers are not in S? For
    any fixed d, these problems and others admit quick (polynomial time)
    algorithms. The main tool I will use is the following theorem: for
    fixed d, the generating function of the projection of the set of integer
    points in a d-dimensional polytope is computable in polynomial time.
    Using this, we can find the generating function of S, as well as of
    other interesting sets of lattice points, such as minimal Hilbert bases
    and test sets for integer programming.

    BIO:

    Kevin Woods is a PhD student in Mathematics at the University of
    Michigan, and his advisor is Alexander Barvinok. Kevin studies problems
    in combinatorics, discrete and computational geometry, and theoretical
    computer science.