590?? - Quantum Computing seminars

From: Ethan Phelps-Goodman (ethanpg@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 20:15:59 PST

    There are two new quantum computing seminars this quarter. Both will be pretty informal, and no background in physics or quantum computing is required. Topics covered will include: What does quantum mechanics have to do with computation? What does quantum mechanics have to do with cryptography? What can quantum computers do faster than classical computers? How could we actually build a quantum computer?

    Details like room assignment and course numbers are in the works, so email me in the mean time if you are interested.

    CSE590?? -- Quantum Computing Reading Group
    Th 2:30-3:20, room TBD, 1 credit

    We will discuss basic results from quantum computing in the first half of the course and current research in the second half. Each week we will read and discuss a paper. Ten lucky people will get to give a presentation and/or lead a discussion. This will be a great introduction if you want to know what the field is all about.

    CSE590?? -- Quantum Computing
    T 2:30-3:20, roomTBD, 1-2 credits.

    For those who want to get your hands dirty, we will be going over the material from Mark Oskin's quantum computing course from spring '02. We will meet once a week to discuss the lecture notes and readings, and homework is encouraged to whatever extend you find helpful. See http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/590mo/02sp/ for a syllabus. Also, Mark has kindly agreed to hold office hours once a week for additional help.

    Ethan