TODAY: UW CSE Colloq / Kilian / NEC Laboratories / Achieving Obliviousness - The Theory of Secure Computation

From: Paul Beame (beame@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 09:30:36 PST

    COLLOQUIUM

    SPEAKER: Joe Kilian, NEC Laboratories

    TITLE: Achieving Obliviousness - The Theory of Secure Computation

    DATE: Tuesday, March 30, 2004

    TIME: 3:30 pm

    PLACE: EE-105

    HOST: Paul Beame

    ABSTRACT:

    Conventional cryptography provides strongboxes for our secrets. However,
    information often must be combined with other information to be useful,
    and to do that we have to take it out of hiding. Or do we? For the last
    two decades, researchers have developed the field of secure computation,
    in which secrets are combined while minimizing as much as possible the
    information leaked. I will survey the basics of secure computation and
    promising areas for future investigation.

    Refreshments to be served in room prior to talk.

    *NOTE* This lecture will be broadcast live via the Internet. See
    http://www.cs.washington.edu/news/colloq.info.html for more information.