Advice

This is not meant to be an exhaustive guide to graduate research advice. Just try a search for "advice for graduate students" on Google... 7.3M results. However, I bet you can pretty much figure out the pattern after reading the first 2 or 3. The problem with these is that they tend to be very general and say what you probably know already (though learning to act on the advice takes some practice). What I have tried to do with this page is collect a smaller annotated subset of articles that are targetted at the CS grad. student with an emphasis on advice given in specific areas. Even if you don't work in a particular sub-field, take a look at the pointers. Sometimes the differences are as illuminating as the similarities.

I will have certainly missed many good references so if you have some please email me (thanks to all those who have already sent me recommendations).

-Eytan Adar, December, 2006 (some links updated Apr. 2009)

General

Money & Proposals

Research Skills: Reading & Writing

Speaking & Conferences

Reviewing

Area Specific

While the sources below are biased by a particular discipline's world view, they generally have something useful for everyone.

AI

Architecture

Databases

Graphics

HCI

Languages

Networks

Systems

Software Engineering

Theory/Algorithms

More Resources

Other Long Lists (OLLs) & More General Advice

Thesis & Paper Writing

Burnout

Philosophy of CS

For Later

Humor

Last updated: Dec. 29, 2006