Paper Discussion Groups
1. Historical Perspective
2. Structure and Organization
- W. Wulf, E. Cohen, W. Corwin, A. Jones, R. Levin, C. Pierson, and F. Pollack. HYDRA: The Kernel of a Multiprocessor Operating System. Communications of the ACM 17(6), June 1974, pp. 337-344.
- R. Levin, E. Cohen, W. Corwin, F. Pollack, and W. Wulf. Policy/Mechanism Separation in Hydra. Proc. of the 5th Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, November 1975, pp. 132-140.
- David D. Redell, Yogen K. Dalal, Thomas R. Horsley, Hugh C. Lauer, William C. Lynch, Paul R. McJones, Hal G. Murray, and Stephen C. Purcell. Pilot: An Operating System for a Personal Computer. Communications of the ACM 23(2), February 1980, pp. 81-92.
- Jeffrey Chase, Henry Levy, Michael Feeley, and Edward Lazowska. Sharing and Protection in a Single Address Space Operating System. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems, November 1994.
- B. Bershad, S. Savage, P. Pardyak, E. Sirer, M. Fiuczynski, D. Becker, C. Chambers, and S. Eggers. Extensibility, Safety and Performance in the SPIN Operating System. Proc. of the 15th ACM. Symp. on Operating Systems Principles, December 1995.
3. Lightweight Threads
- Andrew D. Birrell and Bruce Jay Nelson. Implementing Remote Procedure Calls. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 2(1), February 1984, pp. 39-59.
- Brian N. Bershad, Thomas E. Anderson, Edward D. Lazowska, and Henry M. Levy. Lightweight Remote Procedure Call. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 8(1), February 1990, pp.37-55.
- Thorsten von Eicken, David E. Culler, Seth C. Goldstein, and Klaus E. Schauser. Active Messages: a Mechanism for Integrated Communication and Computation. Proc. of the 19th Int. Symp. on
Computer Architecture, May 1992, pp. 256 ---266.
- Roger M. Needham and Michael D. Schroeder. Using Encryption for Authentication in Large Networks of Computers. Communications of the ACM 21(12), December 1978, pp.993-998.
6. Virtual Memory Management and Distributed Virtual Memory
- Henry M. Levy and Peter Lipman. Virtual Memory Management in VAX/VMS. Computer 15(3), March 1982, pp. 35-41.
- Richard Rashid, Avadis Tevanian, Michael Young, David Golub, Robert Baron, David Black, William Bolosky, and Jonathan Chew. Machine-Independent Virtual Memory Management for Paged Uniprocessor and Multiprocessor Architectures. Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, October 1987, pp. 31-39.
- Kai Li and Paul Hudak. Memory Coherence in Shared Virtual Memory Systems. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 7(4), November 1989, pp. 321-359.
- Daniel Scales and Kourosh Gharachorloo. Towards Transparent and Efficient Software Distributed Shared Memory Proc. of the 16th ACM Symp. on Operating Systems Principles, Oct. 1997, pp. 157-169.
- Bruce Walker, Gerald Popek, Robert English, Charles Kline and Greg Thiel. The LOCUS Distributed Operating System. Proc. of the 9th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 1983, pp. 49-69.
- Michael D. Schroeder, Andrew D. Birrell and Roger M. Needham. Experience with Grapevine: The Growth of a Distributed System. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems, 2(1), February 1984.
- Eric Jul, Henry Levy, Norman Hutchinson, and Andrew Black. Fine-Grained Mobility in the Emerald System. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 6(1), February 1988, pp. 109-133.
8. File Systems and Distributed File Systems
- Marshall K. McKusick, William N. Joy, Samuel J. Leffler, and Robert S. Fabry. A Fast File System for UNIX. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 2(3), August 1984, pp. 181-197.
- Michael N. Nelson, Brent B. Welch, and John K. Ousterhout. Caching in the Sprite Network File System. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 6(1), February 1988, pp. 134-154.
- John H. Howard, Michael L. Kazar, Sherri G. Menees, David A. Nichols, M. Stayanayanan, Robert N. Sidebotham, and Michael J. West. Scale and Performance in a Distributed File System. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 6(1), February 1988, pp. 51-81.
- Mendel Rosenblum and John K. Ousterhout. The Design and Implementation of a Log-Structured File System. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 10(1), February 1992, pp. 26-52.
- Chandramohan Thekkath, Timothy Mann, and Edward Lee. Frangipani: A Scalable Distributed File System. Proc. of the 16th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 1997, pages 224-237.
9. Web-related Stuff
- Armando Fox, Steven Gribble, Yatin Chawathe, Eric Brewer, and Paul Gauthier. Cluster-based Scalable Network Services . Proc. of the 16th ACM Symp. on Operating Systems Principles, October 1997, pp. 78-91.
- V.S. Pai, M. Aron, G. Banga, M. Svendsen, P. Druschel, W. Zwaenepoel, and E. Nahum. Locality-Aware Request Distribution in Cluster-Based Network Servers." Proc. of the 8th ACM/IEEE Symp. on Arch. Support for Prog. Lang. and Operating Systems, October 1998, pp.205-216.
- Butler W. Lampson. Hints for Computer System Design. Proc. of the 9th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 1983, pp. 33-48.
11. Bonus Papers