Ryan Satogata & Tony Faizal --------------------------- | MySQL Information Outline | --------------------------- Considering the complexity of the idea, we decided to attack the topic in the following manner. Yeah, I know that it's copying the idea of about half the books out there on various languages, but it works... Build A MySQL 3.22 Database In Six Days --------------------------------------- Day 1 - Introduction -------------------- * Setup we assume the user has available before starting this document. * Topics covered in this document. Day 2 - Do A Basic Database Layout ---------------------------------- * What is a database? * How do I make a ER Diagram layout? - What is an ER Diagram? - What are the basic parts of an ER diagram? - How do I draw an ER Diagram? - Examples... * How does this translate to a database? - Example Day 3 - Basics & Beginnings of MySQL ------------------------------------ * MySQL Introduction - What it MySQL? - Functionality missing from basic SQL. - Security & Y2K Issues - Basic Commands - SHOW TABLES - DESC * Simple Tables - What is a table? - What is a record? - What are the data types that can be used? - What is an attribute? - What is a key? - How do I create a table? - Example Given * Simple MySQL commands - Example & Explanation of INSERT - Example & Explanation of DELETE - Example & Explanation of UPDATE - DROP TABLE - ALTER TABLE Day 4 - Simple Queries & More on Tables --------------------------------------- * Simple Queries - What is a query? - What is the basic format of a query? - How do I query by a particular attribute? (Example Given) - How do I query by a value of an attribute? (Example Given) * More Table Magic - DISTINCT (Example Given) - GROUP BY (Example Given) - ORDER BY (Example Given) - HAVING (Example Given) Day 5 - More Complexity In Queries ---------------------------------- * Join - What is a join? - Types of joins - Examples * Aggregation - What is aggregation? - SUM - MIN - MAX - AVG - COUNT Day 6 - Above and Beyond ------------------------ * INDEX - What is a index for? - How do I use one? * LOCK/UNLOCK TABLES - What is this used for? - How do I use it? * GRANT/REVOKE - What is this used for? - How do I use it? * Interface with JDBC - What is JDBC? - How do I interface this with JDBC? - Why is it so great to have this web interface? - Example: Grocery Server (hand out code for server) * Further Information Reference