CSE 473: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
Class will be in person in CSE2 G20 starting January 31
Attendance is not mandatory; all lectures will be recorded and made available on the Canvas class site, as usual. If attending in person, please wear a mask (N95 recommended) while indoors, and follow university policy if you suspect you may be ill or if you think you may have been exposed to someone who could be ill. See here for more details.
Instructor: Linda Shapiro
Office: 634 Allen Center, Phone: 206-543-2196
Office Hours: 11-12 Mondays by appointment (please email). This is NOT for coding help but for concepts and bigger picture questions.
- Purpose: To introduce Artificial Intelligence to CSE
both the basic topics and some state-of-the-art
This is a survey course that will look at a variety of AI subareas
such as problem solving, game playing, machine learning,
and computer vision.
- Text: Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach (third or fourth edition),
Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig,
Prentice Hall recommended
- Python Tutorial: Prof. Tanimoto's Tutorial
- Inclusion We wecome students of all backgrounds and
require mutual respect among students and staff. Students with
special needs should contact UW Disability Resources for Students.
Note: Topics from Chs 1-6 correspond closely to the text; after that not so much.
- Introduction (Ch. 1)
- Problem-Solving by Search (Ch 3)
- Beyond Classical Search (Ch 4)
- Game Playing (Ch 5)
- Constraint Satisfaction (Ch 6)
- Learning (Ch 18 and parts of Ch 20)
- Computer Vision with Learning
- Deep Learning
- Other Applications
- All work must be your own and individually done. We will report
all suspected cheating to the Dean of Engineering, as now required.
Copying the work from current or former students or from the web, unless given prior permission to use web packages is cheating.
- Programming Assignments: 60%
- Midterm 20%
- Final 20%
- COVID policies: During the month of JANUARY, the class will be online via Zoom. Once we return to live classes, you will come to class, but: If you are sick or have potentially been exposed to COVID-19, stay home. There are no attendance points in this class, so you will not be penalized for missing class to keep our community safe. We will be posting Panopto recordings and lecture slides are always posted, including the "ink".