FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Questions

1. I would like to cite these pages, is there any paper I can refer to?

2. Applets are not working, I see only errors. What shoud I do?

3. I have a question concerning GA, can you help me with it?

4. Is there any statistics for this page?

Answers

1. Question: I would like to cite these pages, is there any paper I can refer to?

Answer: If you want to cite a paper, use this reference:

Obitko, Marek and Slavík, Pavel. Visualization of Genetic Algorithms in a Learning Environment. In: Spring Conference on Computer Graphics, SCCG'99. Bratislava : Comenius University, 1999, p. 101-106. ISBN 80-223-1357-2.
You may find the paper online here or here. Of course, you are free to link this site from anywhere you want and you may also refer to this site as to
Marek Obitko: An introduction to genetic algorithms with Java applets, [URL of this site], 1998.

2. Question: Applets are not working, I see only errors. What shoud I do?

Answer: First look at browser recommendations.

You have probably browser with other version of Java than Java 1.1. Even some browsers, which have in description, that they support Java 1.1., really support Java 1.0 (without new event model). I suggest you upgrade your browser (sometimes is enough to change certain libraries).

Sometimes this error is caused by error in class transmition. In this case try reload the class or simply try it again after some time.

3. Question: I have a question concerning GA, can you help me with it?

Answer: I am not currently active in the GA field, so I probably can't help you with e.g. finding up to date articles concerning some special problem. Try to find answer to your question by e.g. Google and if it doesn't help, you may try to send me your question. I will try to answer within a few days. I would also recommend asking in comp.ai.genetic - there you have bigger chance that your question will be answered.

4. Question: Is there any access statistics for this page?

Answer: Yes, some statistics is available here.

(c) Marek Obitko, 1998