CSE 451 - Winter 1997: Syllabus

CSE 451

Introduction to Operating Systems

Autumn 1997

Course Admin

Texts

Operating System Concepts (4th Edition) by Silberschatz and Galvin

Also known as the dinosaur book. Currently available in the bookstore. A pretty common book, so you may be able to pick up a used copy without a lot of trouble.

You might also want to pick up a book on C that suits your tastes.

I will try to make several copies of the main textbook available for loan in the engineering library.

Computer Accounts

You should have an account on the CSE instructional machines. If you do not, see the CSE main office for a form.

Computer Software

You'll need to know how to use several pieces of software in this class.

The UNIX operating system shell.
mail, grep, ls, etc.
The Web
You already know enough about the web to have gotten to this point. Everyone in this class should set up their own home page if they haven't done so already. The details of getting that page linked into the class web will be announced shortly.
Programming utilities.
You'll need to know how to use tools like the C compiler, make, and a debugger (either dbx or gdb) in order to do the programming assignment. You'll also need to become facile with an editor; I recommend you use emacs. You're be on your own for using these tools; we'll not be spending any time in lecture on them.

Evaluation

Your course grade will consist of four components:

The midterms and the final exams will draw material from the homeworks, so it is criticial that you understand them.

Turning stuff in late

Please don't. We will not accept late turnins.

Is there room for me in this class?

I don't know. If you don't currently have an entry code, you should file a petition for entry with the front office. Please do not come to me to ask for a signature on this, as I can only redirect your request to the front office. If, at the end of the entry period, there are fewer students remaining enrolled than the maximum enrollment of this course, then some of the petitions will be granted.

Why not just take everybody?

I'd like to admit everybody who wants to take this class, but I'm unfortunately bound by certain resource constraints. These include: available seating, computing resources and grading resources.
If you're not admitted into the course this term, then you will need to take the course another quarter. The course is taught every quarter.

The Reasonable Person Principle

This principle (which applies throughout this course) simply states that a reasonable request made in a reasonable fashion shall be reasonably handled by reasonable persons.
The TAs and I are reasonable people, and we expect that everyone else involved in this class is as well.

A word of warning on cheating

Please don't. Concern about cheating creates an unpleasant environment for everyone. If you cheat, you risk losing your sposition as a student in the department and the college. The department's policy on cheating is to report any cases to the college cheating committee. What follows that is not fun.

cse451-webmaster@cs.washington.edu