403 lecture 2 Preliminaries: Many people spoke in class last week. Great! But others did not. Followups from last class: I have a confession: Last class, I lied. It is actually possible for testing to return "yes" to the question "is my program correct?". Our analysis of even vs. odd: "even", "odd", "unknown" is an abstraction. What is abstraction? What is a model? We talked about the purpose of building a model. What are the differences between a model airplane and a real airplane? We will "run" the program. The semantics of the operation is called a "transfer function". Examples: +, *, / * the analysis had *one job*, (tell us if the answer is even or odd), and it didn't do it. * we got an exact answer by writing a full symbolic representation of the program's output * what is the problem with that? What is a concrete example? [To do: add text for the board, to make the lecture more specific and convey the ideas more effectively.] Now, go to lecture slides [To do: add a picture for Purify/LCLint analysis.]