Various interesting links related to the class.
- Anchoring the Software Process, Barry Boehm, USC, 1995.
- Fog Creek Software home page. [www.fogcreek.com] Fog Creek is the creator of the bug/feature tracking software product
FogBUGZ. A principal in the company is Joel Spolsky, author of
Joel on Software, "tips, opinions, and highly questionable rants on the software development process" that I think are great reading
(archive). Some relevant rants are:
- VisiCalc history. Two first-person accounts of the beginnings of a killer app.
- The official history of
Google, another killer app. Unofficially, the web remembers everything, at least for a while.
- There is no official history of the Cuecat that I can find. (surprise!) But here's an interesting review of
how it happened from the
Dallas Observer (competitor to the company that spent $40M on the Cuecat).
- 23-Jan. SCO has created a new division entrusted with managing its intellectual property assets.
- 7-Mar. SCO Files Lawsuit Against IBM. "The SCO ® Group (SCO), the owner of the UNIX operating system, announced today that it has filed legal action against IBM in the State Court of Utah, ..."
- 14-May. SCO warns commercial Linux users of potential 'legal liability'
- 26-May. SCO announces a Unix technology licensing deal with Microsoft Corp.
- 30-May. SCO's CEO says buyout could end Linux fight
- 30-May. Analysts to SCO: No thanks to code review offer
Linus Torvalds likened the fight to a Jerry Springer episode.
- Employee Non-disclosure agreements.
- Intellectual Property, Some Confusing or Loaded Words and Phrases that are Worth Avoiding, The GNU Project / Free Software Foundation.
- The Free Software Definition, The GNU Project / Free Software Foundation.
- The Open Source Definition, The Open Source Initiative (OSI).
- Microsoft's Shared Source Initiative "is a source licensing framework that makes source code broadly available while preserving the intellectual property rights that sustain a strong software business."
- SourceForge.net is the world's largest Open Source software development website, with the largest repository of Open Source code and applications available on the Internet. SourceForge.net provides free services to Open Source developers.
- Antenna, Ant tasks for wireless development, by Jörg Pleumann.
- Microsoft granted US patent for "interactive entertainment".
More Intellectual Activity - Taking responsibility for your knowledge portfolio