CSE 373: Data Structures and Algorithms

Autumn 1994

Information concerning the first exam

The exam will be 50 minutes, closed book.

It may include any material from Chapters 1-6 that was covered in class or on the assignments. Material that I explicitly omitted of course won't be covered.

I didn't post any prior exams because there honestly weren't any that would be helpful as a guide. I haven't taught this course in a number of years; last time I used a very different book, with a very different coverage and order of presentation. The two people who taught 373/374 last year each had an approach that was considerably different from mine: one person had a considerably more mathematical orientation (much greater focus on the tough analysis of algorithms issues); the other person went far slower (hashing and balanced binary trees were the final two lectures of the course). So none of the three possibilities for old exams (mine, or last year's two instances of the course) made sense.

You should not expect to have to program on the exam, except perhaps for a bit of pseudo-code.

As with the homeworks, you should expect a number of questions of the form "here's a data structure; show the result of inserting the following three keys". This tests your knowledge of the data structures and algorithms in a way that's relatively precise.

lazowska@cs.washington.edu