We’ll be using Discord as our Office Hours queue platform in the 21sp offering of CSE 373. We aim for Discord to be an environment where you can comfortably collaborate with others, intuitively queue yourself for office hours questions, and build community with your peers. Remember that TAs may not monitor this Discord except during their assigned Office Hours times: for staff help outside of Office Hours times, consider posting on Ed.
See the Course Tools page for details on how to join our Discord server.
Queueing for Office Hours¶
- Once in Discord (either with an account or anonymously), go to the #oh-queue channel
- Send a single message to enter yourself into the queue. In the message, please include:
- Start with
@TA_on_Duty, which alerts all TAs currently running OH
- A brief description of your question(s) and/or issues you are running into
- @anyone (e.g., your partner) you would like to be in the queue together with. The TA on duty will help you and anyone you mentioned (using @) together.
- Once it is your turn to receive help, we will send you a direct message with instructions to talk with a TA. While you’re waiting, chat with other students in other channels to find people you can work with!
The #oh-queue channel is the office hours queue. When you enter the above message, you enter the queue. The TAs will typically help students in chronological order. To keep track of who is currently receiving help and who has been helped, we will react to your message:
- 📬: the student is currently in the queue and has not received help yet
- 💬 : the student is currently being helped by a TA
- ✅ : the student has been helped
- Please do not use the #oh-queue channel for any purpose besides queuing yourself
- To reduce clutter, message in the #oh-queue only once for each request. To clarify something, please edit your message by right-clicking > “Edit Message”.
- If you want to remove yourself from the queue, please delete your message by right clicking > “Delete Message”.