Mara Kirdani-Ryan  
(marakr@cs.washington.edu)

Welcome to CSE 351! We have put the most important links at the top, categorized by what they're for. Please check them out!

Events

We're using for lecture, section, and office hours. Please use your UW email when creating an Ohyay account! Schedules for events in Ohyay are below:

Lecture

• Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 10:50-11:50pm

Section

• AA: Thursday, 10:50-11:50am, Tim & Nick
  • AB: Thursday, 12-1pm, Kashish & Colton

Office Hours

• Monday: 4-5pm (Tim)
  • Tuesday: 1-2pm (Nick), 5-6pm (Kashish), 7-8pm (Colton)
  • Wednesday: 12-1pm (Mara), 1-2pm (Nick)
  • Thursday: 1-2pm (Colton), 3-4pm (Tim) 5-6pm (Kashish)
  • Friday: 12-1pm (Mara)

Asking Questions, Getting Assistance, Giving Feedback

It is very important to us that you succeed in CSE 351! Outside of lectures and sections, there are different ways to ask questions or discuss course issues:
  1. Visit office hours (see Events above)! In addition, if you need extra time or need to discuss something in private, feel free to email and make an appointment.
  2. Make a public post about course content on the , where they benefit the whole class. If other students can answer your question, you may receive a response more quickly than you would by emailing the course staff. This is the best way of asking questions about homework, labs, and other class-related topics. Before posting, please search through the questions that have already been posted in case someone has already asked the same question.
  3. Make a private post to just the course staff on the with any questions or issues you would prefer to discuss privately. While you can email staff members individually when that makes sense, contacting the whole staff is generally preferred to get a faster response and to let the whole staff see what issues students are having.
  4. Send to the course staff. The instructor will try to address the issue and share it with others only as appropriate, but will not have a way to reply to you without addressing the whole class.

Course Staff

Instructors

(they/them)
Staff Mini-Bio: Mara Kirdani-Ryan
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? WHAT WAS YOUR ACADEMIC PATH?
I grew up in Rochester, NY. I recieved my BS in Electrical and Compupter Engineering from Carnegie Mellon; I didn't really know what I wanted to do next, so I stayed for a Master's. I started my PhD at UW, focusing in Computer Architecture (compiler optimizations for manycore architectures), but switched to Computing Education at the end of my first year (working with the fabulous Amy Ko). Currently, most of my work centers career decisions made by undergraduate computing students and why so many of y'all end up going to 4 companies, but I'm also doing work adapting CS courses to foster student's political identity.
WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
I've been playing guitar for 22 years, I did a whole lot of running in high school, these days I mostly practice yoga, along with the usual Seattle activities, biking, hiking, bagel making, kombucha brewing.
HAVE YOU DONE OR EXPERIENCED ANYTHING REMARKABLE OR MEMORABLE?
I've come out 7 different times, each different, each awkward, and, perhaps more remarkably, I've successfully recovered a pair of glasses from the floor of a mosh pit.
WHAT ELSE IS TAKING UP SPACE?
I'll be working on a research paper, an intervention, a book chapter, and preparing for teaching next summer! I'm still figuring out lots of pieces about my identity and I end up spending a fair bit of time trying to detangle who I am from how I've been socialized.
COME TALK TO ME ABOUT
Queer theory, metacognition, surveillance capitalism, career counseling, computing in society, counter-narratives, gender, video games that tear your heart out, and how to craft the perfect bowl of cereal.
Virtual

Teaching Assistants

Kashish Aggarwal
(she/her)
Staff Mini-Bio: Place Holder
- Coming soon!

- Coming soon!

- Coming soon!

WHAT COMMITMENTS WILL BE CONSUMING YOUR CYCLES THIS QUARTER?
- Coming soon!

kashish
AB
Nick Durand
(he/him)
Staff Mini-Bio: Nick Durand
I grew up in Spokane, WA. I didn't discover CS until I attended UW, almost 2 years into my college education. I was originally going for an EE degree, but I took CSE 142 and loved it, especially Critter. Now, I'm working on my Master's here at UW. I've mostly focused on systems and networks.
Growing up, I loved basketball and still play for fun when I can. I also love video games, I'm learning to cook a lot of stuff! Currently learning various thai dishes.
I've had a few remarkable experiences. I've played (and sometimes won) championship games, I've traveled to some pretty cool places (most recent was Guadalajara), and I even went to a party thrown by a billionaire.
WHAT ELSE IS TAKING UP SPACE?
Currently, I work for the ICTD lab at UW, with a focus on network/distributed system work. I also work at the MILL, a makerspace on UW north campus. It is sadly closed over summer, but you should stop by when we reopen during fall!
COME TALK TO ME ABOUT
Anything! I love good conversation, and I'm open to talk about whatever.
durandn
AA
Colton Jobes
(he/him)
Staff Mini-Bio: Hello! My name is Colton Jobes. I’m a third year student in UW CSE. Right now I’m spending most of my time with school, and working as a Java instructor over zoom. When I’m not busy with that I’ve recently been spending a lot of my free time playing chess, golfing, hiking, playing poker, and I'm hoping to cross some books off of my reading list this summer. My favorite book I've read in the last year is Sapiens. Come visit my office hours!
- I grew up in Woodinville, Washington. It's not too far from Seattle, just on the eastside and slightly north. When I was a junior in high school my parents moved to Bainbridge Island, but I stayed in Woodinville to finish up high school there. After that I was accepted to UW CSE and I've been enjoying it here ever since!

- I am an avid golfer, and I've been trying to get better at chess recently, although I haven't played for too long. I also love to ski!

- The first thing that comes to mind is just a couple days ago I managed to win a pretty substantial online poker tournament.

- I teach Java and tutor math online, I am taking a class over at Bellevue college to pad a few credits, and I am trying to find time to be working on my golf game!

cjobes
AB
Tim Mandzyuk
(he/him)
Staff Mini-Bio: Tim Mandzyuk
I grew up in Snohomish Washington and have been here my whole life! My parents are immigrants from Ukraine so I am a first generation college student. I did running start in high school and then one year at Everett Community College afterwards. I then transfered into the Computer Engineering program here at UW and just got my Bachelor's degree! I got accepted into the BS/MS program so I look forward to starting that in the fall!

I love the outdoors and sports! In high school I did cross country, wrestling, and track, and then ran one year at Everett Community College. My coolest athletic achievement was getting second place in the steeple chase at districts while at EvCC. I have recently been getting into climbing too! Adam Ondra signed my chalk bag so basically I'm a pro climber. I also play piano and like to go on hikes!

I went bungee jumping on Memorial Day and was scared out of my mind. It was a blast and I would definitely go again!

Various vacations. I plan to go to Florida at one point and on a roadtrip with friends. I will nonetheless be here to help you all through this quarter! I seriously love TAing so never hesitate to reach out if you need additional help or just want to talk! I look forward to meeting y'all throughout this quarter!

timmandz
AA

Schedule

• Binary
  • Memory & Data
  • Integers
  • Floating Point
  • x86 Programming
  • The Stack & Procedures
  • Executables
  • Arrays
  • Structs
  • Buffer Overflows
  • Caches
  • Processes
  • Virtual Memory
  • Memory Allocation
  • Java and C

#
Day
Topic
Labs
Homework
Introduction, Binary
CSPP: § 1.0-1.10, 2.0-2.1.1 (p. 1-28, 31-39)
Integers II, Fixed Point
CSPP: § 2.2.4-2.3, 2.4-2.4.3 (p. 70-108, 108-119)
x86 Programming II
CSPP: § 3.6.0-3.6.5 (p. 200-213)
Memory & Caches I
CSPP: § 6.0, 6.2 (p. 579-580, 604-609)
Memory & Caches III
CSPP: § 6.4.3-6.4.7 (p. 624-633)
Caches IV
CSPP: § 6.5-6.7, 8.0-8.1 (p. 633-649)
System Control Flow & Processes
CSPP: § 8.0-8.4 (p. 722-756)
Virtual Memory I
CSPP: § 9.0-9.3 (p. 802-810)
Virtual Memory II
CSPP: § 9.4-9.7 (p. 811-833)
Memory Allocation I
CSPP: § 9.9-9.9.11 (p. 839-853)
Memory Allocation II
CSPP: § 9.9.12-9.10 (p. 854-870)
Memory Bugs, Debugging
CSPP: § 9.11-9.12 (p. 870-876)
TAs Choice + Time for Questions