Justin Hsia 
(jhsia@cs.uw.edu)

Welcome to CSE 351! We have put the most important links at the top, categorized by what they're for. Please check them out!

Events

Asking Questions, Getting Assistance, Giving Feedback

It is very important to us that you succeed in CSE 351! Outside of lectures and sections, there are different ways to ask questions or discuss course issues:
  1. Visit office hours (see Events above)! In addition, if you need extra time or need to discuss something in private, feel free to email and make an appointment.
  2. Make a public post about course content on the , where they benefit the whole class. If other students can answer your question, you may receive a response more quickly than you would by emailing the course staff. This is the best way of asking questions about homework, labs, and other class-related topics. Before posting, please search through the questions that have already been posted in case someone has already asked the same question.
  3. Make a private post to just the course staff on the with any questions or issues you would prefer to discuss privately. While you can email staff members individually when that makes sense, contacting the whole staff is generally preferred to get a faster response and to let the whole staff see what issues students are having.
  4. Send to the course staff. The instructor will try to address the issue and share it with others only as appropriate, but will not have a way to reply to you without addressing the whole class.

Course Staff

Instructor

Staff Mini-Bio: Justin
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? WHAT WAS YOUR ACADEMIC PATH?
Until 2016, I lived my entire life in various parts of the Bay Area (California). I spent 12 years at UC Berkeley getting all my degrees (BS, MS, PhD). Now an Associate Teaching Professor at UW!  😃

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
- ultimate frisbee, board games, hiking, camping, singing (a cappella)
- I am decently dexterous with my left hand.
- I can solve a few variants of the Rubik's Cube (I am NOT a speedcuber).

HAVE YOU DONE OR EXPERIENCED ANYTHING REMARKABLE OR MEMORABLE?
- So I have this story that involves kayaking, sea lions, a long night on a rock beach, a 🚁, and the coast guard...
- I once 🏃 a marathon. It was long.

WHAT COMMITMENTS WILL BE CONSUMING YOUR CYCLES THIS QUARTER?
- Raising an infant 👶
- Teaching CSE351
- 3C Fellows Program
CSE 544

Teaching Assistants

Allie Pfleger
Staff Mini-Bio: Allie
I grew up in Washington! I have lived here for most of my life, but I actually moved around a lot before we moved here. Now, I live in Bellevue with my husband, daughter, and our black cat (named Zechs, after the Gundam character). I was accepted to the Allen School as a transfer student and started in Autumn 2021, so transfers please feel free to chat with me about the experience!

I love playing both board and video games (I just got really into horror games, which seems like the perfect thing for Spooktober). I am an avid reader, mostly sci-fi and fantasy, though I have less time to read for fun during school. I love going to see new Marvel movies opening weekend! I also knit and crochet. Every March, I participate in a speed sock knitting competition called Sock Madness.

Getting married and having my wonderful daughter are probably the most remarkable and memorable experiences of my life so far :D

In addition to TAing this course, I am taking CSE 446, CSE 421, and HSTLAC 185. Also, parenting my 4-year-old!
pflegera
AD/CD, AG
Staff Mini-Bio: Anirudh
- I was born in Washington state and have lived here for pretty much my entire life. I first got interested in computer science after tinkering with Scratch in second grade. After taking IB Computer Science in high school and realizing that nearly every industry in the world is touched by CS in some way, I decided to pursue computer science in college. Now, I am a sophomore and am loving my time in UW's CS program!
- I trained in Karate for over 14 years, and even achieved second-degree black belt a few years back
- I have played violin since 5th grade, though I haven't practiced in a few months...
- I enjoy going on hikes, riding my bicycle, and playing tennis and badminton
- I love trivia and reading up on random facts. One of my goals is to make it onto Jeopardy! some day
- I went on a hike in Glacier National Park that took 12 hours to complete. In the afternoon, the side of the mountain my family and I were hiking on was completely exposed to sunlight. We were exhausted by the time we came to the end of the hike, but the view of the glacier was incredible (and surprisingly there was cellphone reception at the top!)
- I'll be taking CSE 332, CSE 312, and ECON 200
- I did FIRST Robotics in high school and really liked it, so I'll also possibly join a robotics-related RSO at UW
aniruk
BA/DA
Staff Mini-Bio: Assaf
I grew up in Israel until almost age 11 when I moved to the US. Ever since 2012 I have lived in the SF Bay Area (California). Currently I am in my 3rd year at UW!

- Currently doing a lot of killer soduku and online chess
- I used to be able to do 20 cartwheels in a row (almost the length of a football field), haven't tried recently though

- I have been through 30 or so escape rooms
- I driven 10 hours as the sole driver from the bay area to Santa Barbara to bring back a friend the day before inter-county travel was shut down due to covid-19 in 2020.

- Being a TA for CSE 351!
- Taking CSE 331 and 344, (also HSTAFM 263)
- Research position in the Molecular Information Systems Lab

assafv
AF
Atharva Deodhar
Staff Mini-Bio: Atharva
- I grew up in Mumbai, India, and moved to California in 2011. I've been doing comp-sci related stuff since middle school, and was admitted to the UW for CS in 2019. This will be my second time TAing but first time with 351, so looking forward to the experience!

- In my free time, I enjoy binging stuff on Netflix, reading manga, and speedcubing. A particular talent I have is that I can solve a Rubik's Cube in about 20 seconds.

- I think the most remarkable thing I've ever done was that in a poetry competition in high school, I won first place for writing about a fired teacher who had tried to use aerial advertising to get the principal fired.

- Other than TAing for this class, I'm going to be taking CSE 442, CSE 446, and MATH 411. I'll also be busy with the fall recruiting season!

adeodhar
BB/DB
Staff Mini-Bio: Celeste
- I grew up in a small city in southern China called Liuzhou but I went to high school in Kansas for 2 years. I used to be an ACMS-Data Science & Statistics major but I switched to CS at the end of my sophomore year because I realized I like computing a lot.

- I enjoy exploring coffee shops in Seattle and Thruline Coffee in Kirkland is my favorite. I started playing the piano at 5 and I have perfect pitch, which means I can identify a given musical note without a reference tone.

- I went bungee jumping with my cousin when I was 13. However, I closed my eyes when I jumped so it felt pretty scary and I don’t know if I ever want to do it again hahaha.

- I am going all in for fall recruitment so I will be leetcoding a lot LOL. I am also the president of the Actuarial Club at UW so I will be in charge of organizing club activities and workshops. Please come and check out our club if you are interested!

czeng
AB/CB
Dominick Ta
Staff Mini-Bio: Dominick
I was born in the south end of Seattle and have been here ever since. I had some CS experience from high school, so I applied for CS once I got into UW. My favorite classes at UW have been American Ethnic Studies classes where we learn about histories from perspectives that aren't typically heard. Currently I'm a senior majoring in American Ethnic Studies and Computer Science with a minor in Diversity!

I play tennis and I used to work at a tennis shop stringing rackets and selling stuff. Recently been doing a lot of swimming. I enjoy food.

- Stumbled upon an amazing hidden ocean side beach. It was a few miles long with untouched windswept sand, no sign of human presence, and we were the only ones on the beach. -

- Currently taking AES150, AFRAM101, and CSE481L (Community Networking Capstone)
- Will be doing a bunch of random stuff with Seattle Community Network. Let me know if you're interested in learning more!
domta
BD/DD
Francesca Wang
Staff Mini-Bio: Francesca
- I spent the first half of my life in China, and moved to Singapore after 2009. I discovered my interest in computer science after sending malicious javascript to my friend that spammed them childish messages for 50 times. :P Don't do it cause it was really fun. The first official CS class I took was the A-Level Computing class back in high school.

- I like to play Brawl Stars and I am pretty talented in drawing but I seldom have time for that.
- I can play a lot of sports like golf, base ball, tennis, touch rugby, basketball you name them but I am not skilled in any. The best 'sport' I can play is probably speed stack considering I was once second runner-up in Asian Championship.
- Trained in Muay Thai for 2 years so do not be late for my section, just kidding.

- It was back in high school where we prepped for a robotics competition. We would practice our presentation until 10pm and all the school gates and corridors are locked. We had to jump from the second floor such that we could get out of the building and go home.

- I will be taking CSE 333, CSE 421, Japan 101 and Phil 100 (TBD)

siyin250
BC/DC
Hamsa Shankar
Staff Mini-Bio: Hamsa
I grew up in the Redmond/Samammish area and have lived there my whole life. I took my first programming class during my freshman year of high school and found my passion for cs so I was overjoyed when I received my acceptance into UW.

I love doing anything related to music and art. I have been learning an Indian form of visual art called Madhubani for the past 3 years. Additionally, I love Disney movies and musicals and try to learn the songs on the piano when I have time.

I once got lost hiking on a mountain in Whistler with my cousins for 6 hours. I also went on a zipline tour of a cloud forest in Costa Rica and got stuck in the middle of the longest one :(

In addition to TAing this class, I will be taking CSE 442, CSE 154, and DXARTS 265 this quarter. I'm also helping out with some research at the AIMS lab and will be a developer for Impact++!

hamsas
BB/DB
Isabella Nguyen
Staff Mini-Bio: Isabella
🌎 I grew up in the Seattle metropolitan area!
🖥 I had never taken a CS class before I was directly admitted into the major at UW. I'm pursuing a BS in Computer Science and a Vietnamese minor.

📖 I love reading.
🧵 Handicrafting: I tat lace, knit, crochet, cross-stitch, sew, etc.
🐙 I have a strong interest in marine biology.

🔍 I've done research as part of UW's Human-Centered Data Science Lab.

🏫 This quarter I'm taking VIET 311 and CSE 484.
🪡 I'm also president of the Sticks and Strings Society, an RSO focused on crafting for charity.

nguyeni
BA/DA
Joy Dang
Staff Mini-Bio: Joy
- I was born and raised in Pullman, Washington - and yes, this is the home of WSU and lots and lots of wheat! After taking a couple CS classes in high school, I discovered that I really enjoyed programming and the problem solving aspect of CS. Now, I'm a junior studying CS here at UW!

- I love playing tennis, painting, baking cookies, and reading!
- I've recently been getting into digital art. I'm still pretty new at it, but the learning process has been super fun!

- Back when McChickens were still $1, my friend and I ate 10 of them in one sitting.

- In addition to TAing 351, I will be taking CSE 401, 457, and 490L! I will also be spending lots of time with friends and hopefully be making new ones as well!!

jdang14
AA/CA, BC/DC
Staff Mini-Bio: Julia
I was born in Toronto, Ontario, where I lived until I was 5 years old, and have been in Washington ever since. Currently a junior at UW!

- I'm a taekwondo black belt, decent badminton player, and big fan of learning new sports even though I tend to be pretty bad at them.
- In my free time, I've been enjoying Bob Ross' painting tutorials and trying to learn the guitar!

- I managed to let my friends convince me to learn how to snowboard at Whistler Blackcomb, and after spending the first day falling down the mountain, I fell the entire second day too. I fell with more experience day two though.

- I'm taking CSE 421 and 442 as well as MATH 324 and ENGL 288 this quarter. Any study buddies?

julialwa
AC/CC
Maggie Jiang
Staff Mini-Bio: Maggie
I'm from Kirkland, Washington! Currently, I'm in my third year at UW studying computer science. I was unfamiliar with programming until my senior year of high school when I tried AP computer science. That's when I decided to pursue it in college, and I'm really enjoying it now!

- I enjoy artsy activities such as drawing and piano, although I never have time for them :(
- I like to play tennis and racket sports in general!
- I waste too much time binging Netflix or watching reality competition shows

One time on vacation in Mexico, I drove an ATV across the Los Cabos Canyon Bridge, the longest wooden hanging bridge in the world! My whole life flashed before my eyes :O

In addition to being a TA for this course, I'll be taking CSE 451, CSE 427, and LING 269 (swearing and taboo language). I also just moved into an apartment for the school year, so I'll be attempting to learn how to cook for the first time. Wish me luck because I'll need it!

mjiang
AB/CB
Monty Nitschke
Staff Mini-Bio: Monty
I grew up in Spokane WA and Coeur d'Alene ID and have spent my entire life living in both states. I moved to Seattle after transferring to UW from a local community college in Spokane, and I am currently pursuing a masters in computer science.

I love to be outdoors hiking and camping. I also really like board games, Catan is definitely my favorite!

I was involved in a research project on farm crop diseases where I got to be the first person to see a previously unknown section of DNA.

This quarter I am taking 461 and 599 L!

montyn
AE/CE, AF
Morel Fotsing
Staff Mini-Bio: Morel
- I grew up in Cameroon, in Central Africa! I moved to Seattle and started studying at Edmonds Community College, then transferred to UW last fall!

- I love playing sports (basketball & soccer), working out, and doing some DUI electronic projects!

- Nothing comes to mind right now, but one of my goals is to visit 50 countries in the next 25 years, and I'm starting with France & Japan next summer!

- In addition to TAing 351, I am taking 446 (Machine Learning), 461 (Computer Networks) and 371 (Digital Systems)!

morelt98
AD/CD, AE/CE
Sanjana Chintalapati
Staff Mini-Bio: Sanjana
- I grew up in the Seattle area and decided to study CSE in my last year of high school after taking AP Computer Science. I'm currently a junior in the Allen School!

- In my free time, I play volleyball and I attempt to bake vegan desserts.

- I got lost in Disneyland once--not very remarkable or fun, but it was memorable.

- This quarter I'll be taking CSE 473, CSE 427, and BIOC 405.

sanjanac
AC/CC

Schedule

• Binary
  • Memory & Data
  • Integers
  • Floating Point
  • x86 Programming
  • The Stack & Procedures
  • Executables
  • Arrays
  • Structs
  • Buffer Overflows
  • Caches
  • Processes
  • Virtual Memory
  • Memory Allocation
  • Java and C

#
Day
Topic
Labs
Homework
Array and Structs, Buffer Overflow
Caches & Processes
Memory Allocation
Final Review