Ruth Anderson 
(rea@cs.uw.edu)

Welcome to CSE 351! We have put the most important links at the top, categorized by what they're for. Please check them out!

Events

Asking Questions, Getting Assistance, Giving Feedback

It is very important to us that you succeed in CSE 351! Outside of lectures and sections, there are different ways to ask questions or discuss course issues:
  1. Visit office hours (see Events above)! In addition, if you need extra time or need to discuss something in private, feel free to email and make an appointment.
  2. Make a public post about course content on the , where they benefit the whole class. If other students can answer your question, you may receive a response more quickly than you would by emailing the course staff. This is the best way of asking questions about homework, labs, and other class-related topics. Before posting, please search through the questions that have already been posted in case someone has already asked the same question.
  3. Make a private post to just the course staff on the with any questions or issues you would prefer to discuss privately. While you can email staff members individually when that makes sense, contacting the whole staff is generally preferred to get a faster response and to let the whole staff see what issues students are having. Alternatively, you may also send email to the staff email list.
  4. Send to the course staff. The instructor will try to address the issue and share it with others only as appropriate, but will not have a way to reply to you without addressing the whole class.

Course Staff

Instructor

Staff Mini-Bio: Ruth
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? WHAT WAS YOUR ACADEMIC PATH?
- I was born and grew up in North Carolina. I have a BS in Mathematical Sciences with a concentration in CS from the University of North Carolina. I came to UW for my PhD. I worked in Programming Languages, Compilers, and Parallel Computing before doing my PhD in Educational Technology & Pen Computing. I taught at the University of Virginia for 5 years before coming back to UW and have been here ever since. I've worked a bit in applying Computing to problems in the Developing World but mostly these days my research is in Computer Science Education.

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
- Running, Hiking, Backbacking, and generally getting outside.

HAVE YOU DONE OR EXPERIENCED ANYTHING REMARKABLE OR MEMORABLE?
- Once I was on a day hike where I had encounters with 3 different bears.

WHAT COMMITMENTS WILL BE CONSUMING YOUR CYCLES THIS QUARTER?
- Teaching CSE351 and CSE160! Ask me about the CS Education seminar CSE590E.

CSE 558

Teaching Assistants

Callum Walker
Staff Mini-Bio: Callum Walker
I was born in Orangeville in Ontario, Canada, but I have lived in Washington State for almost 19 years. I grew up in Duvall and am currently in my second year studying Computer Science at UW.

In my free time I like develop video games, make 2D and 3D digital art, and compose music. Sometimes I also like to take walks around campus.

In 2016, my high school team and I were crowned national champions in video game design at the Technology Student Association conference in Nashville!

In addition to TA-ing this class, I will be working hard on coursework for two CSE classes and production for the Animation Capstone!

calluw
AD/BD
Eddy Zhou
Staff Mini-Bio: Place Holder
- I was born in GuangZhou, China, and moved to Seattle with my family in 2014. I am currently in my third year at UW. Before i got into CSE I was studying in the department of mechanical engineering.

- In my free time I enjoy playing badminton, swimming, and playing computer games. My favourite game is Monster Hunter World, feel free to add me on Steam.

- I have visited over 20 countries with my family.

- I am taking 3 CSE classes and taing this course. Moreover, I am preparing for my GRE exam.

zty0911
AC/BC
Jeffery Tian
Staff Mini-Bio: Jeffery
- I was born in Toronto, Ontario but moved to the Seattle area in elementary school. I am currently a sophomore here at UW studying computer science.

- My hobbies include rock climbing and skiing and I am quite good at binge-watching tv shows.

- I have been bungee jumping in New Zealand.

- Along with taking my classes, I am TAing for this class, and participating on the human powered submarine team.

jefftian
AE
Jonathan Chen
Staff Mini-Bio: Jonathan Chen
- I was born in Seattle and have lived in this area for my entire life. I am currently in my second year at UW studying computer science.

- Besides my unique ability to sleep in, I enjoy soccer and football, photography, and music.

- I once (accidentally) brought a full bottle of water through airport security.

- On top of coursework and TAing, I am living in the 17th Ave House and will also be volunteering.

jchen7
AA/BA
Josie Lee
Staff Mini-Bio: Josie Lee
- I lived in a small town in Maryland before coming to Seattle. My first day at school was actually my first time on the West coast! In high school, I was luck enough to take an intro Java class which inpsired me to pursue CS which has led me to my current studies as a Paul G. Allen BS/MS student.

- Knitting (and most other clothes/fabric related things), cooking with friends, and caring for my darling plant-babbies.

- I'm a first generation student. Shouts out to any other first gens reading this!!!

- Classes, Research in the Human-Computer Interfaces (HCI) Lab, and Kick-boxing

jlee98
AE & AD/BD
Justin Johnson
Staff Mini-Bio: Justin Johnson
I grew up just north of Seattle in Snohomish, WA. Last June, I completed my undergrad in computer science at UW. I am currently in the second quarter of master's degree.

In my free time I enjoy reading, hiking, traveling, and talking about sports.

I've swam with dolphins in Central America.

Aside from TA-ing this course, I will be taking a class on data center systems and doing research.

jtjohn24
AC/BC
Porter Jones
Staff Mini-Bio: Porter
- I grew up in Seattle and have lived here my whole life. I just finished my undergraduate degree here at UW and will be starting my master's.

- I love biking, hiking, and skiing in the mountains. In the spring and summer I spend a lot of time in my garden, growing vegetables and flowers (dahlias are my favorites!). I also enjoy cooking.

- Witnessing a pack of osprey hunt 25 yards from me while camping this past summer.

- Classes and TAing this course will take up most of my time.

pbjones
AA/BA & AB/BB

Schedule

• Binary
  • Memory & Data
  • Integers
  • Floating Point
  • x86 Programming
  • The Stack & Procedures
  • Executables
  • Arrays
  • Structs
  • Buffer Overflows
  • Caches
  • Processes
  • Virtual Memory
  • Memory Allocation
  • Java and C

#
Day
Topic
Labs
Homework
HW 23 Due