Sam Wolfson 
(wolfson@cs.uw.edu)

Welcome to CSE 351! We have put the most important links at the top, categorized by what they're for. Please check them out!

Events

Asking Questions, Getting Assistance, Giving Feedback

It is very important to us that you succeed in CSE 351! Outside of lectures and sections, there are different ways to ask questions or discuss course issues:
  1. Visit office hours (see Events above)! In addition, if you need extra time or need to discuss something in private, feel free to email and make an appointment.
  2. Make a public post about course content on the , where they benefit the whole class. If other students can answer your question, you may receive a response more quickly than you would by emailing the course staff. This is the best way of asking questions about homework, labs, and other class-related topics. Before posting, please search through the questions that have already been posted in case someone has already asked the same question.
  3. Make a private post to just the course staff on the with any questions or issues you would prefer to discuss privately. While you can email staff members individually when that makes sense, contacting the whole staff is generally preferred to get a faster response and to let the whole staff see what issues students are having.
  4. Send to the course staff. The instructor will try to address the issue and share it with others only as appropriate, but will not have a way to reply to you without addressing the whole class.

Course Staff (click our faces to read our bios!)

Instructor

Staff Mini-Bio: Sam Wolfson
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? WHAT WAS YOUR ACADEMIC PATH?
I grew up right here in Seattle! I've always loved taking things apart, trying to fix them when they inevitably break, and figuring out how they work in the process. This path of problem-solving eventually led me to computers, and that led me to UW. I graduated with my bachelor's degree in computer science last winter and I am now in the CSE master's program here.

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
In my free time I enjoy skiing, playing guitar, and camping. I can make a pretty good apple pie. I also maintain a silly chatbot that my friends and I use in our group chat.

HAVE YOU DONE OR EXPERIENCED ANYTHING REMARKABLE OR MEMORABLE?
I spent this past autumn in Italy and learned about food! Talk to me about sourdough breadmaking!

WHAT COMMITMENTS WILL BE CONSUMING YOUR CYCLES THIS QUARTER?
Teaching this class, and hopefully doing some hiking, camping, and running (enjoying the beautiful Seattle summer).

CSE 212

Teaching Assistants

Rehaan Bhimani
Staff Mini-Bio: Rehaan M. Bhimani
I am from Sammamish, a city east of Seattle. Though before I moved to Sammamish, I lived in Colorado. Because most of my family lives in Colorado, it is kind of like a second home to me.

When I was in high school I was very interested in medicine, and I was intending to study bioengineering at UW. However, after I started writing software for a research project in the UW Department of Orthopaedics, I fell in love with computing and now I study computer science.

In my spare time I like to go fishing, play the guitar, and play basketball. I am not especially skilled at any of these, but I am always trying to get better!

A few years ago, I went fishing in Alaska with my family. It is a much different experience than urban fishing around the Seattle area. Not only was the fishing incredible, but I do not have words to describe Alaska's natural beauty. I hope I can go fishing there again someday!

Aside from TAing for this class, I will also be doing research in the Molecular Information Systems Lab. Outside of work I will be indulging in my hobbies mentioned above.

bhimar
AA
Corbin Modica
Staff Mini-Bio: Corbin Modica
I grew up in Issaquah, a (formerly) small town that's about thirty minutes east of Seattle. The biggest thing I miss is how quiet it is there compared to the city.

My first year of college was in Arizona, but the heat proved too much for me, so I transfered to UW. Two quarters later, I was lucky enough to be let into the CS department!

My answer to questions like this used to be that I could solve a Rubic's Cube, but I tried while writing this and I have actually forgotten how :(

Other than that, I spend way too much time playing MTG with friends, and I read a lot of books. Talk to me about Brandon Sanderson if you are looking for a new favorite author!

My last year of highschool, I had the chance to visit Paris for a day. When I arrived, I realized that I had left my sunglasses at home, and there was not a cloud in the sky. For those who don't know, the old parts of Paris almost completely consist of a bright, white stone that is particularly good at reflecting sunlight, so I spent my trip squinting, looking down, and being generally unable to see anything. However, what I did see was very beautiful!

TAing for all of you! I'll also be playing MTG, reading, indulging my penchant for video games, and improving my personal fitness.

modicc
AA
Daniel Hsu
Staff Mini-Bio: Daniel Hsu
I was born in Taipei, Taiwan, and I moved to Ningbo, China when I was in second grade. I attended international schools in Ningbo, China until I came to UW.

I enjoy eating. If you konw any good places to eat please let me know :)

Still in the progress...

Preparing for grad school - studying for GRE :(

shhsu
AB

Schedule

• Binary
  • Memory & Data
  • Integers
  • Floating Point
  • x86 Programming
  • The Stack & Procedures
  • Executables
  • Arrays
  • Structs
  • Buffer Overflows
  • Caches
  • Processes
  • Virtual Memory
  • Memory Allocation
  • Java and C

#
Day
Topic
Labs
Homework
Introduction, Binary
CSPP: § 1.0-1.10, 2.0-2.1.1 (p. 1-28, 31-39)
x86 Programming I
CSPP: § 2.4.4-2.5, 3.2-3.4 (p. 120-127, 169-191)
Processes, Virtual Memory I
CSPP: § 8.2-8.4, 9.0-9.3 (p. 732-756, 802-807)