Justin Hsia 
(jhsia@cs.uw.edu)

Welcome to CSE 351! We have put the most important links at the top, categorized by what they're for. Please check them out!

Events

Asking Questions, Getting Assistance, Giving Feedback

It is very important to us that you succeed in CSE 351! Outside of lectures and sections, there are different ways to ask questions or discuss course issues:
  1. Visit office hours (see Events above)! In addition, if you need extra time or need to discuss something in private, feel free to email and make an appointment.
  2. Make a public post about course content on the , where they benefit the whole class. If other students can answer your question, you may receive a response more quickly than you would by emailing the course staff. This is the best way of asking questions about homework, labs, and other class-related topics. Before posting, please search through the questions that have already been posted in case someone has already asked the same question.
  3. Make a private post to just the course staff on the with any questions or issues you would prefer to discuss privately. While you can email staff members individually when that makes sense, contacting the whole staff is generally preferred to get a faster response and to let the whole staff see what issues students are having.
  4. Send to the course staff. The instructor will try to address the issue and share it with others only as appropriate, but will not have a way to reply to you without addressing the whole class.

Course Staff

Instructor

Staff Mini-Bio: Justin
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? WHAT WAS YOUR ACADEMIC PATH?
Until 2016, I lived my entire life in various parts of the Bay Area (California). I spent 12 years at UC Berkeley getting all my degrees (BS, MS, PhD). Now a CSE Lecturer at UW!  😃

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
- ultimate frisbee, board games, hiking, camping, singing (a cappella)
- I am decently dexterous with my left hand.
- I can solve a few variants of the Rubik's Cube (I am NOT a speedcuber).

HAVE YOU DONE OR EXPERIENCED ANYTHING REMARKABLE OR MEMORABLE?
- So I have this story that involves kayaking, sea lions, a long night on a rock beach, a 🚁, and the coast guard...
- I once 🏃 a marathon. It was long.

WHAT COMMITMENTS WILL BE CONSUMING YOUR CYCLES THIS QUARTER?
- Teaching CSE351
- CSE General TA Training
- Course development for CSE333
- DiscNW Fall Team League (ultimate)
CSE 544

Teaching Assistants

Andrew Hu
Staff Mini-Bio: Andrew Hu
I'm from Kirkland, across the lake. I got interested in CS and education when I got to teach programming at a summer camp, so when I got to UW I became the first ever CS & Education (ECO) double major! WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
I translate manga/anime and enjoy studying Japanese. I passed the N3 (Intermediate) Japanese Language Proficiency Test, and I'm studying for the next test now (kanji is hard) HAVE YOU DONE OR EXPERIENCED ANYTHING REMARKABLE OR MEMORABLE?
I did a lot of camping, hiking, and backpacking this summer! Locations I went to:
  • Walupt Lake (camping)
  • Lake Sundown through Wynochee Pass in Olympic National Park (backpacking)
  • Copalis Beach on the Pacific Coast
  • Scenic Beach (campin) on the Hood Canal
  • Snow Lake
I am interning at Code.org on the education team for the 2019-20 academic year.
andrewhu
AA/CA, AC/CC
Antonio Castelli
Sup.
- I was born and raised in Mukilteo, and still live there (yes, the commute sucks).
- Since 6thish grade, I've been really into math, and originally wanted to pursue that. In my junior year of high school, however, I signed up for running start. With my extra freedom, I decided to take my first programming course (C), and loved it ever since. After I graduated and got into UW, CSE was my initial career choice, and I haven't looked back.

- I played violin throughout grade school (12 years!), but I unfortunately had to put it down for now due to the lack of time. Since then, I've dilly dallied with the classical guitar, but haven't gotten serious about it.
- I am quite in to Tetris, specifically 40 line sprint, and currently have a best time of 33.11 seconds. For reference, the world record is 16.95 seconds. I've still got a lot of work to do.
- I've also recently gotten into Diddy Kong Racing time trials, and currently spend a majority of my free time playing that.

Probably.

Classes, of course, will take a major amount of my time. My largest time commitment, however, will be my work on the Formula team (a team of 70ish students that design, manufacture, and compete with a Formula One-styled racecar every year). This year, my projects include the torque vectoring and traction control modules, as well as pioneering the perception module for potential driverless implementation. I'm super stoked for it, but will no doubt take an insane amount of work.

antcast
BA/DA, BD/DD
Cosmo Wang
Staff Mini-Bio: Cosmo Wang
- I grew up in a small town in China and moved to Seattle three years ago. I spent my first year at UW trying to become a math major and started to study computer science from my second year. Now I'm a senior in CS and ACMS and will be come a 5th year master in CS next year.

- I love Japanese anime and video games. I am a crazy Monster Hunter fan!! I also enjoy hiking and traveling.

- I studied abroad in Vienna during spring quarter of my freshman year and had one of the best times of my life! Austria is such fantastic place to travel and live in.

- This quarter I will be taking CSE 421, CSE 584 and PHYS 123 (yep, that's right) and also TAing this class, of course. Other than that I will probably continue helping out in AccessMap project and another research project with UW mental health clinic.

yw259
AA/CA, AB/CB
Diya Joy
Staff Mini-Bio: Diya Joy
- I was born in Bellevue, but spent 1st - 4th grade in Bangalore, India.
- I'm currently pursuing a CS + physics double major!

- I played the viola for 9 years (but haven't had time recently to continue).
- I love swimming!
- I like robotics (did FIRST Robotics in high school).

- Sailing in Croatia was really cool!

- I handle the competitive side for UW's League of Legends teams.
- Hopefully getting back into reading a ton of sci-fi!

diyajoy
BA/DA, BC/DC
Ivy Yu
Staff Mini-Bio: Ivy Yu
I grew up in Shanghai/Boston. I wrote my first line of code in CSE 142, and now I'm pursuing a double degree in computer science and psychology.

Hobby: Eating quesadillas from Anna's Taqueria
Talent: I can tie my shoelaces really fast
Skill: Color-coding the board when teaching section

I biked across the Golden Gate Bridge on my birthday, still recovering from the sunburn

Reading psychology nonfiction and feeding myself...

yuey26
BB/DB
Kaelin Laundry
Staff Mini-Bio: Kaelin Laundry
For fear of angering true Seattleites, I grew up near Seattle, accross the lake in Kirkland. Back in middle school I developed a hobby for massively over-engineering drag-and-drop Scratch projects and figured I enjoyed working with computers. Fast forward a few years and I'm an undergrad here at UW studying CS and writing software.

I love playing video games and have a thing for good accessible food.

I have a pink unicorn onesie I've been known to wear out and about during finals week. Why? No idea.

In addition to the typical CS courseload and TAing for CSE351, I'll be leading Computer Vision on the ARUW robotics team.

kaelinl
AC/CC
Maurice Montag
Staff Mini-Bio: Place Holder
- I grew up very close to Seattle, across the lake in Issaquah. I became seriously interested in programming during middle school, doing things like Minecraft modding and summer camps at iD tech. I took APCS my sophomore year in high school and never looked back.

- I'm a big fan of skiing and hiking, I love being in the mountains! I also like robotics, having joined a FIRST team in high school, but I haven't had much time for that in a while.

- I went camping with a group of close friends by Mount Rainier this summer.

- Other than being a TA for 351, and the usual CSE class load, I will be doing research with the BioRobotics Lab at UW, working with implantable neural devices.

rmontag
BD/DD
Melissa Birchfield
Staff Mini-Bio: Melissa
I grew up homeschooled in South Carolina with my twin sister and five other siblings, then started public high school after moving to Washington. Even though I was convinced that computer science wasn't for me, I decided to try AP CS my senior year. Turns out, coding wasn't that bad... it was actually kind of fun! I decided to pursue C.S. in college and haven't regretted it since.

- creative writing
- crochet (generally smaller projects like coffee cozies or amigurumi)
- hiking and swimming

I just came back from studying in Rome with UW Honors!

Besides TAing for this course, I'll be taking CSE 421 and CHIN 101, doing some research, and looking for interships (yay!). I'm also publishing a book in December, "Data for Dignity: Leveraging Technology in the Fight against Human Trafficking," so I'll be busy making sure my manuscript is ready to go.

mbirch2
AE/CE, BC/DC
Millicent Li
Staff Mini-Bio: Millicent
I spent more than half of my life growing up in Wichita, Kansas, and moved to Mukilteo, Washington, for high school. I didn't even know computer science existed when I lived in Kansas and so I'm pretty grateful that I discovered it when I moved here so that I could figure out my bearings. :)

I used to be WAY too good at video games for my own good... I also like to bike, hike, take photos, play violin and cello, and nap.

- Taught English in rural Taiwan for a summer and snuck out to amazing night markets late at night
- Hiked up to Sentinel Dome of Yosemite with a few friends to watch the sunset and stayed past dark to stargaze and blast 'A Sky Full of Stars' on Spotify in the middle of the wilderness
- Backpacked Europe for two weeks, going through Italy, Germany, Switzerland, France, and the UK with a friend of mine (who is also another 351 TA ;) - guess who?)

I'll be taking CSE 421, CSE 440, EDUC 251, and CHIN 111. Also, I'll be TAing this class (of course), researching in the Ubicomp Lab, working with CSE SAC, and hopefully learning to cook if I have free time.

limill01
AB/CB, BB/DB
Suraj Jagadeesh
Staff Mini-Bio: Suraj Jagadeesh
- I'm a mathematician at heart just trying to make a few bucks. I grew up in the Bay, specifically Milpitas, CA. I've always sucked at everything besides Math in grade school, and then eventually CS in high school, so here we are. I'm a CS and Mathematical Economics double major (even though I will likely be dropping the Math to take more CS classes). Real Analysis is hard

- I love the New Orleans Saints! They just beat the Seahawks :) I also love playing fantasy football, here's my 8 man fantasy league with 2 qbs, 3 flex, and a short bench--let me know what you think of my team! I've also watched The Office through 11 times and I'll be embarking on my next annual run soon.

- I'm convinced my memory lasts only 4 years and in that time I've been to Korea which was pretty cool. I also worked at Airbnb which was a fun time until it wasn't.

- Compilers, Complexity, and Networks.. Also I'll be spending Thursday nights, Sundays, and Monday evenings watching Football. Full Time job applications are also fun!

surajj
AD/CD, AE/CE

Schedule

• Binary
  • Memory & Data
  • Integers
  • Floating Point
  • x86 Programming
  • The Stack & Procedures
  • Executables
  • Arrays
  • Structs
  • Buffer Overflows
  • Caches
  • Processes
  • Virtual Memory
  • Memory Allocation
  • Java and C

#
Day
Topic
Labs
Homework
Array and Structs, Buffer Overflow