Slide 1 What did they think they were getting right with this image? It's easy to be a Critic rate yes yes Adobe Creative Cloud, So they sell software for making visual designs of various levels of interactivity for various platforms. They are showing off what they can do it all arguably they think they are maybe right because it's like not a gradients like a fancy gray and I don't know I'm trying to put myself in their heads What do you think is wrong with it? So these are experience might not be leading where they want Great what other thoughts do you have? Are there any other issues? I know I heard things that have not been said So I'm going to point out that the white the thin white text is very low contrast and comparison to the background and this is now getting into accessibility issues as well as the finest shoes because for some segments of the population that might just be illegible. So there's a range of issues and they're all relevant to today's class because people rather than technology to a great degree and how your physiology affect your ability to get output from the computer since we make sure to have. Slide 2 Slide 3 Slide 4 So today is called properties of people and our goals are to talk primarily about visual properties of people but also to some degree memory because it has to do with processing visual output and other cognitive properties of people. I'm going to argue that people's visual ability has a big impact on everything from how we the underlying model that we use for color when we set a color inside the machine all the way up to how we make a design accessible and how we make it easier for people to get what we hope they will get from it of any type but we will talk of at least two degree about color blindness in particular because it is a very large percentage of the world population that you're failing to address of the world's population. You know you might say well that's all but I don't know how you were picked up your phone late at night when your glasses for an hour and try to look at it right I mean there are it's it's all about making its you're making and presumably making it is usable by as many people as much of the time as possible and so being aware of these things is important okay Slide 5 Slide 6 So let's start with color I am showing here. what is this a picture of? I'm just going to report some things I see on the screen right at clearly has a scale it's labeled the colors mean something numeric that much we can get from this it is if you know a little bit about visualization you might even think this looks like a heat map that's the name for this kind of visualization but can you tell. What it's a picture of yes please pick up a little please could be a possibility I'm going to show you a different version of it where the colors have been assigned differently and then I want to see if you know what it is Slide 7 Picture map of the United States and what you're saying there is Florida it was a blob when the scale was wrong so this is what are some of the things that are changed between the left and the right besides just the the scale itself? What else do you notice about the Green in the blue anyone? Yep and I must be wrong it can't be temperature because I'm looking at the way they did the distribution and right at zero they switch from blue to green which means that it's not temperature it's something else because at zero is where you switch from water to land right so that the border of the water in the land is a hundred percent clear in this version of the end by making that choice and you can see that like where they switch from blue to green instead of it being a complete change sort of something that's that's not just an linear interpolation But I think they're important to so I would say that they're using Hue less should I have fewer queues right there fewer different colors and their emphasizing what we call saturation invaluable talk about that in a little bit which is easier to differentiate for people in it Maps better to a scale so this sort of range between black and blue is not changing in humid is changing and other values that are easier to okay so this all drives from theories about how human see that are going to be something so that we we ask you to actually think about him learn to this class so in particular your eye has Slide 8-9 So this will come up another HCI classes probably cuz it's such an important part of how we perceive and in your eye are different cells so you have cells called rods which are primarily used for night vision they help you perceive movement so I think about an evolutionary human who's living in the spino in the open plain area and there need to be able to tell what a predator is coming towards them and so changes that involve movement need to be possible to see even at dusk right when you might be less able to see other things so it's very able to see changes and gray and movement but it can't they can't discriminate between color at all and if you've ever gone out at dusk Concerta felt like the world was black and white that could be because he's more sensitive cells are still seeing in the colors they can see just like the dog can't do this and you can see those cells can only see black and white Slide 10 -11 that can see color mostly in the center of your I have many more of a cell's Etsy black and white then see color so you're much better at perceiving things like motion then differences in color for example this is what the cells look like here I'm working what these different cells can see if you actually have three different types of cones one that sees blue one that sees green one that sees red and then you have brought lots and lots of rods okay and when these cells are excited by incoming lights that sends a signal to your brain which interpreted as colors you don't see here like purple because your brain is is doing the interpolation it's going all I see this many red cones are excited and this many green cones are excited what's red plus green a messy brown right so that's that's kind of how your brain actually perceives colors through those wavelengths I mean it's a it's a bell curve with assaulting perceived but the center is in a specific wavelength that make sense so this has really interesting implications for how we. Design computer systems were matching the eyes model when we decide what to display Slide 13-14 we can't actually see the other colors we interpret them so the RGB color model is actually matching the way the eye works you have a bit for each of three colors which are the colors that your eye perceives most easily so why why don't we instead why do we and we actually when we decided to split we often have LEDs that show in those colors right so you have three LEDs that are turned on to different degrees and we'll talk in a second about how you can make something brighter or less bright in that context so any thoughts about you no way manufacturer and I think I could make some money by adding yellow LEDs to my red green and blue ones you're the marketing department you're all gung ho and a scientist who works in house comes on and says that's a really dumb idea what argument would they make for that why is that a dumb idea right why would you why wouldn't it be nice to go talk to your neighbor see if you can think about what is the biological reason why we only need three colors okay so I'm ready to launch a marketing campaign what are you going to tell me why not have yellow LED use in our nice TVs yes is only three types of cones in the eyes so what what is a yellow LED going to change in the experience of our users nothing right there they're just going to see yellow is made up of other of colors right that they will see but those same colors can be produced by the LEDs that we already have that makes sense however RGB is really unintuitive to design with it's really hard to pick colors in three dimensions on a two-dimensional screen turned it perceived how they like it looks disjointed on this representation at least right it doesn't match the way we think about color. slide 14 Wo when you design with color we often use it's called the HSV model which is a hue saturation value model and this is a cylindrical model so the Hue is the value of round the outside or the angle so that's just like this rainbow on the flat top of my cone okay and it value it varies between 0 and 360 angle right in Rainbow order saturation is my value from the center to the edge so when I'm in the center everything's white and then as I moved the adjectives pure and pure version of the color and value is top-to-bottom so it's kind of how much black is mixed into the color that make sense so you should be comfortable with this Slide 15 Which is varying here between these two colors is it Hue saturation or value? You should be able to recognize this you want to talk to your neighbor for a second come up with an answer and then we'll do a vote oh it looks really similar there (on the screen) Okay so anyone think it's hue good because it's alright right I'm guessing it's hard to tell whether its saturation or value so what we've done is we've actually has less that's rationed in the bottom one here and it's much more obvious that you can look at this on a regular screen on the web here is a diagram only of value in saturation changing off for the same queue so we were up here in this range we were changing the that race XX Slide 16 CHS be rendered and he's like two dimensional example of saturation value for a given value of a two-dimensional example of view I forget what I just said but you know what I mean Slide 17: okay so let's pick a different problem you've been asked to create a digital paper compatible interface like think about if you've seen a Kindle Paper ever and with digital paper the way that most digital paper acid I think all is black and white okay so you need to pick colors that will be easily distinguishable in black and white when you're designing your color interface if you wanted to also look good on a Kindle or is it a hue saturation or value that you should use most in making sure that this display will look better so if we very hue not going to change slick back here right we very Hugh but we keep saturation in value fixed if we're in the center everything's going to be white from the outside it's all going to look black that makes sense or dark how about if we very saturation if we're burying saturation vs value which season is going to look better on a black and white display I would argue value is our best choice you can see that it works in a black and white area of the saturation range right we could imagine mixing saturation and value to degree but and we can use multiple colors as long as they also buried in value will be good right but if they are exactly the same saturation value. Are there questions about this? So it just be a sign that you should feel comfortable with Slide 18 At the same time we are taught while we're talking about human biology and Physiology in particular right we have to remember that color itself is culturally defined so the link at the bottom here in this footnote is to a study where they actually showed that people who were fluent in Russian were able to distinguish between blues that were both dark but had different Hues faster than native speakers who didn't speak Russian and that's not the only study I seen looks at differences in color perception in different groups and the reason that they believe this distant distinguishability exist for the Russian speakers is that they have more words for blue in their language than English speakers do and so they actually did a follow-up study where they had them try to memorize 8 numbers while they were distinguishing and as soon as they got their brain occupied that way their speed Advantage went away because they didn't have access to The Language Center while they were doing the task so just an interesting side note that and we have a faculty member here who studies what she calls weird populations where which is an acronym for essentially people who are not in the sort of majority group that we usually designed for Katerina Reineke and she studies things like these kind of cultural color differences among many other things you should definitely go look at her work okay color is also a relative kind of saying your perception of color depends on context Slide 19 just going to show this video quickly cuz it's super cool. Keep your eyes on the center of the screen forgive me for the sad are not to get it to go away an explanation in the video by this works which I'm going to leave to the viewer for a future time because I want to make sure we get through many other fun experiments today but a cool fact Slide 20-21 So some design tips these are takeaways that you should use when you're building interfaces don't rely on Blue for small objects hello web not a good idea okay but they're actually not distributed evenly it turns out that not only do you have fewer cones than rods but you have mainly Reds Fu Blues so you're less sensitive to blues and particularly like right in the center yeah bad choice Slide 22 also don't rely on Blue for older users because our lenses get yellow and their and absorb shorter wavelengths as we get older so sensitive tivity to Blue becomes reduced as we age and I give this example here because I'm on the editorial board for IEEE pervasive or I was until very recently and they were sending out examples of how we could color the magazine and this was the Top Choice Slide 23-24 so luckily I was able to speak up and say we really need to pay attention to contrast very strongly here because on top of if you look at like the word feature article here right that's fairly Thin Blue on white not a good choice not accessible and not accessible to people as they age okay so designs hit number three is to make sure that your contrast is high this will take care of the translation to black and white pretty well and so the there is by the way a wonderful set of guidelines called the wcag guidelines that were put for us by the W the World Wide Web Consortium and have been updated repeatedly over the years that have really really well written explanations for how to make your sights website accessible and I applied it anyting many of them and they've been fine because they are also the basis for all of the court cases about accessibility so there's been a lot of effort put into making them clear specific and well described and there's a really great website called web and where you can look things up as well so that the requirement for websites that was a good one of these for your phone as well as at least 4.5 to 1 contrast and so these commonly used Shades of Grey or actually failing that contrast threshold and there are websites where you can put two colors in and it will tell you if the contrast is high enough to be exempt or not this kind of accessibility affect your ability to view a screen effectively in low-light it again it's more than just a disability accommodation but it's also just generally good practice to do you can also just use a black and white photo copier if you already have a GUI and as soon as you do that you'll be able to see if the contract is good enough Slide 25 okay another thing that you should really do is minimize saturate colors so this image is from a website that was actually talking about good design but I find it very difficult to read the other text especially when it's tiny on my screen it's not even just an accessibility issue but it's like more work for you to read if you need something to really stand out like a stop sign yes use a saturated color cuz it will also jump out at you but yeah don't follow this vibrant colors and web design advice there's some really great websites that I liked you on the slide where you can start you can ask for color palettes that you can use in a design and then cuz another really important thing as you want to try to be consistent right see you when you use the same colors over and over again in your design and slide 26 These kinds of websites, Color Brewer pallete's, these kinds of color scheme were they have really nice advice. Some of them you can give them a starting set of a small number of colors and they'll generate a few additional ones that you can use with them so good place to start if you're doing the design kind of thing we're going to do another experiment Slide 27 This will tell you if you have any form of color blindness. So the idea is to see if you can see the number in each of these circles. If you can't see don't worry, for one thing it's hard to get these to match, the exact test is usually printed on paper and also many many of us have small color blindness. It's interesting to see which of these are hard and which are not and these are not things that you normally do and design these color mixtures cuz they're not easy to distinguish right Two main types of color blindness there's people who respond differently to photo-pigments so they have the reduced capability to discern small color differences. And then the best-known one is what's called red green deficiency, where you lack either red or green photopigment distinguishability, so you can't discriminate colors on the red green scale. There are also blue yellow color blindness examples and people who have total color blindness. Some women have a fourth type of cone estimates are about 12% and can see colors that men can't see welcome to watch the rest of this video on your own Slide 28 scientist use redundant cues what is redundant between these two signs I have it on the side light so they have a mixture of colors that is not likely to have a color blindness issue right white and red there is also a difference in something other than Hugh here they also have a different return it to you so that you can distinguish between them really easily what is it tarte shape Slide 29 it's just the perspective of it thank you, okay great so we're going to switch tax and drop color off our list now that we've covered so much of it and talk about just out psychology which is a field of psychology that looks at among other things how to trick people which is kind of fun. Slide 30-32 So first of all how do we actually create color we've already talked about 3 LCD cells per pixel small your eye reconstructs so every time you look at a computer screen or a TV we're kind of tricking your eye because what is actually there are little dots or squares depending on the particular technology news and you don't see these you see the whole rice your brain does that automatically Slide 33 how do we do grayscale related to how we do animation how to do grayscale yes so that's going to do saturation no it's fine it's a good idea and it's something we can do but to do grayscale but we need to do is actually blinked them on and off so we're mixing darkness in your name already today and I forgotten that sister Kevin thank you I'm going to work on learning your names because I'd much rather learn them they're not going to make mistakes and I'm going to forget and I'm going to ask your forgiveness for that I know we're doing an experiment with name tags but lots of you don't have them so I'm just going to keep asking as well Slide 34-36 Kevin thank you so it turns out that when you get to about a 50th of a second discrete images merge into continuous perception and images that you were looking at that flicker don't look like they're flickering anymore there are some differences and your prescription your peripheral vision with this which relate back to those original humans and what was necessary for survival but that's about what we're aiming for so you pretty much never have to be faster than this in order for users to use your machine which is good very easy to hit the target cuz we got about a hundred and twenty million instructions Precor and that was when I wrote the slides which was a few years ago hi tan Jeep you theoretically can get to 26 billion instructions per second in the first GUIs like in the 80s right even that not a big deal to update thanks little bit of maybe they're right so easy to change the screen in a way that seems like it's instantaneous or continuous depending on if we want to do grayscale we have to remember 42 60 frames per second Slide 37 we can also use this fact for animation so if you don't have if you if you have at least 10 frames per second ideally 20-40 your animation will look smooth. If you have a slow device that's not updating at that speed it might look like the u-dub goes from here to Here Without sliding how many people had to deal with that yeah okay not a big deal still working the issue is human perception and the frames per second that you're getting because of the hardware make sense Slide 38 even though we want to go that fast if you want continuous perception when it comes to cognitive processing a hundred to two hundred milliseconds seems like instant response it's really it seems instant because that's about the fastest that your eye moves around the screen so the way that your eye works is that most of the time it doesn't hold still even when you're reading text if you do and I tracking thing you'll see that the eyes full body is focus is moving all over the screen not entirely randomly so you can do studies and see like which parts of the screen are more attractive to the eye and marketing people do that for example very interesting you learn a lot from that but it's still not still this is one of the reasons it's really hard to use the eyes because it's really hard to tell unless you wait for one or two seconds or at least half a second you known wait and see how many times he goes back to the same spot what somebody would want to select right or where they want the cursor to go for example so there isn't a different kind of emotion called Smooth Pursuit so if I move my finger and your eye is following that it will move smoothly instead of jumping around because of that evolutionary need to follow motion ready to look away from the saber-tooth tiger and it's now behind a tree you might not be able to find it again so you have a natural tendency to follow things that are moving and there's been some really cool research using this example to make watches so if you have if you have two dots moving at different speeds around a circle you can tell exactly which. The eyes following because it's not psychotic kind of. So we might look at that later in any case hundred to two hundred milliseconds is about the fastest the icons the Cod and so things look like they're changing basically instantaneously if you're doing that Slide 39-45 Pre attentive processing Now I need a victim with a stopwatch 3 volunteer anyone the phone with the stopwatch somebody thank you okay great so we're going to study pre attentive processing is say same if every object on the screen is the same and different if at least one is different I'm going to look at a series of images and you're going to time how long it takes for someone for everyone to respond in each image okay so get out of pencil and get your stopwatch ready this time around so let's say I'm going to say about to switch images you're going to start your stopwatch okay just started now everybody say same if these are all the same and different if they at least one is different I really have to speak damn good okay Stop & Shop right down your value okay now we're going to do it for real so get ready set go Set Go Set Go what's your saying whether all the dots are the same or different sorry for not being clear about that anyting you're comparing only within this screen and not to previous screen okay Ready Set Go Set Go Ready Set Go so can you tell us what the time was for each of these 1.945 for this one the practice 1 9 4 yeah that was faster what's different between these two okay so color was faster than shape next one longer to see that nothing was different than this right make sense how about this one so size also very easy to perceive right and this one 1 2 3 4 5 5 let's not try to debug this thank you so much for your service I think that you also have an intuitive sense of which of these were easier so that should give you an idea as well okay Slide 45 so the tip the design tip here is make things distinct and the order that should be you should find if you redo the studies that value like color is fastest orientation then texture than position okay Slide 46 so next design tip use small multiples so we see this all the time on the web and I have picked this example with the Stars as an example of that race is a way to visualize data it was originally one of the original text on visualization that's most famous is by Tufty and he has a book that talks about the value of small small multiples the things that that very using color or shape or something that's easily distinguishable can really convey information and often also the aesthetically interesting or have shapes that are relevant to what you want to talk about right that are not so abstract and still convey information really well and stars is a great example of that all the time online Slide 47 Okay so the next time you want to talk about is a good response time so if you are thinking about an end-user and you haven't had this to do more serious computation if you're still in that one tutu II range people will typically not complain so I'm like right on the border that when I'm working on my slides I shouldn't to count to five every time I save before Jack gets the whole website reloaded and then I can see an update I can hit reload and see how my slides look and that's like just a little bit painful right it slows me down in a way that I don't like when I'm working on developing slides for this course cuz they're right but if it's down below 1 to 2 seconds it's fine and one of the ways in which you can sort of get an intuition for this is if you're having a back-and-forth conversation you pronounce your last name lamb I'm glad I had it right that's 5 Second Gap is just a little bit uncomfortable right where is if I had responded within 1 to 2 seconds it would have felt like a more normal conversation so that's kind of an intuition for where that comes from Slide 48 okay and then if we get up into the 10 to 15 second range now we're really in bad response time the web has trained us except slower response Times. web plus like Wireless. Plus all of the infrastructure that we use. Slide 49 but if you are able to get a even a 250ms Improvement by switching computers or networks typically you will so that's a sort of Market goal that you have to think about if you're designing something Slide 50 okay that was a Microsoft, by the way so the last thing I would say those that you can also manage expectation so people are more tolerant if you give them feedback about what to expect. Slide 51 and here's a really fun example from a faculty member at see me to where I used to also be of a study that was done that shows this kind of management so they did a comparative study of all of these different progress bars where they didn't show them all at once compare which was faster or slower know if it's not obvious when that first image each of these is taking exactly the same amount of time but perceptually it feels different interesting okay Slide 52-53 there's also something called change blindness and this is fun because it shows how you can actually fail to perceive change entirely if it's designed either intentionally to do that or badly don't know if we have the young man on the left is one of the experimenters he's approached the white haired man and ask for directions what country has two people carrying a door passed between them and the first experimenter is replaced by someone else can I go in favour great ones coming up okay nevermind we have more to cover please Slide 54-56 play subtle changes with obvious ones is a really good designs tip and a classic example of this is when you fill out a form and it says you had an error and then you have to search through the whole thing to figure out where the air was cuz they like change the color of something that he wasn't just slightly more red or at a time a little star next to it and it's hard to see especially if it's a screen when the change happens you know so don't do that here is an example please fill in the required Fields really how about that right okay next Slide 57-58 Connor it you don't know which one is associated which one this is not a Gestalt psychology principle here's a grouping strategy that makes it super clear what's connected to what right clear association between buttons and labels by the way a classic problem in web forms for blind people is that the association is clear visually but it's not made in such a way that a screen reader can extract it and actually give them the same information okay here's an example of this elevator button Slide 59 problem on an old version of the Facebook site all right so unless you think these are theoretical only they show up all the time in real-world interfaces that millions of people use Slide 60-61 okay so there are some well-tested visual grouping strategies that work proximity is a really good one similarity Works to connections work things that you can translate into good design at the same time reaction time is logarithmically related to the number of options so you don't want to go to an excessive number of different groups if you have studied this what essentially is going on is that people tend to use binary search when they're looking at a long list of things so that's just how we're hardwired to do search and also tend to assume there's a logic to the ordering which can be worse than random, if you're searching for something. Slide 62 So minimize the number of options because with every additional choice that you add it will take more time for people to select another interesting facet of humans is how many things they can remember so there's heard of it but from hdi's for sex Slide 63 7 plus or minus 2 that is a good number of things to expect people may be to memorize beyond that you're asking too much of your user Slide 64 of course here we have a grouping strategy much easier to remember this number and I haven't updated it since Pittsburgh if that had a 206 it would be even faster for you to memorize if you're used to the phone numbers around here Slide 65 right here's an example of chunking in practice from a Microsoft product so the idea is that it's easier to remember we are many thousands of things are that you might want to use in your word document if they're grouped in ways that are in a smaller number of groups he can see there's one two three four five six seven eight nine ten groups Slide 66-67 type what else are we going to have time I guess I just wanted to say that to short-term memory so long term memory is essentially unbounded when something is learned you have a lot of space to learn things so that's one of the reasons why experts do better than novices cuz they can draw on their long-term memory Slide 68 so the the Practical impact of this is that you can't count on memory to be Slide 69 there it's better to rely on what we call recognition people are much more reliable and faster at recognizing seen before then recalling it and this recognition rather than recall a sort of a basic tenet of good HCI design Slide 70 so we got to the mall just barely with 2 minutes left this is my summary of all of them basically human physiology drives design and good design is not only reflects you and Physiology but is also acceptable so I'm going to leave this up and ask if there are any questions about any of these design tips or anything else before we close it's not thank you for joining me for this little tour of experiments and please remember to leave your neat text