Announcements

Weekly Schedule

Course Staff

(Click our faces!)
Staff Mini-Bio: Justin
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? WHAT WAS YOUR ACADEMIC PATH?
Until 2016, I lived my entire life in various parts of the Bay Area (California). I spent 12 years at UC Berkeley getting all my degrees (BS, MS, PhD). Now a CSE Assistant Teaching Professor at UW!  😃

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
- ultimate frisbee, board games, hiking, camping, singing (a cappella)
- I am decently dexterous with my left hand.
- I can solve a few variants of the Rubik's Cube (I am NOT a speedcuber).

HAVE YOU DONE OR EXPERIENCED ANYTHING REMARKABLE OR MEMORABLE?
- So I have this story that involves kayaking, sea lions, a long night on a rock beach, a 🚁, and the coast guard...
- I once 🏃 a marathon. It was long.

WHAT COMMITMENTS WILL BE CONSUMING YOUR CYCLES THIS QUARTER?
- Co-teaching CSE333
- Taking care of my newborn 👶
- Coordinating the upcoming summer instructors

Justin Hsia

Instructor
jhsia@cs.uw.edu
Staff Mini-Bio: Travis
- I spent most of my time before college in Tampa Florida. I came here to study Computer Engineering, and I got interested in teaching via the undergraduate TA program. I have graduated from the BS/MS and I am pursuing a career in CSE education!

- I am a big music fan with broad interests. Feel free to ask me about it!
- I play guitar, and have been trying to transcribe guitar tabs for some songs.
- I also like reading (Norwegian Wood is a favourite), and video games (The Talos Principle, KOTOR, & FNV are favourites).

- I've had the privilege to travel some, and I got to visit Hong Kong!
- Some music pieces invoke a feeling of Frisson in me. It is a great feeling and I would 100% recommend trying to find what triggers it for you.

- My main focus will be teaching this class and helping you!
- I am also on a job hunt for lecturer positions that start in fall.

Travis McGaha

Instructor
tqmcgaha@cs.uw.edu
Staff Mini-Bio: Atharva
- I grew up in Mumbai, India, and moved to California in 2011. I've been doing comp-sci related stuff since middle school, and was admitted to the UW for CS in 2019. This will be my first time TAing, so looking forward to the experience!

- In my free time, I enjoy binging stuff on Netflix, reading manga, and speedcubing. A particular talent I have is that I can solve a Rubik's Cube in about 20 seconds.

- I'm not an adventurous person by nature, so I'm not able to think of anything in particular!

- Other than TAing for this class, I'm going to be taking CSE 421, CSE 444, and MATH 324.

Atharva Deodhar

TA
adeodhar@cs.uw.edu
Section BA
Staff Mini-Bio: Callum
- I was born in Orangeville, Ontario, Canada but have lived in Washington State for 20 years. I grew up in Duvall and am currently in my final quarter as an undergrad studying Computer Science at UW!

- In my free time I like to develop video games, make 2D and 3D digital art, and compose music.

- Last school year I had the awesome experience of participating in the Animation Capstone!

- In addition to TA-ing this class, I'll be working hard looking for career opportunities and in CSE 344 and 451!

Callum Walker

TA
calluw@cs.uw.edu
Section AE/BC
Staff Mini-Bio: Cosmo Wang
- I grew up in a small town in China and moved to Seattle four years ago. I spent my first year at UW trying to become a math major and started to study computer science from my second year. Now I'm a 5th Year Master student.

- I love Japanese anime and video games. I am a crazy Monster Hunter fan!! I also enjoy hiking and traveling (pre-COVID of course).

- I studied abroad in Vienna during spring quarter of my freshman year and had one of the best times of my life! Austria is such fantastic place to travel and live in.

- This quarter besides taking regular courses, I will activaly prepare myself to instruct the course over the summer!

Cosmo Wang

TA
yw259@cs.uw.edu
Section AC & BD
Staff Mini-Bio: Dylan Hartono
- I grew up in Lynnwood, Washington and went to Edmonds-Woodway High School! Now, I am a sophomore studying CS!

- I run long distance! I am training for a half-marathon in April!

- I have watched every studio ghibli movie!

- I work at a boba tea place, and I am the secretary for THE KOMPANY, a k-pop dance club at UW!
- CSE 452 and CSE 446 (hmu if you're taking a class with me!)

Dylan Hartono

TA
hdylan1@cs.uw.edu
Section AD/BB
Staff Mini-Bio: Elizabeth
- I grew up in Los Angeles before coming to Seattle for college, and I'm back in LA for now while taking classes online.
- I started learning to code with LEGO Mindstorms as a kid, but I didn't take it very seriously until I had a few teachers in high school who really encouraged me.

- Playing French horn. I was in the UW Symphony in Freshman and Sophomore year, and Wind Ensemble the first two quarters of this year.
- Some of my favorite hobbies are baking, listening to music (mostly rock and metal, but I like everything), and playing Magic: the Gathering.

- Can't think of a single thing T_T

- Taking 451 (OS), and hopefully playing lots of French horn and working on personal coding projects.

Elizabeth Haker

TA
ehaker1@cs.uw.edu
Section AB
Staff Mini-Bio: Eric
- I've lived in Redmond, WA for most of my life, but before that I lived in Boston, MA and India. I started programming in 9th grade, and kept it up throughout high school. I ended up liking it, so I applied to UW CS. Here, I've really enjoyed all of the lower-level and theory classes, like 351, 333 and 421!

- I enjoy running, playing spikeball and pickup football. A "talent" I spent a weekend cultivating is learning how to roll a quarter over my knuckles

- I'm a New England Patriots fan. I watched Superbowl 49 around a bunch of Seahawks fans

- CSE331, CSE461, CSE473

Eric Marnadi

TA
emarnadi@cs.uw.edu
Staff Mini-Bio: Kyrie
I am a born and raised Pacific Northwest girl. Originally I wanted to study sports medicine, but after taking my first CS class I changed paths. Now I am a junior in Computer Engineering and I don't regret it a bit.

- I love hiking, camping, rocking climbing, and basically any other outdoor activity. If it gets me out of the house, I'm there (pre-covid of course).
- I've been listening to a lot of narrative podcasts and audiobooks.
- I can make pretzels.

I've run up a mountain twice. It was as awful as you're probably thinking, but the view at the top was definitely worth it.

- I'm taking CSE 484, CSE 341, CSE 492T, and MATH 318 along side TAing for all you lovely people!

Kyrie Dowling

TA
kyrdo@cs.uw.edu
Section AB & BA
Staff Mini-Bio: Leo Liao
- I grew up in Sichuan, China and went to high school in Sacramento, CA before coming up to WA.
- My original plan was to learn physics but I got too involved with computers through coding physics simulation. So now I'm a junior in CS

- Hobby: listen to audiobooks, messing with cmd (try echo -e "\033(0" :)
- Talent: NULL
- Skill: playing flute

- Made a (really cool) Minecraft animated short for CSE 457 (computer graphics) last quarter

- Besides TAing, I'll be taking OS (451), Computer Vision (455), Games Capstone (?), and Math318

Hope yall learn a lot from 333!

Leo Liao

TA
leol15@cs.uw.edu
Section AE/BC
Staff Mini-Bio: Markus Schiffer
- I've lived in Bellevue, Washington for my entire life. I attended Interlake High School, and of all college level coursework I did in high school, AP CS was my favorite, and I've known I wanted to major in CS since then. Within CS at UW, my favorite classes thus far have been systems classes (such as 333 or 452).

- My most unique hobby is flying model airplanes, which I've been doing for about 13 years! I also really enjoy skiing, albeit I'm still pretty new to it. Pre-pandemic I really liked playing card/board games with my friends and family. I used to be more of a gamer than now, but still play time to time. Heads up, I may disappear around when the Mass Effect remaster comes out, please don't tell Justin 😉.

- I've been to two hypnotist shows I can remember, both times in the audience. I still can't believe that stuff actually works on people. One time, the hypnotist got a hypnotized participant to hit on her and all the sudden he started speaking in Spanish!

- This quarter I'll be taking CSE 478, 455, and PHYS 121 (RIP me). I'm also involved in research with the PRL MuSHR team and the Security and Privacy Lab. I'm open to talk with anyone who has questions about research/TAing/classes!

Markus Schiffer

TA
schifm2@cs.uw.edu
Section AD/BB
Staff Mini-Bio: Neha Nagvekar
- I grew up in Redmond, Washington! I've always been a little interested in CS, but I really loved taking the intro class here at UW and have been TAing since then. I'm now nearing the end of my junior year.

- I love drawing/animation, binging webcomics, taking long naps with the cat, and trying to finding relatively abandoned trails nearby to explore.

- Nothing in particular, but hopefully once quarantine is over!

- As far as coursework goes, I'll be taking CSE 452 (distributed systems) and 484 (security). Of course, I'll also be TAing this course, which is gonna be the fun part of my schedule!

Neha Nagvekar

TA
nneha@cs.uw.edu
Section AC
Staff Mini-Bio: Nonthakit Chaiwong
- I grew up in Rayong, an eastern city of Thailand. Since I was a kid, I love everything related to Math and Science, and started to have particular interested in computer in senior high school. I'm now senior in UW, major in CSE and minor in Physics. ⚛

- I love hiking and rock climbing! 🏔 But I haven't done them for a while since epidemic started...
- I like to play boardgame. My favorite categories are CO-OP and puzzle. (Unlock, Exit, and Detective 🔍 are some of my favorite.)

- When I was in high school, I was in robotic team. There was one competition where we need to control our robot to move star-shaped ⭐ object to opponent's side. Instead of scooping, my team came up with a ridiculous idea of launcing objects to the other side like catapult! 🌠 Not the best idea, but the result was hilarious! I still remember the sight of the objects stucking on opponent's robot because of this!

- I'll be taken CSE 331 (Software design), 341 (Programming language) and 490 W (wireless communication) this quarter. I will also have a programming competition somewhere in the middle of this quarter too.

Nonthakit Chaiwong

TA
chaiwn@cs.uw.edu
Section AE/BC
Staff Mini-Bio: Ramya Challa
I grew up in Sammamish, Washington for most of my life. I started out playing with LEGO and came here hoping to do robotics research. Now, I'm a second year in computer science and hoping to work with robotics in the future.

- mechanical keyboards, crime shows, listening to audiobooks (please give recs)
- I like board games, just haven't been able to play as much since we went online
- I've been attempting to learn CAD and PCB design

I got to feed elephants at a sanctuary in Thailand a few years ago. Pretty sure there's still some dirt embedded in my watch from being slobbered on.

I'll be taking CSE478, CSE455, and finishing off my first year of taking ASL. Maybe some research? We'll see how it goes.

Ramya Challa

TA
ramyac6@cs.uw.edu
Section BD

Asking Questions & Getting Help

It is very important to us that you succeed in CSE 333! Outside of lectures and sections, there are several ways to ask questions or discuss course issues:
  1. Visit office hours (see the Schedule)! In addition, if you need extra time or need to discuss something in private, feel free to email and/or make an appointment (details below).
  2. Request a 1-on-1 (see 1-on-1 request form here)! If you feel like you need extra time, can't make it to OH, or want to discuss something privately, please feel free to request a 1-on-1 from the staff!
  3. Make a public post about course content on the , where they benefit the whole class. This also allows other students to answer your question so can receive a faster response. This is the best way of asking questions about class-related topics.
  4. Make a private post to just the course staff on the with any questions or issues you would prefer to discuss privately. While you can email staff members individually when that makes sense, contacting the whole staff via the ed discussion board is generally preferred to get a faster response and to let the whole staff see what issues students are having.
  5. Send to the course staff. The instructor will try to address the issue and share it with others only as appropriate, but will not have a way to reply to you without addressing the whole class.