CSE326
Summer 2004
Assignment 1
6/21/2004
Due: At beginning of class, Thursday 6/24/2004

This is a pencil-and-paper assignment.  You are not asked to write actual code!

1. Solve one of the "word search" puzzles you have from today's lecture (you don't have to turn in your actual solution).  After thinking about it, write one page at most on: a) how a computer program could generate such a puzzle and b) how a computer program could solve such a puzzle.

Your writing might include some of these considerations: any important assumptions that have to be made; any questions that would need to be answered; what data structures might be appropriate; what algorithms might be used; or anything else you feel is of primary importance in coming up with a computer solution.

2. Background self-assessment.  Chapter 1 of the Weiss textbook should be largely review if you had CSE143 and CSE321 at UW.  Please read through all of the exercises at the end of the chapter, and for each one, state briefly your reaction to it using the following code.  You are not asked to turn in your answers to the exercises themselves!
0. I know this material already and can easily answer the question
1. I know this material already and can answer the question after some review and effort
2. I know this material but still have trouble answering the question
3. I didn't know the material already but I understand it after reading the chapter and can now confidently get the answer
4. I don't know the material and don't know how to get the answer