CSE 160 - HW6 - Advice from 14wi students: "What do you wish you had known before you started? What would you do differently? What advice would you offer to future students?" -------------------------------------------------------- "Two blocks of code do not have to be completely identical in order to have the potential to be replaced by the same function. Perhaps a parameter could be added to the new function that would allow the function to meet the different requirements of the blocks of code that are calling it. If you find yourself copying and pasting a line of code repeatedly and then making minor variations, it is worth asking yourself if those minor variations could be indices of a list, or keys of a dictionary, through which your code could iterate." "My advice is that its going to take longer than you think for me it was specifically at the end that this happened as this is where you have to organize all your previous work in the main function in the most efficient way you can plan. Also as with past assignment taking notes on paper and planning out functions before writing code saved me a lot of time. " I had so many errors that I had to take 3 late days to sort them all out, but in the end it was very cool to see a program I had written from scratch. I started a week before the deadline but still was unable to complete on time. Next time, I would be more careful and consistent when writing the code to eliminate possible errors. Conceptually, I understood this assignment for the most part. I did get stuck a lot towards the end. Working on this assignment and the final project was stressful. Start early as usual and go to office hours. I wish I would have known how to do more helper functions and the complicated problems like problem 4.(use more practice) I would have gone to more office hours for guidance. 1) The difference between docstrings and comments and when they're used. 2) Start earlier. And write docstrings while writing the code. 3) Start early, and write the docstrings as you're coding each function. Eh, my main problem was that I had the end parts right previously, but I overwrote it to fix other elements of the code and somehow it itself got corrupted. Classic coding mistake, I guess. Next time, I'd keep a copy of working functions commented out or something until the end so I could use them as reference if I screwed something up. I would suggest future students to start working on this assignment earlier, because I think this assignment is one of the very hard assignment in this class should go through all specification Just be careful of little things. This homework is different from previous ones, and everyone should spend more time on this homework. And this homework is well designed! I have to factor some code to make a new function This is a really good one to start early and keep everything very well documented.