CSE 160 - HW3 - Advice from 15sp students: "What do you wish you had known before you started? What would you do differently? What advice would you offer to future students?" -------------------------------------------------------- Read! Plan! Don't start on the code right off the bat. You'll end up missing something or (perhaps worse) coding the wrong thing. start homework really early I should start earlier. review some concept of functions and start early I wish I would have known how to read files better because it took me a fairly long time to understand how to do problem 6 of the homework. I would read what each function does carefully so you know where to correctly implement them. If I were to do this differently I would have left more time to complete the assignment. At first when I read the assignment, it didn't seem like it would take that long, but in reality it took a lot longer and was much harder than the first two assignments. What I would have done differently was start a lot earlier and read the whole assignment multiple time and made sure I understood everything before starting on the assignment. I would tell students to practice working with functions and creating functions before attempting the assignment. I wish I'd review the slides and make sure I understand all the material taught in class before I approach the homework. Understand how to call functions better. Read the homework more clearly before writing the code. Understanding the meaning of the function is helpful to get to the end. To think how each function work. I wish I had known blurring alogrithm. It was hard to understand which stopped me from starting writing codes early. I would start to read the assignment earlier and ask for clarification from prof or TA. Advice: Please start early. I kept trying to implement two functions in one. Take a second to really read and think about what each function is doing and when it will be called, it makes it simpler to implement certain tasks individually instead of trying to combine them Follow advice from prior year students! Read the entire assignment, start early and take a break when hit a wall. Do all the reading beforehand - that helps you know what tools you have to solve the problem. Read HW carefully and use all the functions that you can use to concise your code. I would say to make sure you are using the correct brackets. I had a lot of trouble thinking my code was wrong, when really I just got confused with when to use [ ] or ( ) Read instruction over and over. Completely understand the program. Before start writing the program, plan the program on a paper. Draw or write the steps down and sometimes think of your own example of a grid. Make sure to follow the instruction step by step because there are calling functions inside another function. I wish I had known how difficult it is to copy a list properly. That would've sped up the time it took me to write the program. I would advise future students to listen to Ruth's hints! I wish I'd known more about appending before I started this assignment. --------------------------------------------------------